Lazy Americans

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

silencertalk
Site Admin

Lazy Americans

Post by silencertalk »

Who among us does not know this is true? I can't get a kid to shovel our walkway for $20 and it is like 20 minutes of work.
Alabama's unemployment rate last month was 9.8 percent, higher than the national average of 9.1 percent. But some farmers have complained that Americans are unwilling or unable to do the work that migrant workers did.
Potato farmer Kevin Smith told The Associated Press that the Americans he hired show up late, work slower and are ready to call it quits after a day on the job or sooner.
"I've had people calling me wanting to work," Smith said. "I haven't turned any of them down, but they're not any good. It’s hard work, they just don’t work like the Hispanics with experience."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/10 ... -employers
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Lazy Americans

Post by chrismartin »

Related:

http://www.pjtv.com/?cmd=mpg&mpid=56&load=6158

Basically, we are lazy because we have been so successful (as a country/society). We are now about two generations out from having to do real work.

I know my grandfathers worked their asses off in coal mines, farms, etc. Even in their personal life, they had their own gardens and in retirement still woke up at 4 or 5AM and went out and worked on everything from personal projects, cars, gardens, etc.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

We have way too big of a safety net and Americans know how to use it.

Each time that I was in Ecuador I'd come home and be in a real snit about Americans. I lived among extremely poor people who survived day to day by hard work. If they lost a job it meant that they'd go out and find someone to hire them doing anything. If they didn't then they're families would go hungry.

Americans? For the most part fat shiftless lazy bums. Myself included. Pull back unemployment, food stamps, welfare, etc... and you'd have people in the streets crying tears as big as horse turds about how unfair things are to them.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by LeftEyeMike »

Occupy wall street?
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

LeftEyeMike wrote:Occupy wall street?
occupy .gov
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

Lazy is right. The place I work is hireing now (I run a printing press). We really need alot of people. Some skilled and some not. We only got 3 new hires in the last month... I get to train the new operators and so far it is a mix. One guy is great. Eager to learn and willing to stay late. Another just rolls his eyes when I tell him he needs to go faster. The govt tit must be good...

Jk
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

The new generation better get tough and learn to like work. I was listening to an interview with Harry S Dent on tv and he predicts a big crash between 2012 and 2014.
Go the the news & stories forum and look for his name in the Topics heading.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
warjunky1428
Silent But Deadly

Post by warjunky1428 »

We should just use them like every great society in history did with the lowest class. Spartans, Greeks, Romans, etc, they all had the right idea.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

My generation (I'm 28) is possibly one of the worst yet!

I grew up and currently live on a farm. My sophomore year of high school I returned after a summer of hauling hay in the fields for my dad. My classmates thought I had taken steroids all summer and wanted to know if I could get them any. I explained I primarily did it hauling hay and said we had plenty more to haul if they wanted to help....not ONE person wanted to actually work to get built and make a little money before football. Junior and Senior year I returned to school bigger and stronger....every time they would mention wanting to help to get in shape, but never showed.

Same goes for the workplace. I had an ad out to hire and called multiple people in for interviews......around 70% actually showed, 50% of those had the gall to tell me they wouldn't work for less than $XX.XX/hour....

If 2012 doesn't wipe this country out....don't worry, my generation of lazy idiots will do their best to destroy society.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

eazenutz33 is right. The mid 20 something age group is the worst. The same age group as the Occupy idiots. No work ethic. It is just give it to me now, and I will learn later. Also, they seem to need a break every 15 min. We have an assistant that could be a decent operator with some training, but he wants operator pay BEFORE he learns how to do it.

Jk
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

eazenutz33 wrote:My generation (I'm 28) is possibly one of the worst yet!

I grew up and currently live on a farm. My sophomore year of high school I returned after a summer of hauling hay in the fields for my dad. My classmates thought I had taken steroids all summer and wanted to know if I could get them any. I explained I primarily did it hauling hay and said we had plenty more to haul if they wanted to help....not ONE person wanted to actually work to get built and make a little money before football. Junior and Senior year I returned to school bigger and stronger....every time they would mention wanting to help to get in shape, but never showed.

Same goes for the workplace. I had an ad out to hire and called multiple people in for interviews......around 70% actually showed, 50% of those had the gall to tell me they wouldn't work for less than $XX.XX/hour....

If 2012 doesn't wipe this country out....don't worry, my generation of lazy idiots will do their best to destroy society.
That is an awesome post.

I have my new hire program pretty fine-tuned. I start out at a decent wage that IS above what a non-licensed employee should get. I use this attractive rate to get a "yes" from a candidate my headhunter has tested and results seem to identify as having the right attitude, work ethic, and ability.

Within 30 days the person HAS to STUDY like crazy and sit for the Pennsylvania licensing exam. This is admittedly challenging.... but VERY doable with personal effort studying.

