Prodigy or Quest

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

If you have a Scarab that you are having modified to take apart, why would you buy another stainless take apart can?

The advantage I see in aluminum cans is the lower weight so, I'm leaning towards an Aviator as a complement to my Scarab. If I don't shoot full-auto 22lr, I think by the time I need to clean out an Aviator by replacing it, the 50% cost of a retail upgrade which will run me ~$225 is insignificant compared to the cost of all the shooting I did to get to that point.

Of course, I could also get an SWR Warlock and take advantage of what I perceive to be a better service policy on a can that is full of lead. Again, since I don't shoot full-auto 22lr that feature isn't as significant to me personally for pure suppressor function reasons. Great customer service and customer support after the sale has some value all its own. SWR seems to have the edge in this specific scenario.

Personally, I think I will enjoy shooting my Scarab for a long time. When it is full and needs a cleaning I can't do with it sealed up, then I will either pay the %50 fee to AAC or, I will have it modified to become a take apart can.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Remember that AAC's policy of 50% of retail is WORST case (such as if you destroy it on purpose and smash it with a sledge hammer). They often charge much less. Other companies worst case is FULL RETAIL. So remember not to compare worse-case from AAC with best-case from other companies.
jordan131
Silent Operator

Post by jordan131 »

Sid Post wrote:If you have a Scarab that you are having modified to take apart, why would you buy another stainless take apart can?

The advantage I see in aluminum cans is the lower weight so, I'm leaning towards an Aviator as a complement to my Scarab.

Of course, I could also get an SWR Warlock and take advantage of what I perceive to be a better service policy on a can that is full of lead.

Personally, I think I will enjoy shooting my Scarab for a long time. When it is full and needs a cleaning I can't do with it sealed up, then I will either pay the %50 fee to AAC or, I will have it modified to become a take apart can.
The Scarab was my first and only 22 can, and it gets shared on a lot of host. I would probably get another if it was still available.

The weight is a non issue for me. I actually like having the extra weight with some setups, like the Glock 19 with the AA conversion kit. Fully loaded, the whole setup only weighs 16.6 oz. The Scarb adds some much needed heft and make it feel more like shooting the G19 with Evo9 attached.

SWR does have the reputation of fantastic customer service, but they do charge a fee ($65?) for cleaning after the initial return which is free. However companies and policies change, and I would rather be able to do the cleaning safely myself rather than have to mail it off and wait...

I wouldn't wait till it was filled up to get it modified - it might be impossible to get the baffle stack out then. I've added about an ounce to my scarab after several bricks of ammo, and I plan to send it off very soon. I was keeping track for a while on the weight increase - I believe it was on track to gain an ounce after 3-5k rounds of Rem golden bullet bulk packs. One big plus of the prodigy is the tapered tube...if only it was stainless. My ideal would have been a serial numbered stainless core with a carbon fiber tube but it seems the ATF wouldn't go along=( I believe AAC made a few stainless versions of the prodigy for testing last year and I made Keven an offer on one of those but never heard back.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

rsilvers wrote:Remember that AAC's policy of 50% of retail is WORST case (such as if you destroy it on purpose and smash it with a sledge hammer). They often charge much less. Other companies worst case is FULL RETAIL. So remember not to compare worse-case from AAC with best-case from other companies.
That's a good thought to keep in mind. With all the welding AAC does these days, I figured that most cases would involve making a new can with the old information.

Screw together cans would be easier to make simple fixes on for things like a baffle strike or cleaning before the 22lr can welds itself together. I like the AAC cans though because they do in fact weld things together for a lighter weight and very robust suppressor.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Sid Post wrote:
rsilvers wrote:Remember that AAC's policy of 50% of retail is WORST case (such as if you destroy it on purpose and smash it with a sledge hammer). They often charge much less. Other companies worst case is FULL RETAIL. So remember not to compare worse-case from AAC with best-case from other companies.
That's a good thought to keep in mind. With all the welding AAC does these days, I figured that most cases would involve making a new can with the old information.

