Ruger 10/22 Threaded Barrel

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ruger 10/22 Threaded Barrel

Post by LonghunterCO »

My wife has a Kidd light weight (more of a mid-weight) threaded (16" Blue). It is very nice but requires a spacer.

kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

your wife's rifle looks great. looks like she's got the Kidd trigger and bolt charging handle as well. did you upgrade the bolt too?
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

kaotic504 wrote:your wife's rifle looks great. looks like she's got the Kidd trigger and bolt charging handle as well. did you upgrade the bolt too?
Replaced the ejector (with a Kidd) but other than that the bolt is stock. Shortly after this picture I bought a second Kidd for my rifle. Same setup on mine except Clark barrel, stock not shortened, and a APT vs the wifes APV scope. Need to get the Clark threaded too...
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

Would you get the most accuracy out of an 1:9 twist bull barrel or a 1:16 when using subsonic ammo?
"When the people fear the govt there is tyranny, when the govt fears the people there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

Jack_Bauer wrote:Would you get the most accuracy out of an 1:9 twist bull barrel or a 1:16 when using subsonic ammo?
There are sub-sonic rounds in the typical (read this lighter) weights are fine with the 1:16. The 1:9 seems to be the prefered for the 60gr (heavy weight) subs.
Greg Kulbick
Silent But Deadly

Post by Greg Kulbick »

A friend of mine whos a smith in Thomasville, GA has started threading factory 10/22 barrels, using a portion of the barrel cut off with the front site and indexing the threads so when you put the thread protector/front sight on it still works as irons. Looks pretty slick.
www.renegade-armament.com
01 FFL/03 SOT
jcsparky
Silent Operator

Post by jcsparky »

I too have been looking at the KIDD stuff.
Threaded Fluted for Suppressor.
Any of you guys running a can on a Fluted or Kidd barrel.

Lookin at the trigger upgrade too.

I did manage to get a threaded Barrel from GemTech with the Iron Sights, its a constant thing to find them in stock..
but works anf fits great.
HALO, G5, OBIID, SF762K, AACSDN6
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

jcsparky wrote:I too have been looking at the KIDD stuff.
Threaded Fluted for Suppressor.
Any of you guys running a can on a Fluted or Kidd barrel.

Lookin at the trigger upgrade too.

I did manage to get a threaded Barrel from GemTech with the Iron Sights, its a constant thing to find them in stock..
but works anf fits great.
The 16" one at the top of the page is a Kidd Lightweight, threaded. Also both are running Kidd triggers now. Very nice.

Post by 193296 »

I realize this thread is over a year old .... but it came up in a search I did regarding Kidd lightweight threaded barrels.

I am about to buy a Kidd threaded lightweight barrel to put a Spectre II suppressor on. I don't have the Spectre II yet since it's still tied up with BATF, but hopefully by xmas.

In the instructions for the Spectre II it says to not use threads deeper than 0.400". In the ordering info for the Kidd Barrel it states the thread size as ".475 x 1/2 - 28". It would seem that .475 is too deep for the Spectre II?

Does anyone have any experience with this? In a post above LonghunterCO mentions that a spacer is required for a Kidd barrel he has. Does anyone know if this is because of this size? (and I have PM'd LonghunterCO about this too).

What is a spacer? and is it any big deal?

Thanks.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

193296 wrote:I realize this thread is over a year old .... but it came up in a search I did regarding Kidd lightweight threaded barrels.

I am about to buy a Kidd threaded lightweight barrel to put a Spectre II suppressor on. I don't have the Spectre II yet since it's still tied up with BATF, but hopefully by xmas.

In the instructions for the Spectre II it says to not use threads deeper than 0.400". In the ordering info for the Kidd Barrel it states the thread size as ".475 x 1/2 - 28". It would seem that .475 is too deep for the Spectre II?

Does anyone have any experience with this? In a post above LonghunterCO mentions that a spacer is required for a Kidd barrel he has. Does anyone know if this is because of this size? (and I have PM'd LonghunterCO about this too).

What is a spacer? and is it any big deal?

Thanks.
The .475 length threads will work perfect if the are converted to the Oring engagement threads for the Spectre II
I dont know why Kidd does the barrel threads so long as the standard for 22 LR is .400 to .438
I have trimmed down the threads on a few kidd barrels to .400 and converted the Kidds longer
.475 threads into the Oring engagement threads for the Spectre II and Sparrow.
Stan1

Post by Stan1 »

Bringing this one back to life once again. Admins, please move if this is posted in the wrong place.

I'm setting up my skinny factory 10/22 barrel in the lathe to thread for my Sparrow SS. The factory barrel is only ~.560 in diameter after cutting to 16.5". That doesn't leave a lot of shoulder, roughly .045" per side ((OD - minor dia of the 12-28 thread) / 2).

Searching around the interwebs I see a number of factory 10/22s threaded for suppressors. The question I have is does this narrow shoulder hold up in use?

TIA
Stan1

Post by Stan1 »

Answering my own question, I found the same setup on the SilencerCo site, so it must be OK.
(Skinny factory barrel and Sparrow SS)

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Prod ... New-vs-Old
Jack_Bauer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jack_Bauer »

I have seen several 10/22 with factory skinny barrel threaded and seems to be ok. I on the other hand went for the larger barrel so my suppressor blended with the barrel. I can get groups the size of a dime at 50yrds.
"When the people fear the govt there is tyranny, when the govt fears the people there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
[b]GOA Life Member[/b]