Outrage over Netflix rate hike continues

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Outrage over Netflix rate hike continues

Post by Hush »

Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Re: Outrage over Netflix rate hike continues

Post by LeftEyeMike »

Yep. Im going to drop dvd delivery, looks like my local Blockbuster is going to get more of my money.
the_accuser
Silent But Deadly

Post by the_accuser »

I know I am going to reduce my plan to the streaming only but I may just cancel the whole thing. Netflix isn't as great as I thought is was going to be.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

I can't see any reason for "Outrage". It's not like they're the only provider of an essential service. If you don't like it, don't do business with them. Plain and simple.

I currently subscribe to their streaming + 1 DVD rental option. I will be dropping them before Sept 1st.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

They're free to price it where they want, I'm free to buy it or not.

I do streaming only and had planned on adding a dvd option to get some of the "dvd only" titles, but won't now. Disappointed? A little. Outraged? No.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I've had the streaming +1 DVD package for a few years now. I'll probably drop it before too long.

not outraged. Just have better things to do with my time.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Russian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Russian »

xx
Last edited by Russian on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I doubt ISPs will limit data to the extent it affects streaming. With cloud storage, streaming, and centralized services it wouldnt make any sense. I do see redbox and blockbuster going away in 5-10 years though. DVD's will go with them.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

I don't see hardwired ISP's going to any sort of pay for what you use bandwidth any time soon because that's one of their selling points that differentiates them from wireless data plans.

One thing that drives me nuts with streaming video from Redbox and other sources, is that you don't get the DVD menu. Which means you miss out on some of the extras, and you also miss out on captions, which I find handy since I'm a little hard of hearing and we like to watch a movie after the kids go to be every now and then.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
YourCoWorker
Senior Silent Operator

Post by YourCoWorker »

I have the one out at a time service and we stream over the Wii and Roku player. Just for the kids streaming all their shows, I have said a dozen times, it is worth $50 a month. They are into everything from '70s TV junk, to decades of old PG movies. I was shocked when they first offered streaming for free. A few bucks extra a month, well, fine for now.
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

Blaubart wrote:I don't see hardwired ISP's going to any sort of pay for what you use bandwidth any time soon because that's one of their selling points that differentiates them from wireless data plans.

One thing that drives me nuts with streaming video from Redbox and other sources, is that you don't get the DVD menu. Which means you miss out on some of the extras, and you also miss out on captions, which I find handy since I'm a little hard of hearing and we like to watch a movie after the kids go to be every now and then.
I'm 100% with this. I like the extra features with the DVDs,i.e. how the movie was made, actor biographies, commentaries, etc. And, I don't know if it's my hearing or poor soundtracks, but sometimes the captions are a real help. Streaming is going to have to get a lot better before I encompass it more.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Blaubart wrote:I don't see hardwired ISP's going to any sort of pay for what you use bandwidth any time soon because that's one of their selling points that differentiates them from wireless data plans.
(Rant mode)
Exactly.

Since the telegraph was invented, wired communications always has and always will beat out wireless in terms of speed. Need more bandwidth? Run another wire or isolate network segments to reduce overhead.

Second, hardwired ISP's have always limited data usage by simply throttling your max bandwith. First it was by how fast your modem was. Now it is done via software over the network, at least that is how my ISP does it. They say up to 20/2Mb and they mean it. Your transfer rate is capped at that data rate and that's fine by me. If I want more that badly they offer plans that give me higher limits.

For some reason, self-important cell phone twits have screwed themselves with an iPhone sideways by being so vocal about cell providers throttling bandwidth hogs. So since they were so butthurt about not being able to watch YouTubeHD on their phone 24/7 or run a server farm through an iPhone, providers decided to just go all out and charge data based on amount used.

Now they are complaining even more, totally oblivious to the fact that it was they who put the gun in their own mouth and pulled the trigger. They should have praised the providers for working to avert a tragedy of the commons and working toward reasonably fast service at a reasonable price. Instead they proudly parroted their ignorance, oblivious of what it takes to maintain a communications system of even modest size and the difficulties of building and maintaining such a system over such a wide geographic area over an extended period of time. They wanted to have their cake and eat it, then get pissed when providers try to make sure there is enough cake for everyone by limiting how many pieces someone can have at once, so the providers just said "screw it" and charge for cake by the slice.

Welcome to the real world people.

(/Rant mode)

Late, tired, probably some mistakes in here.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
driver6814
Silent But Deadly

Post by driver6814 »

Good one, You're right