SIG P229/ Suppressor Options

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

TJmarine

SIG P229/ Suppressor Options

Post by TJmarine »

I have just learned that suppressors/ silencers have been approved for use by private individuals in my state (Michigan). Hooray...I have been doing a lot of research and spoken with my local gun dealer. I know the process and am ready to pull the trigger (pun intended)..however I need to select the appropriate suppressor...I have a P229 .40, standard barrell (non-threaded).

Can I get the stock barrell machined (threaded) so I dont have to buy a new barrell?
Would it be more economical to buy a new extended barrell already threaded? What Brand?
What type of suppressor is reccomended?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: SIG P229/ Suppressor Options

Post by doubloon »

If you try to get the stock barrel machined and threaded it will have to be extended for the suppressor to clear the slide. $80 thread original barrel and probably another $100 for a custom adapter then another $20 for a thread protector. Shopping around it may not be more expensive to get the original barrel fitted but you'll have a lot less moving parts with a new one piece barrel.

I put a threaded 9mm conversion barrel in my P229 .357/.40 that I got from BarSto, been very happy with it. There are other acceptable barrel manufacturers out there, others will chime in I'm sure. I don't know if Top Gun Supply will have what you need but it's a good place to start.

I bought a GemTech M.M I'm very happy with, as far as I'm concerned you can't go wrong with GemTech, AAC, SWR, Silencerco ... they're some of the top performers whether 9mm or .40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
TJmarine

Post by TJmarine »

Thanks for the leads...Ill start looking/pricing put the options..have a local gun smith that is well know, I may talk with him and see if hes on board with maching or buying a new barrell as well...

Regarding the suppressor brand...been looking around and Silencerco (Osprey) looks pretty good...ILl check out the GemTech as well...
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Check out ADCO for quick turn-around barrel extension and threading. Usually very quick for standard thread patterns.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/

Also, I would recommend one of the newer .45 silencers (SilencerCo Osprey and AAC TiRant) rather than a dedicated .40 silencer. You can use the .40 pistons in them and use then on a .40 and any .45 as well (also 9mm). You may loose a little sound reduction, but you gain a whole lot of versatility. Personally, I like the AAC TiRANT because you can take it apart and clean it.
TJmarine

Post by TJmarine »

Thanks Chris for the ADCO direction, however in looking on their site they do not offer the threaded extensions for .40 and .45 caliber...apparently the barrel walls are too think to add the extension...I may just buy a new barrell...seems to be the best option...new extended and threaded barrell through Barsto is $300 vs $155 for the extension...well see...

Going to check into the TiRnat as well...

Thanks all...
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

The Barsto barrel is a great option. I have two of them. The wait will be enormous though (6-8 months, check their site for current wait times) They are great barrels.

I went with a 9mm Conversion barrel from them for my Sig P229. 9mm is easier to suppress and cheaper to shoot, so I just ditched the .40 altogether. My P229 shoots better with 9mm than it ever did with 40 (that is to say, _I_ shoot it better :) )

http://www.jarvis-custom.com

Also lists Sig barrels as well. Might want to call them to see if they do a threaded version yet.

Chris
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Make up your mind Chris! :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
GoingQuiet
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoingQuiet »

TJmarine wrote:I have just learned that suppressors/ silencers have been approved for use by private individuals in my state (Michigan). Hooray...I have been doing a lot of research and spoken with my local gun dealer. I know the process and am ready to pull the trigger (pun intended)..however I need to select the appropriate suppressor...I have a P229 .40, standard barrell (non-threaded).

Can I get the stock barrell machined (threaded) so I dont have to buy a new barrell?
Would it be more economical to buy a new extended barrell already threaded? What Brand?
What type of suppressor is reccomended?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
229's in 40 are not optimal hosts due to barrel availability. If you want the best results and easiest config, do 9mm or 45. The 40 barrels in particular lack enough material to machine 14.5 or 9/16.
GoingQuiet.com
07 FFL / 02 SOT
Melbourne, FL
NFA Sales & Transfers, Silencerco Stocking Distributor, AAC, SigSauer, Gemtech, Rock River Arms Stocking Dealer
[email protected]
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

Howdy from a former Michigander!

I ended up selling my beloved P229 40 and went with a P226 9mm and picked up a factory Sig bbl. The factory bbl only cost me +/- $200 drop in and your GTG. I would check on the Sig website to see if there is a 40 cal threaded bbl option available.

Buds & Top Gun both have a good supply of Sig bbls and things in-stock.

Good luck with any LEO sign off's on your class 3 stuff - go with a trust, Period!
snakeman48

Post by snakeman48 »

GoingQuiet wrote:229's in 40 are not optimal hosts due to barrel availability. If you want the best results and easiest config, do 9mm or 45. The 40 barrels in particular lack enough material to machine 14.5 or 9/16.
This is news to me. I have a P229 in 40S&W that I bought a threaded barrel from Jarvis back in 2008 when I thought Michigan was going suppressor legal back then. The threads are 9/16-24

Now we are legal to own silencers I put the barrel in, and was going to get a Osprey 40.
So what will happen if I mount the can? Will the barrel break from the weight and recoil. or something worse.
I noticed that Jarvis is no longer offering threaded barrels for the 40S&W P229.

chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Snakeman, you might want to check out the Osprey 45 with the piston for the 40 barrel. It may be a better multi-use silencer if you shoot 45's too.

Jarvis probably just stopped selling them because they didn't sell many of them.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I bought a P229 in 9mm with a SIG factory threaded bbl in 1/2x28. Mounted an SWR Octane 9HD on it. Needs taller sights, but for now the SIG laser suffices.

Great can, very nice pistol!
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

chrismartin wrote:Snakeman, you might want to check out the Osprey 45 with the piston for the 40 barrel. It may be a better multi-use silencer if you shoot 45's too.
Since I got a Bar Sto tube threaded 13.5L I am going to try my Osprey 45 and see how it sounds.