Got pulled over with a truckload of NFA weapons.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Got pulled over with a truckload of NFA weapons.

Post by 82nd airborne »

So, David, myself, and two good friends were coming back from the match this weekend at Vets Shooting Center. I wasnt paying attention as usual and pass a state trooper going 80ish in a nice wide 4 lane 55. He immediatly busted a u turn with the lights on. I knew I was wrong so I pulled over immediatly.
He came up to the window and immediatly noticed the 7" ar with a can laying in the front seat with a loaded mag in it.
"Sir, are there anymore guns in the vehicle?"
"Uh, yes corpral, 15 or so."
"Hold on sir, I have to go back to my car, stay put"
He then came back up to the windo and said "I had to turn my camera off, the government doesnt need to hear everything I have to say!"
We proceeded to bs for about 15 minutes about guns and such. He already sort of knew how to obtain a can or sbr.
He seemed to really enjoy getting to play with some of the suppressors and guns.
After, deciding to send me his 700 to turn it into a precision rifle, he let us go. Not once did he mention speeding, slowing down, nor did he ask to see papers on any of the weapons.

That was a pleasant experience. I enjoy being around the type of LEO that can tell when you are doing no harm, and drops it at that. He sees himself on our level, and seemed to know that he was there to protect and serve, not pretend to be a navy seal.

I really enjoyed it and invited him up to shoot some stuff, as he had never shot full auto or suppressed.

That said, I deserved a speeding ticket and wouldnt have been upset in the least if he saw fit to give me one.

Pretty cool guy!
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Got pulled over with a truckload of NFA weapons.

Post by L1A1Rocker »

That's a good story. I wish all peace officers were like that. I take it you were not driving through Canton, OH.
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Link to info on situation in Canton, OH: http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7910
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

This has happened twice to me in the last 18months. First time got pulled on the way to our smg match because the trailer was out of registration. The officer noticed a G18 mag sitting on the console and asked where we were going. I told him we were on our way to a match. He then ask "what kinda match" I said shooting. "what kinda shooting" long pause umm an smg match, I replied. "where is the glock 18" he asked. "its on my right hip, sir". He then asked if i had a CHL, which i showed him. 3hours later he showed up at the match (it was down the road) shot a little and bought an SWR trident later in the week from me.
2nd time I get pulled over for speeding. I have a brand spanking new colt sp1 with a DIAS that I just bought in the passenger seat and was on my way back from picking it up in west TX. Officer looked at it, then me, then it. He then asked if I had a CHL. i showed it to him and he then wrote me a ticket for speeding and sent me on my way
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Good to see that your 'guy with guns in car' situation did not get all blown out of proportion. All my interactions with LE while armed have also been positive. I think you only hear about the nasty ones.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Glad to see it worked out as well as it did, that's a great story.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Always cool when you run into an officer who has his head on a little more squarely then some of the others.

Not breaking balls but is it even legal to have a loaded AR/longgun/shotgun in the passenger comparment of a vehicle?
I was always told handguns yes, permit if required but no to longuns etc because of game laws.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

CThomas wrote:Always cool when you run into an officer who has his head on a little more squarely then some of the others.

Not breaking balls but is it even legal to have a loaded AR/longgun/shotgun in the passenger comparment of a vehicle?
I was always told handguns yes, permit if required but no to longuns etc because of game laws.
Its completely legal here in AR.
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

I've been pulled over alot, and by my count it should be right at 20 (lifetime Total). (Only 1 ticket total, for speeding 5 over in a construction zone.)

They pull me over, have me wait in my car without coming to the window and wait for backup to arrive. This has happened the last 4 times in a row. (normally they walk up, tap on my old NRA sticker and then mention guns.)

For most of those experiences, they don't start out with "how fast were you going" or "do you know what you did wrong", but rather: "how many guns do you have in the car?"

I've had an NRA sticker on my passenger rear window for YEARS, and each time I was pulled over they noticed that sticker and commented about guns. It started getting annoying, so I removed the sticker. My new car has no stickers and never will.

Anyway, I've been pulled over with NFA and standard Title1 stuff, never had an officer ask to see anything, never been asked for paperwork. Just simply "how many?" (then I show them my FFL/SOT and binder of paperwork.)

The most I've ever had in the car at any given time, was around 100 AR15 Receivers that I had just picked up from the manufacturer, and was pulled over on my way back. The Officer asked how many, and when I responded "around 100" his eyes lit up and he said immediately "I don't need to see them, that's alot of paperwork." I told him I was a dealer, handed him my FFL and business card. He looked at it, told me to get my tags renewed on my car and let me go. 8)

Now, besides being pulled over, I generally have the local police or sheriff dept come and check me out while shooting. Someone normally calls and reports MG fire and they have to come check it out. (I've learned to call dispatch for whatever county I'm going shooting in and let them know ahead of time that I will be shooting at XXX spot at XXX time for XXX hours. Once they know, they stop sending officers out. )

It's always fun when a new officer comes to check out the MG fire, thinking they have a huge bust, wide eyed like they are pumping themselves up for trouble, holster unsnapped, or even weapon drawn as they approach. I've had a few sneak up on me while I was shooting, scare the s--t outa me and tell me to DROP THE M16 IN THE GRASS!!!

