Jailbreaking the Tirant

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Jailbreaking the Tirant

Post by JasonM »

JasonM wrote:I gotta jump in for Fireman- he's completely taken responsibility and wants to pay for a fix. Sounds fair to me.

That said, AAC MAY glue the new endcap back on, and you will get back the can you bought- a sealed 9mm Ti-RANT. But Im sure you are not stuck with a paperweight.

That said, It's not a weak aluminum, it's 7075 T6.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

I still have a hard time seeing where the aluminum "broke" It really looks to me like the tool slipped a bit too far out and then the corners got stripped.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

copenhagen wrote:I still have a hard time seeing where the aluminum "broke" It really looks to me like the tool slipped a bit too far out and then the corners got stripped.
Bummer, but I'd think so also. The tool was not in all the way.
I bet making an endcap wouldn't be hard to do, if someone had a lathe and wanted a new cap.

Even the hole pattern could be put back on. I don't know the legal issues if I'd make a cap for someone else so I won't advertise the services.

I recall using a pipe on the handle of my pipe wrench, and when it started turning I was home free. I just kept the same pressure on the pipe wrench and turned it off.

I'd finish the job fireman, lay several towels on your vise and turn that bitch off with your pipe wrench. After-all it is unlocked, just tight. For a fix, maybe you can ask just for a cap, and return the one you have for a replacement.....
NRA Benefactor Member
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

PAIN wrote:
copenhagen wrote:I still have a hard time seeing where the aluminum "broke" It really looks to me like the tool slipped a bit too far out and then the corners got stripped.
Bummer, but I'd think so also. The tool was not in all the way.
I bet making an endcap wouldn't be hard to do, if someone had a lathe and wanted a new cap.

Even the hole pattern could be put back on. I don't know the legal issues if I'd make a cap for someone else so I won't advertise the services.

I recall using a pipe on the handle of my pipe wrench, and when it started turning I was home free. I just kept the same pressure on the pipe wrench and turned it off.

I'd finish the job fireman, lay several towels on your vise and turn that bitch off with your pipe wrench. After-all it is unlocked, just tight. For a fix, maybe you can ask just for a cap, and return the one you have for a replacement.....
BIG TIME LEGAL ISSUES!!!!!

Unless you are an 07/02 you can not legally make a new endcap for yourself or anyone else only manufacturers can manufacture silencer components.

In order for him to get a new cap he will have the send the entire suppressor to AAC then they can repair the damage done(or another 07/02). They can't ship out a part and he can't ship them a part, its considered a silencer on its own.

-B
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

That sucks....
NRA Benefactor Member
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Unless you are an 07/02 you can not legally make a new endcap for yourself or anyone else
Job security. Thank you ATF.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Packy, you gonna take AAC on some dates or are you just fuckin? :roll:

Thanks Jason, and yes I had that tool pressed hard, it could have slipped but it happened to quick to notice. At this point I just want a working suppressor.
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
IB Slingin
Silent Operator

Post by IB Slingin »

Fireman, check your PM's
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Here's a tip. One thing I've noticed in a number of Ti-Rant jailbreak photos is owners/jailbreakers have unscrewed the rear cap from the piston housing. Separating these two components can make piston removal difficult in a very comical way. The exterior surface area of the piston housing that becomes accessible by seperating these two components is insignificant compared to the agravation it will cause when they unthread when you don't want them to. The only threaded junction that needs attention during jailbreaking is the front end cap. Unscrewing more than the FEC will lead to additional threaded joints that WILL come unthreaded at the most inopportune time.

Feel free to e-mail me or PM me with any questions.
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

a number of Ti-Rant jailbreak photos is owners/jailbreakers have unscrewed the rear cap from the piston housing
I didn't even have to jail break that part- it just sort of happened after I soaked the thing in a sonic cleaner some time ago...
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Yeah, ultrasonics can loosen the red loctite used to fasten the piston housing to the rear cap. The best way to clean this composite part is to scrub the interior and accessible exterior of the piston housing with a solvent moistened Scotchbrite pad. The rear cap of the Ti-Rant 9 is Type 3 hardcoat anodized 7075. On the Ti-Rant 45, the rear cap is 17-4. The piston housings of both the 9mm and .45 are heat treated 17-4.
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

SilentMike,

Believe it or not, I actually considered lock-titing that rear cap portion again. I just haven't completely made up my mind yet. Maybe I will use blue locktite instead of red.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

copenhagen wrote:SilentMike,

Believe it or not, I actually considered lock-titing that rear cap portion again. I just haven't completely made up my mind yet. Maybe I will use blue locktite instead of red.
If I had a Tommy gun shooting full auto, maybe the blue locktite would be a good idea. But in my application, shooting a few hundred rounds tops, with a few different handguns with it, I enjoy the ability to remove the baffles when I get home and wash out the insides of my can.

