Who has suppressed an ak?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Who has suppressed an ak?

Post by Kip42 »

I shoot the AK better at all ranges than any other rifle including .308 stuff. I prefer the reliability and would like to square away different purpose built AK's and later on build one longer distance rifle.

I believe a suppressor is an extremly important force multiplyer since if fired upon, I would empty my rifle in the direction of the muzzle flash. I want a can that has almost no muzzle flash at night, gives off a sound like a car door slamming, significantly reduces dust signature, and overall increases my odds when out numbered.

My familly wont get into guns so in SHTF it will be me defending them against many more. I also want to hunt quietly and not drawl attention if need be. I have read, spoken with people and still am not sure what can will run best and how to run it easiest on an ak?

I would prefer a quick detach can. Does anyone make an awsome flash hider without the can that also can quick attack a can for an ak?

rifle #1 I have a home defense ak but dont run a can bc wont have time to put eye pro on and blowback could take me out of the fight.

Rifle # 2- Cheap throw around SBR maybe a Draco or AMD 65 to keep in my trunk hidden just in case. I want to suppress this rifle

Rifle # 3- expensive high end sbr ak such as an arsenal slr that I will run a red dot, surefire, and sling. I want to suppress this rifle

Rifle # 4- SHTF on foot, need it for defense and getting food. I want to suppress this rifle. Will be a high end ak with a folding stock probably an Arsenal SLR, SGL, or american.

What Ak's safely suppress? The guys that tell me it suppress have no idea what can runs best for my uses. I am sitting next to my suppressed ar wishing I would of put the money into some ak's. I shoot the AK so well that switching is not what I want. But I believe that in a SHTF situation a suppressor would mean the difference of winning losing, and drawling attention when hunting deer and such.

What can did you run?

How did you do it?

If I could safely get my ak's to sound like this I would be happier than most.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvxTgsBQ4fs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRY3QbKZncI&NR=1
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Re: Who has suppressed an ak?

Post by gunguy »

I put my YHM Phantom QD(quick detach) on my ak's and it sounds fairly quiet its one of those things you need to hear in person to get the true effect. I like the YHM because it comes with a mount of your choice, I got the 14x1 left hand thread for my ak.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

gunguy wrote:I put my YHM Phantom QD(quick detach) on my ak's and it sounds fairly quiet its one of those things you need to hear in person to get the true effect. I like the YHM because it comes with a mount of your choice, I got the 14x1 left hand thread for my ak.
I love AAC cans and wish I would of bought the M42000 over the Surefire can. How does YHM compare to AAC?

So YHM has a direct fit decent flash hider mount for an ak? I would also like to use this same can later on a guerilla sniper rifle in .308 like a Scar 17 or FAL.

Did anyone do decible ratings or muzzle flash comparisons of cans on an ak?

I am looking to go with a light can that will have less zero shift. The Gemtech titanium can is almost as heavy as an AAC steel. The YHM titanium can is really light.
dvdivx

Post by dvdivx »

Over all I found the YHM 308 a good can for the AK. Can't cycle the subsonic rounds but they are so pricey I don't use them much anyways. You do have to avoid some of the more dirty rounds though if you want to keep your can clean. I also use it on an AR10. Works well on both. Flash suppression with it on is total. Or seems so to me. It doesn't eliminate sound. No can does that. It does change the sound signature. I just like how easy it is to swap once the rifles are set up for it. The big limitation if SHTF is quality ammo. Really if you want to be quiet take up archery.

I would not even touch the Draco. Have one and a PLR-16. Both are amazingly loud and would be disastrous inside for CQC. They would also damage suppressors or at least run the risk of it due to improper seating or pressure. Really a short shotgun with buckshot is far better for CQC.

Underfold AK. Have a yugo and it's nice. For long range shooting not so much.

AR10/DPMS: Tac drivers and great for long distance. Very heavy. A good 308 bolt gun would be much lighter and same accuracy.

Saiga 308: Good but must have an AK smith thread the barrels. Also getting durable mags is a problem. Or at least I don't trust them as much as the AR15 mags that are also plastic. Loud action just like any AK.

Really if it hits the fan world wide you had better be in a community. Doesn't work so well when your kid gets sick or you get injured even with a twisted ankle. If you think deer disappear for hunting season wait until everyone starts hunting them. Better off learning how to snare small game for protein or eat insects. It wouldn't be like camping. I would also start eating cats and dogs. Dogs would start forming packs and wouldn't be there for you to pet them.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Kip42 wrote:I shoot the AK better at all ranges than any other rifle including .308 stuff. I prefer the reliability and would like to square away different purpose built AK's and later on build one longer distance rifle.
Really? I no consider the AK (or 762x39) a long range rifle.. Also the AK has a huge opening with the safety down, if you do the cover in sand/gravel/dirt/mud test you may find the trigger no reset. :shock:

