45 hole

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

45 hole

Post by BLAKE2131 »

What drill bit to use for a 45cal can and how much pressure can a .125" walled 1.5"aluminum tube hold roughly? could it handle 454 casull or 460 sw? or should i just get steel?
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: 45 hole

Post by Bendersquint »

BLAKE2131 wrote:What drill bit to use for a 45cal can and how much pressure can a .125" walled 1.5"aluminum tube hold roughly? could it handle 454 casull or 460 sw? or should i just get steel?
If you are doing it on a lathe I would just do it with a boring bar. If you are absolutely certain your tailstock is aligned then you can just use a 1/2 inch bit, most 45 endcap apertures are .50-.52.

No that aluminum tubing will not handle a 454 or 460Magnum. If you are doing that I would go at least 304SS with at least .085 walls.

What length barrel is the suppressor attaching to? That could determine going thinner or not.

-B
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Due to weight of such a thick walled tube, I think a 7075 aluminum would be a practical choice for the tube. 7075 has higher tensile strength than stainless at about 1/3 of the wieght. It's also machines very nicely. The draw backs are that it flexes a bit more so just be aware of that when fixturing and machining. It's also not as hard so you'll still definately want steel for the first few baffles and threaded mount. I don't think temperatures will be an issue with the rounds you quoted becuse 99% of people shoot .460 and .454 at a relaxing pace.

If you want to go with stainless, I think 316 would be a good choice. 316 has a slightly higher ultimate strength but almost double the yield strength. 316 is better suited to high teperature applications too.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

pneumagger wrote:7075 has higher tensile strength than stainless at about 1/3 of the weight.
At room temperature.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, 7075 tubing is special order only. I have never actually seen any. 2024 is the best in tubing I can find. It's stronger than 6061 with a little less corrosion resistance.

The only way I know of to even kind of practically get 7075 tubing is to hollow out round bar.

More importantly though.... The OP asks about 454 casull and 460 sw. I am fairly certain there are no 454/460 autos, and since suppressing revolvers doesn't work, I would guess this is single shot pistol or rifle. It's rifle, depending on barrel length and load, .125" aluminum could be way overkill.

Not enough data.
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

im threading my 15" encore barrel because im SBRing my frame and i dont know what type of aluminum it is i got it for free and was just wondering since its pretty thick walled but i just wanted to know a drill size that the .451 bullet would go down with a little room on the sides but i decided to make it a simple freeze plug 22/223 can for shits and giggles

ps bender i got my ffl/sot i went with the 07 and savin up for that damn itar bs
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

este wrote:
pneumagger wrote:7075 has higher tensile strength than stainless at about 1/3 of the weight.
Also, to the best of my knowledge, 7075 tubing is special order only. I have never actually seen any. 2024 is the best in tubing I can find. It's stronger than 6061 with a little less corrosion resistance.

The only way I know of to even kind of practically get 7075 tubing is to hollow out round bar.
I almost broke google looking for 7075 tubing.
LP
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

ghostdog662 wrote:
este wrote:

I almost broke google looking for 7075 tubing.
If you find some Pm me or post us a link :wink:
It would same me some boring time on the machine
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Save your beans and buy some 7075 round bar and have it wire edm'd. Sadly, 7075 tubing isn't out there. I really wish onlinemetals.com offered more cutting services like that. Or maybe not, there would be more form 1's needing to be approved and slow mine down. :?
LP
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

ghostdog662 wrote:Save your beans and buy some 7075 round bar and have it wire edm'd. Sadly, 7075 tubing isn't out there. I really wish onlinemetals.com offered more cutting services like that. Or maybe not, there would be more form 1's needing to be approved and slow mine down. :?
You know Wire EDM needs a hole to start with right? Sink EDM is a way to get that hole, so is gun-drilling. If it's short enough you can just turn a hole, but if you can do that you might as well turn the whole thing to the ID and skip the expensive processes. Not sure what you're thinking, but unless you want a $500+ 7075 tube, edm is absolutely the wrong tool.

7075 tubing is surely out there but unless you're going to buy 100kg or $20,000 of it (which ever costs more) it might as well not exist. 2024 is pretty good, and readily available.

Now, if someone can find 8000 series tubing with scandium, well, that would interesting! I've never been able to figure out what "scandium" bikes really are and it seems no one knows much on the matter. I suppose the Russians would be a place to start because it's like "their" titanium.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

I was referring to a taking a round bar, for example 1-1/2" OD, and have the ID removed to give it a wall thickness of 0.065.

You could always buy the round bar and bore it out but that would a major butt pain.

I never said the EDM would be cheap. :roll: If you don't have a hook up I wouldn't even bother.
LP
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

ghostdog662 wrote:I was referring to a taking a round bar, for example 1-1/2" OD, and have the ID removed to give it a wall thickness of 0.065.

You could always buy the round bar and bore it out but that would a major butt pain.

I never said the EDM would be cheap. :roll: If you don't have a hook up I wouldn't even bother.
No I knew exactly what you meant. Unless you own one, edm makes no goddamn sense. Even if you do, your not out of the woods, there is still quite a bit of machining to do. No, edm makes no sense at all. You can't just wire EDM a round bar into tube, you could reduce wall thickness from one tube, the point being you need a through hole to start the wire.

Boring bar into tube happens way more often that edm-ing tube onto thinner tube. What experience do you have with edm?
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

este wrote: What experience do you have with edm?
Apparently not enough. Forget I even brought it up.
LP