MKIII to MKII?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Ratbat
Silent Operator

MKIII to MKII?

Post by Ratbat »

I just ordered the Ruger 22/45, MKIII. I have seen posts about changing the hammer bushing to clean-up the trigger pull but have not been able to find anything about the process or how difficult the modification can be. Any advice/instruction or pitfalls to be avoided would be appreciated. Also, what is the best way to obtain the needed parts?
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Re: MKIII to MKII?

Post by imyomama »

got my bushing from rimfirecentral.. from some guy in Canada ... took 30 minutes to put in and made a world of difference.. no more sticky mag!!

since I was in there, i also put in a new sear... trigger pull is great now as well! no need for a new hammer unless you really just want to...
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ratbat, give me a few minutes, I'll get all the stuff together for you.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Great site on the Rugers all together! http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

As for the mag safety (hammer bushing is one option), just like the above post you have a couple options. I did the washer version. Uses 2 two 5mm washers (you have to bore out the middle a tiny bit with a dremel or file). Very simple, very cheap. Once you do this mod, your mags will literally fly out of the gun when you hit the mag release, it's awesome.

As for the slide release, depending on how you use the slide release there is a "slingshot" mod for it (also on the link posted above). The only time you should need to actually use the slide lock/release is when you have no mag in the gun and want to lock the slide back (guess you could use it if you need to lock it back if you have a malfunction). Once you do the slingshot mod, there's no need to hold it down to drop the slide with a full mag in the gun (gravity drops it down for you) or with no mag in the gun. It also still operates as normal when the mag is empty (locks the slide back).

The hardest problem you'll have with the gun is taking out the internals to do any of the work on it. If you're going to switch out any internals for VQ parts (accurizing kit), I'd do the mag safety at the same time, along with the slingshot mod. That way you're only in there one time and get it all out of the way.

Oh also, if you have any issues with the loaded chamber indicator, you have two options. You can remove it all together, but from talking with one of the guys that did this it will negate some of your suppression level (leaves a hole in your gun in the chamber, sound comes out). Option two is to remove it (temporarily) and grind/cut off all the internal pieces so it's just a bar, then put it back in to fill the hole.

Once you tear it apart a couple times it's pretty easy to remember and quick to do.
Watch these videos (all three parts) for removing the magazine safety. He's using a regular MkIII (not the 22/45), but it's essentially the same process. I'll give a quick description of how I did mine as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWHEMJDFBSc

Tear down the gun, take out the internals, ditch the magazine disconnector and magazine disconnector spring. In their place on the hammer bushing, I used two 5mm washers (5mm Flat Washers). You may need three, you'll see once you get them on there if you need two or three. Now before you put them on the bushing (they won't fit) you need to open up the inside diameter, I just used a Dremel, so that they do fit on the bushing. Once they fit, put it all back together and have fun :D Like I said above, once you do this, the mags will literally come flying out of the gun when you hit the mag release. Try it before and they don't go much of anywhere, you have to pull them out of the gun.

Let me know if you need pics or any help on it, or any of the other mods to it. I'd do all three while you have it apart, mag safety, loaded chamber, and slingshot mod.

Tim

ETA: If you don't feel like doing the washers, you can buy a new hammer bushing (MkII) from a couple places and just use that instead of your MkIII bushing and the washers. The washers will cost you like $0.50 or $1.00 from Home Depot for a pack of them (or wherever is nearby that sells them).
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

Yeah, those are really good resources (especially the 3 part videos - they helped me out a lot). There's also another video from Nutnfancy installing the Volquartsen Accurizing Kit on the 22/45 that you might find helpful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOGVChhMCjg

Here is another link that might help you out. See the picture... http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2143

Using the Clark Mark 2 hammer bushing works well.
Ratbat
Silent Operator

Post by Ratbat »

Thanks for the info. I'm located on the Eastern shore of Maryland (Denton) I guess slow and easy is the key.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

I'm using a bushing I got from Sam Lam in Canada, the Clark bushing is another good choice. I've replaced the bushing and changed out to a VQ trigger, sear, and extractor. I read of some reports of light primer strikes with the lighter VQ hammer so I skipped it, YMMV.
I pretty sure I got Sam Lam's info thru the forum at http://www.rimfirecentral.com, and there's plenty of info there on swapping out the parts.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

SAM LAM .. that's it .. that's the guy I got mine from too... worked great for me!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

I just bought a volquartsen MKII accurizing kit and dropped it in. It will replace all your MK III parts with Mk II parts if I remember correctly you have to buy the MK II bushing separate. I love the trigger on this gun..
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

yamatitan wrote:..if I remember correctly you have to buy the MK II bushing separate.
That's correct. I believe Ruger no longer sells it since it defeats the MKIII mag disconnect so you have to get one aftermarket from Clark or Sam Lam.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I bought the MK2 bushing and just filed down two edges to make it work, very easy.
Originally I made one out of some 1/8th aluminum I had laying around.
Poked a hole with a drill press and finished it off with a hacksaw and file.
It will be appearing on Son of Guns next week.... 8)
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I also took the mag release spring and cut two small notches in the mag release lever and put the spring over the post that was made.
This makes the mag release work like every other gun where you just rack the action when the fresh mag is inserted instead
of having to thumb it.

Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Another great stepby step pics w/ descrips by Bullseye:

http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detai ... .htm#ssmod
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

Abiqua wrote:I'm using a bushing I got from Sam Lam in Canada, the Clark bushing is another good choice. I've replaced the bushing and changed out to a VQ trigger, sear, and extractor. I read of some reports of light primer strikes with the lighter VQ hammer so I skipped it, YMMV.
I pretty sure I got Sam Lam's info thru the forum at http://www.rimfirecentral.com, and there's plenty of info there on swapping out the parts.

I got mine from Sam Lam too. Took a couple min to install. I didn't push the pin holding the hammer bushing all the way out thou, just far enough to get the hammer, and bushing out. That way I didn't have to mess with putting the safety back in.
roxy
Silent Operator

Post by roxy »

yamatitan wrote:I just bought a volquartsen MKII accurizing kit and dropped it in. It will replace all your MK III parts with Mk II parts if I remember correctly you have to buy the MK II bushing separate. I love the trigger on this gun..
+1

I did the same thing (w/Clark Bushing) to my 22/45 MKIII-RP w/Tac-Sol 4.5" Upper

Awesome FCG & no more annoying, magazine sticking, suck-ass mag safety!! :D
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Abiqua wrote:
yamatitan wrote:..if I remember correctly you have to buy the MK II bushing separate.
That's correct. I believe Ruger no longer sells it since it defeats the MKIII mag disconnect so you have to get one aftermarket from Clark or Sam Lam.
Well that sucks, I guess for my next one I will have to go that way.