The last few times I used dawn and warm water to clean everything out. It came out squeaky clean and my hands were soft and nice smelling too. :lol:
NRA Benefactor Member
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Fireman1291 wrote:Packy, you gonna take AAC on some dates or are you just fuckin? :roll:

Thanks Jason, and yes I had that tool pressed hard, it could have slipped but it happened to quick to notice. At this point I just want a working suppressor.
I just call them like I see them. You could have handled this in a phone call to the manufacturer, instead you whine about weak endcaps. I trust the forum members to do the math.

And I don't work for AAC, nor have I received any free swag from AAC. I just think this is a shitty way to go about handling an RMA.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
YourCoWorker
Senior Silent Operator

Post by YourCoWorker »

I opened my sealed TiRant45 yesterday. I have removed Rocksett from my flash hiders before, so I knew it was going to be tough, and that soaking them would do no good.

I suspended the can, nose down, in a pot of distilled water, keeping the end cap about 1/4" from touching the pan. Slow boil for an hour.

Yanked it out and quickly wrapped it in 6 thicknesses of a dish towel, and put it in the shop vice. I used the end cap tool from user PAIN in a 12" pipe wrench. I had to tighten the vice as I went until it stopped spinning. Be careful not to over tighten. The baffles protect the tube from egging, but I'm sure there is a limit to that.

It took some significant pressure to get it started, but once it broke free it kept going. Felt like unscrewing rusty threads because the Rocksett was still on the endcap, going round and round.

I cleaned up the Rocksett with a brass brush and now everything is perfect.

I had about 300 rounds through the can at this point and it was 'oily dirty', but no chunks or texture to the build-up. I probably won't crack it open for another 2,000 rounds.

Only thing I would have done differently is to boil it for 2 hours to see if that would have made the initial turn easier. Not sure it would have mattered as Rocksett is designed to survive much higher temperatures.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

YourCoWorker wrote:I opened my sealed TiRant45 yesterday.
I suspended the can, nose down, in a pot of distilled water, keeping the end cap about 1/4" from touching the pan.

I used the end cap tool from user PAIN in a 12" pipe wrench.

I cleaned up the Rocksett with a brass brush and now everything is perfect.
Congrats! :mrgreen:
NRA Benefactor Member
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Selectedmarksman wrote:
Fireman1291 wrote:Packy, you gonna take AAC on some dates or are you just fuckin? :roll:

I just call them like I see them. You could have handled this in a phone call to the manufacturer, instead you whine about weak endcaps. I trust the forum members to do the math.

And I don't work for AAC, nor have I received any free swag from AAC. I just think this is a shitty way to go about handling an RMA.

That wasnt my intention. And AAC is in the process of handling my F--k up. So I'm happy as can be and you can go back to being the mighty protector of the forums. :lol:
Industry T&E
Facebook
Instagram
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Fireman1291 wrote:
Selectedmarksman wrote:

That wasnt my intention. And AAC is in the process of handling my F--k up. So I'm happy as can be and you can go back to being the mighty protector of the forums. :lol:
I'll let you have the last jab, so enjoy. It is awesome that AAC is taking care of you, do keep us posted how that works out.

What hosts have you been running the TiRant on, by the way? I was wondering if you were going to try it on .22 hosts or something once it's cleanable and I'm really curious how well that would work out. I have a friend who's torn between a .22 silencer and a good .45acp silencer, so if it works well on sub-calibers that could be a perfect solution.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

What hosts have you been running the TiRant on, by the way? I was wondering if you were going to try it on .22 hosts or something once it's cleanable and I'm really curious how well that would work out. I have a friend who's torn between a .22 silencer and a good .45acp silencer, so if it works well on sub-calibers that could be a perfect solution.[/quote]

Im not mad at ya. Just having some fun internet banter. :wink:

And I dunno if its coming back sealed or not but I have 3 22 cans so I really dont need to use the 9mm tirant on them but ill give it a shot and let ya know what it sounds like. Im guessing it'll sound fine as it has a ton of volume but we'll see how the bore size has an effect on it.
Industry T&E
Facebook
Instagram
singtoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by singtoe »

I haven't been following this for a while but 'Oh My'. I hope ACC is taking care of you.

I thought you had made it once you loosened the cap that little bit.

Well at least on a positive note. When the replace the cap, they will restack the baffaloes in the updated configuration.
nismo542
Silent Operator

Post by nismo542 »

I have been following this thread for a while now. I am still waiting on my stamp for my tirant9. Hopefully coming in Jan., by my nfatracker predictions.

