Ruger 10/22 Threaded Barrel

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Ruger 10/22 Threaded Barrel

Post by Jack_Bauer »

I ordered one from Hi-Desert Dog but have had to contact the BBB as they will not ship it and no replies to emails so I have to look at an alternative place for one. I'm looking a 18" Green Mountain bull threaded barrel.
Last edited by Jack_Bauer on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the people fear the govt there is tyranny, when the govt fears the people there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
Solothurn
Silent But Deadly

Re: Where To By 10/22 Threaded Barrel

Post by Solothurn »

I had Hooper Ordnance cut, thread, and reinstall the front sight on my factory 10/22 barrel. Hoop does first-class work in a reasonable time.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Might try these guys out:

http://www.eabco.com/102210.htm
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

That is surprising about Hi Desert Dog, have you tried calling? I know of at least a few people on here that have dealt with them in barrels and firearms, no problems that I heard of.
lsstokes
Senior Silent Operator

Post by lsstokes »

I bought one from EABCO and he chamber was tight would not eject. Called and they said send it back for replacement. I had been using it for 3-4 months, but they had no problem taking it back. Great people to deal with. I ended up getting a TACSOL barrel for same price. I like TACSOL much better.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterson
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

Yeah, I found EABCO website yesterday and sent them an email. I finally heard back form Hi-Desert Dog late yesterday after I had contacted the BBB in NV on Tuesday of this week. I was told they had run out of threaded barrels and had to do one just for me, strange since 5 days after I placed the order they said it will ship the Tuesday after Labor day but it never came and couldn't get any response to emails or calls. Goes to show when you put the heat on folks things will get done, not sure if I'll do business with them again as I was not the first guy to contact the BBB about the way they have done things.
"When the people fear the govt there is tyranny, when the govt fears the people there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
Hatchetjoe
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hatchetjoe »

Buy a match grade Kidd bbl and as an option you can order it threaded, Great product- also reflected in the price.
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

+1 for the KIDD barrels I have 3 and am very happy with them.
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

Less than an hour ago I put in an order for a 18" black chrome moly .920 barrel from YHM.

http://www.yhm.net/store/ruger_barrels.html

I've heard good things about their AR barrels, at $155 shipped, I figured I'd give them a try. I think they use to use GM barrels, not sure about now thou.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Wahnsinn wrote:That is surprising about Hi Desert Dog, have you tried calling? I know of at least a few people on here that have dealt with them in barrels and firearms, no problems that I heard of.
I'm not a fan of Hi-desertdog. If someone searches Google they will find quite a few negative reviews. Mine is one of them. Bret/Hi-desertdog is an interesting case. Some think he's a fantastic machinist and can do good work. This is for sure, he is not consistent with his skill, promises or business practices. YMMV
Last edited by strobro32 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

I do remember looking at the Kidd barrels but they don't have any that are blued.
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

I think Brownells has er shaw threaded barrels for $99.
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

When installing the new bull barrel on the receiver how tight should I tighten the V-Block? Also would you recommend using the factory V-Block or installing a Tactical V-Block so there is no gap between the block and barrel?
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

I've always pulled it very tight... I had one that wouldn't group at all and later noticed it had come loose so the barrel had some play in it. Not much, but enough to make a difference. Pull it tight.
aquajon
Silent But Deadly

Post by aquajon »

FWIW, I ordered a barrel from Hi-DesertDog on Friday and received it today. Very fast turn around time and the machining work looks good.
I'm going to mount it tonight and do some grouping tests in the garage :D

I think the key when ordering from HDD is to get a barrel that's in stock. Also, I emailed him before and after the purchase and received responses very quickly, within a few hours on both occasions.

Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

Hellrazor wrote:I've always pulled it very tight... I had one that wouldn't group at all and later noticed it had come loose so the barrel had some play in it. Not much, but enough to make a difference. Pull it tight.
Would you possibly put a bit of locktite on it?
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

Jack_Bauer wrote:Would you possibly put a bit of locktite on it?
You can. I bump the barrel around a bit and then tighten again to make sure I work out any play. Once tight, there's not enough recoil or anything that would cause them to back out so I haven't used loc-tite on mine... but can't hurt.
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

Thanks, will try and get some pics up when my can gets here.
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

Hellrazor wrote:I think Brownells has er shaw threaded barrels for $99.
I got my barrel from YHM today, and it has ER Shaw on the damn side.

Brownell's has the same barrel for $40.00 less than I paid. Does YHM get Shaw barrels, and thread them themselves, work them over, or did I just get screwed?

I'm thinking the latter.
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

Well got the barrel on the receiver and installed on the Hougestock. When it's time to clean the barrel if you remove the suppressor to do so and reinstall it will there be any POIS?a
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

WooD wrote:
Hellrazor wrote:I think Brownells has er shaw threaded barrels for $99.
I got my barrel from YHM today, and it has ER Shaw on the damn side.

Brownell's has the same barrel for $40.00 less than I paid. Does YHM get Shaw barrels, and thread them themselves, work them over, or did I just get screwed?

I'm thinking the latter.

Quoting myself here.......

Just got off the phone with YHM, and they do buy Shaw blanks, and finish them in shop.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Plus, when I looked at Brownells, they didn't have all the options that YHM has. Brownells I only saw an 18" blued threaded barrel, YHM has 18" and 16", blued and stainless.
45shooter
Silent Operator

Post by 45shooter »

I just got one from tactical innovations for 125.00 standard contour.. shoots great with my butler creek folding stock. Still waiting on the Mite pending since May 16. Also picked up a buffer to quiet up the action clack. Good company.
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

45shooter wrote:I just got one from tactical innovations for 125.00 standard contour.. shoots great with my butler creek folding stock. Still waiting on the Mite pending since May 16. Also picked up a buffer to quiet up the action clack. Good company.

Same exact setup I have. I have the Spectre and CCI standard vel is as quiet as my 4.5" pistol. You will like that combo.
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

Would you get the most accuracy out of an 1:9 twist bull barrel or a 1:16 when using subsonic ammo?
Last edited by Jack_Bauer on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]