Most reliable .22 pistol that I can suppress

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Most reliable .22 pistol that I can suppress

Post by Kip42 »

I have a Ruger .22 auto that I love. I am excited about my .22 can that is coming and want a .22 pistol to throw it on. What is the most field reliable .22 pistol that I can suppress? Should I go with that new Ruger .22 pistol that has the factory threads? Guess I cant suppress a revolver?
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Most reliable .22 pistol that I can suppress

Post by DesertRat »

I think you already have the most reliable .22 pistol out there. Get it threaded by someone reputable like ADCO and be done with it.

You could mount a suppressor on a revolver, but it's gonna suck. Too many places for the gases to escape.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

There's nothing wrong with have two Rugers, I have two MKII's, one for the can and the other a long barreled target version, also two single sixes, one set up for.22lr and the other for .22 mag.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

Kip42 wrote:I have a Ruger .22 auto that I love.
If the Ruger auto you already have is a pistol, you could get a threaded Tac Sol Pac Lite upper and pop it on (look around on gunbroker). If it's not, you could go with the factory threaded Ruger 22/45.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Hush wrote:There's nothing wrong with have two Rugers, I have two MKII's, one for the can and the other a long barreled target version, also two single sixes, one set up for.22lr and the other for .22 mag.

I have two Standards, and one suppressed Mark II, and one suppressed Mark III 22/45
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

The Ruger MKII & 22/45 MKII is hard to beat. Cut, thread, and sight move is $125 shipped.

TS-Pac lite is aluminum ,your bolt is steel , steel win.

If have a MKIII sell it and buy threaded. Never sell MKII for MKIII. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

Emilio wrote: If have a MKIII sell it and buy threaded. Never sell MKII for MKIII. :D
Agreed... Or, since it's difficult to get a new MK2, you could buy an MK3 and turn it into an MK2 (remove magazine disconnect safety and install a new hammer bushing). Then you'd basically have an MK2 with a standard magazine release :D
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

thoppe wrote:
Emilio wrote: If have a MKIII sell it and buy threaded. Never sell MKII for MKIII. :D
Agreed... Or, since it's difficult to get a new MK2, you could buy an MK3 and turn it into an MK2 (remove magazine disconnect safety and install a new hammer bushing). Then you'd basically have an MK2 with a standard magazine release :D
Not difficult to find, if one no like the LW of the 22/45 I rather do the mag release mod than weld the dirt collecting, bolt dragging (when dirty) chamber indicator. :D (he ask for most reliable)
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

Touché... I went Pac Lite for that reason. That LCI sucks!
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

The Walther PP is one of the most reliable .22s , IMHO . I also like the PPK , PPK/S , and TPH ( German-man.) for reliability . I bump the PP up because the slide is longer , which I think promotes better feeding , at the cost of slightly-less concealment and draw ... I have had more jams with Ruger - even the Pac-Lite - than Walthers ...
Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kip42 »

Whats the difference between the MK I, II, and III?
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Emilio wrote:The Ruger MKII & 22/45 MKII is hard to beat.

If have a MKIII sell it and buy threaded. Never sell MKII for MKIII. :D
MKII is the way to go, pass on the MKIII.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I don't think you need to pass on the Mk III. I have a Mk II and a MK III, and while the Mk II has a nicer trigger out of the box, I don't think the Mk III is horrible. The factory threaded 22/45 is sure an easy,cheap way to have a nice host. The trigger can be cleaned up relativly easy with minimal expense.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

dtom29 wrote:I don't think you need to pass on the Mk III. I have a Mk II and a MK III, and while the Mk II has a nicer trigger out of the box, I don't think the Mk III is horrible. The factory threaded 22/45 is sure an easy,cheap way to have a nice host. The trigger can be cleaned up relativly easy with minimal expense.
Replacing the MKIII hammer bushing with a MKII takes the slop out of the trigger, as well as gets rid of the mag disconnect.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I have a couple P22's and Colt 22 pistols and just bought a MK III with factory threaded barrel.
Shot 300 rounds down the tube almost all suppressed with no stoppages.
Not cleaned out of the box either.
It is more accurate than any of my other .22's.
I swapped out the bushing to get rid of that stupid mag safety and did my own mod to make the slide release like every other gun on the planet plus a new hammer.
As good as it shoots I just can't see getting the pac-lite upper unless I stumble onto a smoking deal.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Abiqua, that's what I was refering to. :wink: In fact, I've been e-mailing Sam Lam about his bushing. I'll be getting a money order off to him Monday. At $10 each, you can't beat it.
okent, I agree, I can't see the expense of the pac-lite either...
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Lotsa love for the Rugers, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Buckmark. I'm a big fan of Ruger's stuff, but the Buckmark is easier to clean, has a better trigger out of the box, and is more accurate than 90+% of the shooters. I haven't had a chance to do an accuracy test between the Buckmark and a MkIII, but I knock down plates and pop eggs VERY reliably if I do my part.

