45/70 intergal silencer

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Old Wanderer
Silent Operator

45/70 intergal silencer

Post by Old Wanderer »

I was going to post this in another thread, but it is more about smithing, than about the 45/70.

I was reading about a person wanting to use a 45 acp silencer on subsonic 45/70 rounds. Boy does this get my attention.

I have loved and hunted my #1 Ruger 45/70 in the steep rugged mountains of Oregon for Roosevelt elk for years. Hand loaded it is the hardest kicking rifle I own (including my 416 Rigby). But it worked wonders for a fast handling light rifle in heavy brush. My Barnes 300X bullet was deadly on the elk. However getting into my 70's it is not the hunt I am reluctant to pursue, it is getting that heavy carcase out of the woods and back to my truck that totally kicks my butt. So my attention has turned to playing with suppressed subsonic loads.

I am awaiting this week delivery of my new toy. http://www.boltonhardware.com/images/pdf/ha330.pdf. I have a 1:14 twist barrel blank setting here. I have all the boolit casting stuff that I use for my 300 blackout, and some 550 gr postal molds for the 45/70 and way too much reloading stuff. Besides winter is coming, and all it does here is rain for 9 months, so got to have some kind of a project.

Why can I not scale up these integral silencers I see people making for their 22 lr guns. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum3/view ... 10&t=73211 or If I went up to around 7" from the breach, and turned a thread too attach the outside of the can, cut the barrel length to 20 or 22 inches (The blank is 26'). I have a 1.3" X 18" .064" titanium tube also, so I should be able to just whittle up some K baffles, and drill some holes in the barrel, attach the tube up near the breach, and figure out where it all gets quite.

Also it seems to me that one way to lower the gas pressure it to lower the temperature of the gas (Bernoulli law), is to use a medium that transfers heat rapidly. I was thinking of machining a copper tube to fit tightly inside my titanium tube in the expansion chamber area. (Just freeze it to shrink it in OD and pop in inside, and then have a tight fit when it warms up). The thermal conductivity of Titanium is only 12, Aluminum is ~120 while Copper is 223 (Btu/(hr degrees/F ft(squared)/ft)). So if we had an internal heat sink, while we would loose some internal area, we would cool the gas 20X this reducing the volume. (Besides if it does not work, it is easy to cut the copper sleeve back out).

The dynamics of the 45/70 almost beg for something like this. You can trim the cartridge length, as we space on the rim, we like quick powders for short barrels, well it was made for black powder, and that stuff is real quick, so any pistol powders will be slower, and since I can get the 500 gr bullet moving quickly, the amount of gas the suppressor has to deal with should be minimal.

I know this is uncharted territory for my 1st project on my new lathe, and I make no claims to being a machinist, but like those famous last words...."What can go wrong??" :roll:
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Re: 45/70 intergal silencer

Post by cajun 22 »

There is a guy in MS who already did this and I have shot the gun myself. It is a handy-rifle with the barrel ported and can over the barrel and extending 4" past the muzzle. Sounds great.
Old Wanderer
Silent Operator

Post by Old Wanderer »

Well it is hard to be original in this age....but it does sound encouraging. Thanks for the heads up, I will try and locate it.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Sounds like you are going down a good path with that. There are subsonic loads for the 45-70 all over the web. IIRC Trailboss tops out around 1000 fps with the 405g pill.

One thing to consider. If you load your 500g boolits make sure that your barrel's twist will stabilize the long projo. It would surely suck to do all that work only to hit a baffle.
PostalGlock'n

Post by PostalGlock'n »

I don't think the copper internal heat sink will be of benifit. That amount of heat will still be trapped inside the Ti without a way to quickly dissipate to the outside. Putting a copper pot inside an oven will not cool the content any quicker. Just my opinion.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

PostalGlock'n wrote:I don't think the copper internal heat sink will be of benifit. That amount of heat will still be trapped inside the Ti without a way to quickly dissipate to the outside. Putting a copper pot inside an oven will not cool the content any quicker. Just my opinion.
Copper sink will not do at all what you are thinking it will, the sink will only work if exposed to open air. All you will end up doing is creating a portion of the suppressor that will hold the heat more than the Ti.

Idea is to get RID of the heat not store it in a heat sink.

-B