Still love my AK's for close work. :P
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Yankee hill said that it wont work on any larger than 16mm. I could not run a can on my Arsenal SGL 21 that has a 24x1.5 thread. What are my other can options that can adapt to almost any ak 47?
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I also have an AAC(cyclone) I wouldnt even think about using it on an AK47, way to nice. I use my Cyclone on my DPMS.308 and it sounds close to a .22 lr. I like the YHM because of how durable it is. The YHM Phantom is rated for up to 300 win mag. is price a factor? call around and see whats out there for your application.
Solothurn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Solothurn »

I'm not aware of anything that's QD that will fit all AK thread sizes. This is what I've got for 24mm...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68101
doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubleajaybrock »

Check out RED JACKET!

hahahaha I had to say it!
-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I'm not sure about the 24mm threads, but YHM does have 14x1 left ahnd thread QD mounts.
sumkrnboy
Silent But Deadly

Post by sumkrnboy »

A common issue that you'll run into with AKs is that the muzzle threads are almost never concentric to the bore and you will risk baffle strikes.
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

sumkrnboy wrote:A common issue that you'll run into with AKs is that the muzzle threads are almost never concentric to the bore and you will risk baffle strikes.
How can I eliminate this risk? Can I have an ak barrel rethreaded? Do they make a suppressor that is designed to lower the risk of baffle strikes on an ak?
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Money is no consideration. I shoot the AK much better and trust it more than any other rifle. I also realize that muzzle flash kills many guys. I want more or less low to no muzzle flash on my ak and to mask the location by making it sound like something else. This could save me in a SHTF situation especially if I hunt deer. Dont want to drawl attention that I have food.
sumkrnboy
Silent But Deadly

Post by sumkrnboy »

I would just buy a new AK barrel from a reputable barrel company such as Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co. or have a gunsmith/machinist turn down and thread a barrel blank. This will be a bit expensive, but you will end up with an accurate barrel and be confident that the threads are concentric.
LYNRDSKYNRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by LYNRDSKYNRD »

Kip42 wrote:Money is no consideration. I shoot the AK much better and trust it more than any other rifle. I also realize that muzzle flash kills many guys. I want more or less low to no muzzle flash on my ak and to mask the location by making it sound like something else. This could save me in a SHTF situation especially if I hunt deer. Dont want to drawl attention that I have food.
Learn to hunt with a bow......oh and Deer usually don't hunt you down and kill you if they see your muzzle flash. Your question was answered by dvdivx
Flash suppression with it on is total.
a few posts ago.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Really front-heavy, and not nearly as quiet as the same can on other platforms.

Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

doubleajaybrock wrote:Check out RED JACKET!

Is red jacket worth the money? How hard would it be to have my Arsenal SGL/ SLR rethreaded to take a suppressor? I would like it to be quick detach but it doesnt have to be. The AK might have a huge opening but I would trust it more than any other rifle on the market. If I can suppress these ak's I wont need anything else.

How did they do these?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwLEdwywIJY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvxTgsBQ ... D69A9A9190
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Solothurn wrote:I'm not aware of anything that's QD that will fit all AK thread sizes. This is what I've got for 24mm...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68101
Will those fat suppressors have a much lower chance of a baffle strike?
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Garrett wrote:Really front-heavy, and not nearly as quiet as the same can on other platforms.

What kind of can and mount is that
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Kip42 wrote: What kind of can and mount is that
Triple-X Warrior with a thread adapter from TROS.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

I put a yhm phantom on mine. it was loud as hell. AK is not a great host. Struck my endcap with it too. If you want to do it, I suggest as others have, a complete rebarrel and dont expect great suppression, I'm talking not even hearing safe sound suppression. This is a rifle issue, not a suppressor issue.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

doubleajaybrock wrote:Check out RED JACKET!

If you can dream it they can build it. lol
LP
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

I once had an AK. I'm in the UK so it was straight pull only. I've not got any pictures of the silencer with me but there was a post relating to it on here (my first build). Bear in mind that there was no blowback as there was no gas system. The sound suppression was very quiet. The alignment was awful because of the threads. My solution was to machine the front of the barrel/extension flat and square to the bore of the barrel - the threads were slightly loose and when screwed on the silencer bottomed down on this machined flat.

I was aware that if the silencer came loose, i'd get a baffle strike. As a solution, when I was happy with finished item, I machined a hole in the silencer that the muzzle brake detent went into. This secured the silencer from unscrewing.

Another option would be to machine off the 24mm threaded section a d rethread on the barrel rather than on the pressed on ferrule.
"Boi, you're in one hell of a situation. You're on US soil with illegal firearms." - Quote from US customs officer when he opened my suitcase and saw numerous NFA items
pmercer
Silent But Deadly

Post by pmercer »

"Boi, you're in one hell of a situation. You're on US soil with illegal firearms." - Quote from US customs officer when he opened my suitcase and saw numerous NFA items