Don't know about suppressing one over the other, but I can't see how they would be that much different, operationally.

Hopefully, I'll have a MkIII by the end of the year, and will be able to do a side-by-side comparison.

Byrdman
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

Tactical Solutions also makes a threaded-barrel for the Buckmark , plus a complete threaded-upper for the 1911 . They are quality items , along with noticeable savings in weight . They also offer excellent customer service ... I have a Pac-Lite barrel on a 22/45 frame , with an SWR Warlock . It is a very light package . I also have a Browning Silhouette . I can swap out the 10" factory barrel for my Tac-Sol 3" Trail-Lite barrel , but I haven't had time to do any sound comparison ... Tac-Sol's top-rail is handy for optics . Their under-barrel rail option allows you to mount a laser , which is really good if you use nvgs ...
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I don't trust 22 at all. A guy recently used a P22 for self-defense successfully, but that terrifies me. It is NOT the lack of power in a 22 that concerns me, just the feeding and ignition.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

dtom29 wrote:Abiqua, that's what I was refering to. :wink: In fact, I've been e-mailing Sam Lam about his bushing. I'll be getting a money order off to him Monday. At $10 each, you can't beat it.
That's the bushing I'm using in mine, also a VQ trigger, sear and extractor
MCKNBRD wrote:Buckmark is easier to clean, has a better trigger out of the box, and is more accurate than 90+% of the shooters.
They're both good reliable guns with their own strengths and weaknesses. The Ruger suppresses a bit better and is available with a factory threaded barrel. The MKIII comes with a bunch of lawyer crap but it's not hard to get around. The Buckmark is easier to disassemble and the lower is the registered part so you can buy a Pac-Lite upper without a transfer. You just need to pick the feature set that works best for you.
Last edited by Abiqua on Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Another big plus for the Browning Buckmark is that the breach has two use openings for gas and debris to escape out of when out of battery.
This also allows you to "Field Clean" the thing in ten seconds flat.
Just the crud factor alone would be cause for me to switch to a Buckmark.
I would be interested to hear any arguments in favor of the Ruger over the Buckmark for this application.

Another thing that is cool about the Buckmark is it's versatility.
I have a Silhouette model that I can change out barrel with a URX 5.5 barrel & rail to use for steel challenge matches.
Switching between the two configurations is almost as easy as changing out uppers on an AR.
Plus the trigger on the Silhouette is frikin sweet!
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Dr.Phil wrote:Another big plus for the Browning Buckmark is that the breach has two use openings for gas and debris to escape out of when out of battery.
I would be interested to hear any arguments in favor of the Ruger over the Buckmark for this application.
Because of the more open action it sounds louder than the Ruger. I've run hundreds of rounds suppressed thru my MKIII in a session and while it does get dirty, it doesn't cause any issues. I keep it pretty well lubed up while I'm shooting it.
Out of box the Buckmark trigger is better than the MKIII, but it's pretty easy to improve the Ruger trigger.

I'm not bashing the Buckmark, it's a fine pistol. Arguments can be made for and against both guns, either one is a good choice.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I may have to pick up a Buckmark.
To my ear the MKIII is quieter than my P22's and Colt Cadet's with either barrel length.
It makes sense with the partially enclosed breech.
I like the idea of the very open breech for malfunctions but I have also noticed much less blowback with the MKIII.

I am doing an informal reliability test with the MKIII to see how many rounds it takes down the tube before a malfunction.
With the P22 and Colt it averaged 10-20 mags suppressed and I start to see FTF/FTE.
So far the MKIII is over 30 but it's a new gun.

I also agree with Robert about concerns with reliability but so far CCI's have been dud free and I only start to trust a gun
after I have put over a thousand rounds down the pipe.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

I have a couple of mkIII 22/45 handguns and like them . I removed the steel threaded barrel in favor of the pac-lite as it is much lighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eis9qTQO95U

I have a couple of extra ruger barrels too.

I really like my smith and wesson 2214's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKqMCC85g-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhWekL6IaDA

Revolvers are cool too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCMHEpBxegM
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

Never seen the S&W. Cool gun!
I am trying to resist the urge to get the Pac-Lite.....