Question on Cans

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

sdeshazo

Question on Cans

Post by sdeshazo »

I want one can that I can use on my AR-15 & my M&P 15-22, my plan was to buy the same flash hider & just switch between the two guns.
So with this in mind what can should I go with, the best bang for the buck or I guess the least bank for the buck? :D
I've got a local YHM & Gentech dealer.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Question on Cans

Post by JasonAAC »

best deal- Tac-16.

its not a great can, but it IS cheap, and you'll need a take-apart can in order to clean it after .22 use.

You're better off getting a dedicated servicable .22 can AND a 5.56 (or 30 cal) can for their respective uses. YMMV.
Kick Ass Design
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Yes, 22 is dirty, you need take apart. Also .556 can is heavy for a 22 rifle.

.556/223 is loud anyway even with can so get a good 22 can and enjoy on 22 rifles and pistols! Then later a 308 can for all your rifle needs. I'm doubting you will only own those two guns forevers. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
BretJ
Silent Operator

Post by BretJ »

Thompson Machine just released (is going to release?) their "Sixteen" and "Thirty" cans (5.56 and 7.62 respectively). I believe both are user servicable. If they are, I am buying the "Thirty" to use on my 7.62s and rimfire rifles. Depending on dimensions and weight, I may even use them on my rimfire pistols. I sent a letter to the company asking for more specs. I will let you know what they say. One can/One stamp...if it works, it's a damn sight cheaper.
"The opposite of hero is not villain. It is bystander."

"In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty."
Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
Greg Kulbick
Silent But Deadly

Post by Greg Kulbick »

Hey Bret!
www.renegade-armament.com
01 FFL/03 SOT
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

For limited .22LR use you could buy just about any stainless/inconel/titanium 5.56 can and just clean it in the dip. Would not recommend it for high-volume .22LR though.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
BretJ
Silent Operator

Post by BretJ »

Greg Kulbick wrote:Hey Bret!
Hi Greg! Thanks for your patience btw. Wife is warming to the thought so I have to be very diplomatic and smart in my purchase. I have the edge though. It's my 50th birthday so I can use that to good effect (but only once).
"The opposite of hero is not villain. It is bystander."

"In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty."
Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Jason and Emilio said it....You really do need two suppressors. A thirty cal suppressor will do everything you need in 5.56, and 7.62 (I just ordered a Gem-Tech Sandstorm). I have a Thompson Machine Zephyr XL for my .22 needs, you really do want a dedicated .22 silencer, light weight, quiet, and cheap. List on a ZephyrXL (as an example) is $240. cheap enough to have both.