Tax free cans?

Company specific discussions and announcements.
distrflman

Re: Tax free cans?

Post by distrflman »

It will be the TREK-T
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 40G27 »

BLACK XS wrote:The IT filters here at work keep me from checking the Gemtech site myself (yet I can come here.. "shrug")
And you can't get the hint?
BLACK XS
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLACK XS »

40G27 wrote:
BLACK XS wrote:The IT filters here at work keep me from checking the Gemtech site myself (yet I can come here.. "shrug")
And you can't get the hint?
Oh I got the hint, I just don't care.
300BLKforums.com
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

It was announced on their site on the 18th that it is the Trek-T this year.

Does anyone know much about this can? Could I use it on my 22/250 with a 24" barrel? If not, that would be a deal killer for me...
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Blaubart wrote:It was announced on their site on the 18th that it is the Trek-T this year.

Does anyone know much about this can? Could I use it on my 22/250 with a 24" barrel? If not, that would be a deal killer for me...
The Trek line of cans replaces the old M402 can, which was an excellent can for the money. The sale is for the Trek Titanium model. You should contact Gemtech directly to see if it will handle the 22-250, it might be ablt to handle it especially on a bolt gun.
MyGunsmith

Post by MyGunsmith »

Hi guy's; sorry I didn't think to follow up on the topic on the 18th (the day Gemtech chose to make their decision known). I did have a chance to both look online and speak with them and it is as supposed, the Trek. In this case the Trek-T with 'T' for Titanium with an MSRF of $1,100 and a tax sale period of April 18th thru May 1st.

That is one spendy 5.56 can, but on a positive side; light weight is always a good thing and it has a small enough dimension that using it on sub calibers is do-able with regard to weight, balance, sights, etc, so any physical bullet dimension below 5.56/.223 will work with it, just like any other larger caliber can. The usual downside to using say a .30 caliber can with a minor caliber is weight, diameter and a slightly less than effective sound signature due to the larger bore of the baffles. GemTech actually advertizes this as being compatable with say HMR .17 I have a Gemtech .17 can and will say that it is more effective than a .22 can on a .17 (as an example).

I guess that I have mixed emotions... I wanted the sale to be for everything so I could get a Sandstorm, but then that too is spendy so I guess in the long run, it gives me time to save....

Happy shopping!
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

MyGunsmith wrote: I wanted the sale to be for everything so I could get a Sandstorm, but then that too is spendy so I guess in the long run, it gives me time to save....
I jumped on the tax free deal last year when they had four cans avaliable for tax free status. I bought the sandstorm which was a $1125 can, now it's a bit higher. I was hoping for the multi mount so I could pick up another.
MyGunsmith

Post by MyGunsmith »

Yeah, I saw the ad for the first time last year exactly one day after the sale had transpired, while surfing their website. Waaa.

So this year I had Gemtech thread and contour a Howa 1500 heavy barrel .308 and install a Quickmount, hoping that perhaps I would get lucky. Too bad (for us) that their business is booming and they don't have the same motivation as last year. They did tell me that the first year that they offered it (the year before last), that they only offered one, then last year four). Now I just need to buy the Quickmount version of the Sandstorm, and I'm good to go... Guess I will bite the bullet. My local Class III dealer (Impact Guns) at least allows a 20% deposit and then pay it off to pick it up. I always spread the pain over the following 4 months it takes to process the paperwork and I seem to get away with it with the little woman...

On that note, how do you like your sandstorm? Are you using it on a 7.62? They tell me that it is about 3db quieter than the HVT, which doesn't hurt.

My primary desire is to combine the strength of a heavy barrel with the improved support of a QD mount farther back from the muzzle/farther into the Sandstorm, along with the 10oz lighter weight of the titanium construction.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

MyGunsmith wrote:
So this year I had Gemtech thread and contour a Howa 1500 heavy barrel .308 and install a Quickmount, hoping that perhaps I would get lucky. Now I just need to buy the Quickmount version of the Sandstorm, and I'm good to go...

On that note, how do you like your sandstorm? Are you using it on a 7.62? They tell me that it is about 3db quieter than the HVT, which doesn't hurt.
I had Gemtech thread my Remmy 700 SPS 308 earlier this year and they did a fantastic job and a sweet thread protector, two months door to door too. The Sandstorm sounds nice and no hearing protection required! My buddys felt that it is quieter than my M402 on my 16" AR15, but keep in mind that the Sandstorm is longer and has more volume than the M402. Overall, I or we are impressed with its performance which makes you forget the price of admission!

A few months back my dealer showed me a Quicksand that he ordered for a customer, that's a real nice setup. If they had offered that can last year I probably would have picked it up instead of the sandstorm.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

GoingQuiet wrote:Gemtax runs annually.
Yes, yes it does... :evil:
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!