The best part? I've NEVER encountered an officer who knew what to look for with NFA paperwork. They had no idea what they looked like, no idea what a form 3 or form 4 was, but only to ask to make sure the person had something to show them. I've had to educate many officers both at gunshows, out shooting, and being pulled over. A few of them have become customers, some have taken photos with their cell phones and told me how cool this stuff was, but others didn't care one bit.

Honestly, I'm still freaked out when I get pulled over, or when I'm approached while shooting.
Last edited by JC Weaponry on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

JC Weaponry
should be right at 20 as of this year.
get my tags renewed on my car and let me go.

WT*? :shock:
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

Not 20 this year, but 20 total since starting to drive. 8)

I order my tags online, that year I was late ordering them. :oops:
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

I have an even better one involving a case of something I should not of had in the back of my truck, the day I got out of the army, but its not going online!
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Only been stopped once with guns obvious in the car ... more than 40 years ago.

Sure hope I run into the kinda good folks you fellas have found in your travels.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Ive been stopped several times, and it everytime it has been good, regardless if I got a ticket or not. We generally have excellent police in AR. It is legal in AR to have a loaded, suppressed sbr in the front seat. We used to have a law that guns had to be cased and unloaded, but it was deamed unconstitutional, because if its unloaded you are not bearing arms.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipecatcher »

I've found state troopers in TX to be very respectable and courteous. I've been pulled over 3 times since I've had a CHL. Every time I've been asked if I was carrying. One time I was, and the cop just said "OK". I got a $240 speeding ticket, on my way to sell a winch to someone for $250. I was speeding because I was just barely going to make it on time. I ended up being about 10 minutes late and took $240 for it, just breaking even. Another time I didn't have my CHL, but the Sheriff noticed a Bushmaster case in the backseat. We ended up talking about guns on a dark backroad for 20 minutes or so, and he gave me a warning for my headlight that had just gone out that night.
-Dan
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

CThomas wrote: Not breaking balls but is it even legal to have a loaded AR/longgun/shotgun in the passenger comparment of a vehicle?
Here in PA I know that a SBR can be carried if you have a LTCF, but I am not sure about a SBS.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I would have taken you in and forced you to pay your fine in ammo and range time. :D
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

82nd airborne wrote:That said, I deserved a speeding ticket and wouldnt have been upset in the least if he saw fit to give me one.

Pretty cool guy!

The bad incidents get all the press, but my experiences with law enforcement have been far more good than bad.

I always present both my CWP and DL when I get pulled over. All but one time, I've gotten only a warning, and no speeding ticket.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by LeftEyeMike »

Almost everytime I have been pulled over, it has been a positive experience. In Missouri as soon as they run your plate they know if you have a CCW. They ask me, I answer honestly, then we talk about guns for 5 or 6 min, then they ask for license ans insurance cards, and send me on my way.

The only time I have ever had a problem, was when I was pulled over by University Police, off campus, on my way home with pizza for the super bowl. (I live near campus, and am a student) I didn't signal my right hand turn at a stop light, ( I was in the turn lane). I pull into my drive way, just past the light, and here comes U.Po. he looks in the car and sees a bunch of .40 & 300 winmag shells, calls for backup, and then demands to see my hands and know where the guns are.

I laughed as his sargent riped him a new one. :roll:
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

so aaron, when did yall shoot??? off the side of the road i hope!!! i can just picture the big goofy hat and whatnot dumping a mag into the ditch!!!
its quiet time!
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I guess it pays not to have a dope smoking poser idiot in your car when you get stopped eh?
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Kinda makes you wonder what kind of sixth sense police have in some cases huh?

:evil:

He is a dirtbag of the worst kind.

Honor cannot be stolen, only earned. What he earned for his "posing" is far, far worse.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Mongo wrote:I guess it pays not to have a dope smoking poser idiot in your car when you get stopped eh?

If I could move my head side to side like a black woman can I might do so now while saying "Oh no you didn't!"

Good thing my neck won't do that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

82nd, glad your stop went well. I can sum it up in one word. "Arkansas". That';s it. My dad lives there and it is a completely different world than the uptight Northeast.
aevert

Post by aevert »

82nd airborne wrote:I have an even better one involving a case of something I should not of had in the back of my truck, the day I got out of the army, but its not going online!
Will you tell us once the statute of limitations runs out?
Cj Two A
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cj Two A »

I was pulled over about a week after that whole Canton, Oh thing made the internet in a big way, so I was slightly freaked out. As the officer is walking up to the car I had my hands locked on the wheel, and yelled out before he got to the window, "Officer, before we get started I have to inform you that I have a Concealed Carry License, and have a handgun in a holster on my belt." He thanked me, didn't ask to see it, or my card. He was really appreciative because my CHL didn't show up on the license plate search since the car is not in my name. Nicest conversation with a police officer I've ever had. He kinda laughed at how jittery I was about making sure he knew about the concealed weapon. So I explained about that whole canton video, and since he had seen it we both had a bit of a sigh about how poorly that whole thing was handled. Still got the ticket, but oh well. At least I didn't have a freaked out cop.