Attach a grip to a silencer on a micro pistol?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Attach a grip to a silencer on a micro pistol?

Post by Blaubart »

I got an idea while reading the thread on full size cans on micro pistols.

So, the ATF says silencers are firearms, but do they define them as pistols or rifles?

...and when they say you can't attach a foregrip to a pistol, can you attach one to something else that's attached to a pistol? Or attach it to a "firearm" that's attached to your pistol?

The reason I ask, is when I look at the picture that strobro32 posted, that seems very unwieldy and I'd be tempted to support the silencer with my left hand while firing. But, that would only work for the first magazine.

Which brings me to the idea of attaching a grip to a silencer. :D

(I think I know what the end result would be if I did it and it was brought to the attention of the ATF, but I'm just wondering if they've ever issued an opinion on it.)

Strobro32's pic:

"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Attach a grip to a silencer on a micro pistol?

Post by JasonAAC »

I have no idea of legality, but it would screw up cycling on a tilting barrel action.
Kick Ass Design
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

On a fixed barrel gun , i could see it as a good idea (if legal) then just a d a small reddot ala Doctor or clone

one of the seldom instances that writing the ATF might be a good idea

to turn it upside down , is there any rules that prevent a can from having a grip
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

wolf wrote:to turn it upside down , is there any rules that prevent a can from having a grip
That's what I'm saying. From a legal standpoint, we're talking about two separate "firearms". They aren't treating silencers as accessories to a actual firearms, so why should we? If silencers are not classified as handguns, but simply "firearms", then why not?

You still can't attach a stock to the handgun, so I guess this isn't a cheap and easy way to get a subgun, but it would still be cool if it could be done without winding up in jail.

But... what if you attached a stock to the silencer. :lol:
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

I can't speak to the legality of anything, but I'd hate to have my hand on a grip underneath that thing if I got a catastrophic baffle strike! :cry:
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Just make a heat shield out of Kevlar between the can and grip 8)

the stock to can is also brilliant , that would mean you really get something for you $ 200 tax stamp

HK P7 with a can and reddot + a stock :wink:
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Blaubart wrote:From a legal standpoint, we're talking about two separate "firearms".
Not to rain on your parade, but if you mount a 12-gauge AOW under an M16, you have converted the 12-gauge to "redesigned to be fired from the shoulder", magically transforming it into an SBS. Even though we're talking about two separate firearms.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

JohnnyC wrote:I can't speak to the legality of anything, but I'd hate to have my hand on a grip underneath that thing if I got a catastrophic baffle strike! :cry:
Try to look at Garretts avatar :shock: :wink: those Mac shooters have there hands AROUND the can while shooting fullauto
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

wolf wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:I can't speak to the legality of anything, but I'd hate to have my hand on a grip underneath that thing if I got a catastrophic baffle strike! :cry:
Try to look at Garretts avatar :shock: :wink: those Mac shooters have there hands AROUND the can while shooting fullauto
I know. And I cringe every time I see it. I know it's probably as safe as anything else, but I'd rather get a Lage upper and use the foregrip.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Most of the baffle strikes I have seen happen further down the suppressor.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

wolf wrote:
Funny thing is, you can almost guarantee to get a baffle strike if you don't hold the can. You hold the can on to keep it tight. When you let go, it loosens and that's when you get strikes.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

I'm going to go with Garrett.

Pistol grip on a can = Legal
Pistol grip on a can attached to a pistol = illegal (you now have a pistol with a forward vertical grip)

I still say write the ATF. I'd love to see this as a work-around.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Prince Yamato wrote:I still say write the ATF. I'd love to see this as a work-around.
I'll just wait a few months for the ATF to finally get shut down. I'm sure the cops here in MT won't give a rats ass as long as I'm not doing anything stupid with it. :lol:
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Here's what I'd consider to be a better question:

If you have an integrally suppressed AOW, does it transfer on a $200 stamp, a $5 stamp, or both?
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

I think part of the way many suppressors work depends on the silencer vibrating like a tuning-fork . A handle would dampen the vibrations , and possibly impair the total efficiency of the can ... I also think the ATF would view the addition of the forward grip to a pistol as making an AOW ...