Screw together cans would be easier to make simple fixes on for things like a baffle strike or cleaning before the 22lr can welds itself together. I like the AAC cans though because they do in fact weld things together for a lighter weight and very robust suppressor.
AAC can mill off a front end cap and weld a new one on. It is no more difficult for them to do that than it would be for most silencers.
f.2
Silent But Deadly

SRT integral

Post by f.2 »

As far as suppressors that you can disassemble, does the integral SRT Arms Buckmark or Ruger integral count? I heard that you can remove the suppressor for cleaning. Anyone with an SRT integrral, can the suppressor can be taken off the bbl and allow cleaning of the chamber area? Pics of disassembly please?
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Not totally on topic, but I thought it worth mentioning considering sealed cans came up, as well as AAC's warranty policy of up to 50% worst case. I sent an e-mail to Gemtech just for schitzengiggles in regards to their policy for sending in an Outback full of lead. This is verbatim from the e-mail I received back.

<i>1) We charge $150.00 for our rebuild service. We remove your old baffle stack and replace it with a brand new set of internals. While overall service life can vary widely depending on the type and frequency of shooting you do, a rebuild should not be necessary before 20,000 rounds. We have Outback-II units that have gone between 20,000 and 50,000 rounds before requiring rebuild. Although they were pretty full of lead build-up at that point, when metered we found they were still hearing safe.</i>

What's AAC's policy regarding this type of stuff? Do they replace all internals as well? What kind of fee do they charge for their sealed cans? I would imagine that the 50% deal would definitely not apply as cleaning out a can is no where near worst case scenario. Not trying to start anything, just thought maybe someone else would like the details too.
Wraith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wraith »

The stainless Quest would look bad ass on my stainless Ruger MkII. I think that would be a sweet set up. Anyone shoot a Quest next to any other .22 cans? If so, how do they compare when it comes to sound reduction?
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Always out numbered, never outgunned.
Mom... Dad... I'm gaelic.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Will AAC you will basically get a new can back. I am not sure the price. However, I disagree that replacing replacing virtually every component is no wear near worst case. How could it be much worse than that?
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

JohnnyC wrote:Not totally on topic, but I thought it worth mentioning considering sealed cans came up, as well as AAC's warranty policy of up to 50% worst case. I sent an e-mail to Gemtech just for schitzengiggles in regards to their policy for sending in an Outback full of lead. This is verbatim from the e-mail I received back.

<i>1) We charge $150.00 for our rebuild service. We remove your old baffle stack and replace it with a brand new set of internals. While overall service life can vary widely depending on the type and frequency of shooting you do, a rebuild should not be necessary before 20,000 rounds. We have Outback-II units that have gone between 20,000 and 50,000 rounds before requiring rebuild. Although they were pretty full of lead build-up at that point, when metered we found they were still hearing safe.</i>

What's AAC's policy regarding this type of stuff? Do they replace all internals as well? What kind of fee do they charge for their sealed cans? I would imagine that the 50% deal would definitely not apply as cleaning out a can is no where near worst case scenario. Not trying to start anything, just thought maybe someone else would like the details too.
Hearing safe is 139.9dB and let me tell you that is VERY loud. Its louder than your average 223 can. "Hearing safe" is loud and on a filled up 22 can you might as well not have a can on, since is going to be almost a loud as without it.
07FFL 02 SOT
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If you fire 1 shot every 30 seconds, on a rifle using CCI ammo, it will go much longer than if you do full auto on a 3.5 inch barrel using junk ammo.
HOT RAM

Re: Prodigy or Quest

Post by HOT RAM »

The stainless Quest would look bad ass on my stainless Ruger MkII. I think that would be a sweet set up. Anyone shoot a Quest next to any other .22 cans? If so, how do they compare when it comes to sound reduction?

Very same reasoning I used when buying mine ...
Fair sound reduction (most shots,but it is erratic,some are LOUD) and has very nasty FRP :cry:
HOT RAM

Post by HOT RAM »

I am sending my Quest to The Silencer Store for a rebuild.It is ok but nothing to brag about as far as sound reduction.I want it it as quiet as it can possibly be.
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

I have two Quest cans, they are well made & work pretty well. They are quiet enough, but not in AAC league.
I paid a little over $200 a piece for them new, and they are definitely worth that. Still quiet enough for most people.
I do always use a little lithium grease in them on pistols. The FRP is pretty noticeable, too.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

I have a prodigy, with a Ruger mk3 22/45 as a host. Ridiculously quiet, easy to service (get aac's wrench set for the endcaps). It was my first can...and I don't see getting another 22 can unless I need a can for 22mag, 17hmr or the like.

Also, the prodigy is SUPER light! It really feels like nothing is on th end of the gun!

Highly recommend the prodigy, but I have only shot a few other 22 cans