My serial number is in the mid/high 600s. You guys that have successfully opened yours, is this close to your numbers? Just wondering, since the amount and type of adhesive could be the same.

Has everyone encountered rocksett or is anybody seeing loctite was used for the endcap.

I am 50/50 now if i want to break it open, but I do plan to shoot .22 with it since i would rather not wait/pay for a dedicated 22 can so jailbreaking probably is a must.

from reading this thread and others about flashhiders installed with rocksett, it looks like time and water is key to dissolving the rocksett. A rep from for rocksett said that water is its worst enemy. If i can wait 6 months for the stamp i can wait a week to soak and re-soak the endcap in soapy warm water to cleanly get it off.

Anyway, I ordered and received my AAC Ti-rant takedown tool from silencershop. Here are pics of it. It appears to be aluminum body and pressed in steel pins. This should be more substantial than the tac65 tool that looks to be one cast piece, from the pictures of the broken tool. IT seems that the aac tool, the body would give before the pins would snap, although i dont plan to apply that much pressure.

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

nismo542 wrote:I have been following this thread for a while now. I am still waiting on my stamp for my tirant9. Hopefully coming in Jan., by my nfatracker predictions.

My serial number is in the mid/high 600s. You guys that have successfully opened yours, is this close to your numbers? Just wondering, since the amount and type of adhesive could be the same.

Has everyone encountered rocksett or is anybody seeing loctite was used for the endcap.

I am 50/50 now if i want to break it open, but I do plan to shoot .22 with it since i would rather not wait/pay for a dedicated 22 can so jailbreaking probably is a must.

from reading this thread and others about flashhiders installed with rocksett, it looks like time and water is key to dissolving the rocksett. A rep from for rocksett said that water is its worst enemy. If i can wait 6 months for the stamp i can wait a week to soak and re-soak the endcap in soapy warm water to cleanly get it off.

Anyway, I ordered and received my AAC Ti-rant takedown tool from silencershop. Here are pics of it. It appears to be aluminum body and pressed in steel pins. This should be more substantial than the tac65 tool that looks to be one cast piece, from the pictures of the broken tool. IT seems that the aac tool, the body would give before the pins would snap, although i dont plan to apply that much pressure.

You can't jailbreak a TiRant using that tool, the pins are too weak. If you want it jailbroken send it to someone that knows what they are doing so you protect your investment. If you kill your TiRant you are responsible, if we kill it we are responsible. Which would you rather?

Its not always Rocksett on the endcaps either, we have seen Rockett and Loctite(RED) used on TiRant endcaps.

The pins pop out pretty easy, its specifically designed to not aid in jailbreaking.

-B
Last edited by Bendersquint on Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nismo542
Silent Operator

Post by nismo542 »

No offense, but that is what i would expect from someone that jailbreaks for others. I am not going to spend the fee for another to do the job if i can do it myself. Being someone that has lost things in shipping, nfa items a things that i will not risk this happening to.

I would not go to the point of breaking the tools or damaging the endcap. many have sucessfully done this with tac65 tool that to me seems inferior to this tool, atleast the pins. The pin holes in the body of the aac tool would eggout before the pins would break. The ones that have broken the tac tool have admitted to going to fast with the process and applying too much pressure.

If i can get one turn at a time and repeat soaking, I think it will work out.

Red loctite seems that it would be better for the home jailbreaker since it could be heated to loosen the bond.

I mean it cant be impossible since aac has to get back into them for warranty work and i doubt that they clamp them in a vice and go at it with all their might.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

[quote="BendersquintYou can't jailbreak a TiRant using that tool, the pins are too weak. If you want it jailbroken send it to someone that knows what they are doing so you protect your investment. If you kill your TiRant you are responsible, if we kill it we are responsible. Which would you rather?

Its not always Rocksett on the endcaps either, we have seen Rockett and Loctite(RED) used on TiRant endcaps.

-B[/quote]

+1
Or make a stronger tool. That AAC tool is a toy. If you need to put a pipe wrench on it, that tool will break.
NRA Benefactor Member
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

Bendersquint wrote:

You can't jailbreak a TiRant using that tool, the pins are too weak. If you want it jailbroken send it to someone that knows what they are doing so you protect your investment. If you kill your TiRant you are responsible, if we kill it we are responsible. Which would you rather?

The pins pop out pretty easy, its specifically designed to not aid in jailbreaking.

-B
Sorry as well, but 100% not true. The Tirant 45 can be jailbroken using the AAC tool. Is it the best tool, probably not. If you cant get it off with the AAC tool or it requires enough force that breaks the tool, then you probably should leave it alone. People have broken their endcaps completely trying too hard.
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come