Usually we have spent so much time together with their license study book I KNOW if the person is a match. The license test demands 70% pass, I demand 80. If they perform they get a 20% raise immediately. If not, adios.

Slow to hire, quick to fire. You get results, you get compensated.
-----
Ick
igpoobah
Senior Silent Operator

Post by igpoobah »

I do drafting work. When I hire these punks straight out of 2 year college with a CAD MONKEY degree they think they should be making $20 per hour right out of the gate and shouldn't have to do s--t because they have a 'degree' on the wall.
No. You get 8-10 bucks an hour, fool. The degree just gets you in the door. You know how to work a program. Now you have to learn the business that we use the program for. The software isn't s--t. The product is the hard part. You can make damn good money but you have to pay your dues. You have to do s--t work; and while you do s--t work, you learn. Maybe in 5 years if you bust your ass and learn everything you can you will be making $20 an hour.

Nobody wants to pay their dues anymore.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

igpoobah wrote:Nobody wants to pay their dues anymore.
This is exactly it... This is also the Everybody gets a trophy crowd...

Jk
warjunky1428
Silent But Deadly

Post by warjunky1428 »

If I do the math I get paid a buck or less an hour, and when looking at it like that, it really sucks.

The main problem is people think they are in dire straits and can't buy adequate or healthy food but still have a tv, cable, new-ish computer, internet, gaming system, cell phone, run their a/c or heater to be comfortable in whatever clothes they want, etc. Eventually people will get the picture, but hopefully nature will take it's course and most will die before they do as to leave the world better for the rest of us.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein, "Beyond This Horizon", 1942
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

You get 8-10 bucks an hour, fool.
It is hard to make rent on a 1 bedroom apartment, pay utilities, car insurance, gas, and food on $16,000 to $20,000 a year, these days, isn't it?

I thought drafting paid better. Heck, McDonalds pays $10 for prime time employees.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

That's why it is worthwhile to invest in yourself in all ways possible. A degree helps to some extent but certifications and other training go a long way in the workforce. The more skills that you learn in life the better off that you will be in the long run.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
igpoobah
Senior Silent Operator

Post by igpoobah »

DustyJacket wrote:
It is hard to make rent on a 1 bedroom apartment, pay utilities, car insurance, gas, and food on $16,000 to $20,000 a year, these days, isn't it?

I thought drafting paid better. Heck, McDonalds pays $10 for prime time employees.
First off, these are college kids still living at home with mommy. They can afford it.
And it does pay good, excellent in fact, once you learn the business. It goes much deeper than drawing pretty pictures though. MUCH. You've got to have an intimate knowledge of WHAT you are drawing. It typically takes 2 years in my industry to become proficient. That's ain't GOOD, just proficient. I shouldn't even be paying them that much to start because they are basically worthless to me for the first 2 years...but they have to start somewhere in order to get where they need to be. If they make it to 'proficient' it was worth it. I bounce 95% of them though because they don't want to put in the work to become GOOD. Rather play on the internet all day. idiots.
igpoobah
Senior Silent Operator

Post by igpoobah »

bakerjw wrote:That's why it is worthwhile to invest in yourself in all ways possible. A degree helps to some extent but certifications and other training go a long way in the workforce. The more skills that you learn in life the better off that you will be in the long run.
If I've said this once, I've said it a million times...

"You can't know too much s--t"
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

DustyJacket wrote:

Its nearly impossible. I paid my own way through college, and worked full time for 3 of the 4 years. After I graduated in May '09, I spent 20 months looking for a job in my degree field (Environmental Law). I had a week where I drove 1600 miles to job interviews. I worked a few jobs in between but finally took a job that offered great pay, great retirement, but required no degree and I'm enjoying it.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
mudshark
Silent But Deadly

Post by mudshark »

DustyJacket wrote:

My first job in my industry paid $12,536 a year in 1993. 4 year degree required.

I lived in a rented house with 5 other people (4 of them co-workers) , ate Ramen nightly, no cable, no social life, with $18,000 in student loan debt, and worked every second of overtime I could. For three years.

I have exactly ZERO FUCKING SYMPATHY for any motherfucker who says "it's not enough money, I can't make it on that".
Mitt Romney is a gun banning RINO.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

It's true. Decades of coddling have bred mediocrity.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

igpoobah wrote:No. You get 8-10 bucks an hour, fool. The degree just gets you in the door. You know how to work a program. Now you have to learn the business that we use the program for. The software isn't s--t. The product is the hard part. You can make damn good money but you have to pay your dues. You have to do s--t work; and while you do s--t work, you learn. Maybe in 5 years if you bust your ass and learn everything you can you will be making $20 an hour. .
That sounds harsh, but at the same time, I bet a large percentage of them are useless. Still, if I found a useful one, I would up their pay in 6 months or a year.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

igpoobah wrote: First off, these are college kids still living at home with mommy. They can afford it.
As with many things in life... You get what you pay for.

There's a reason sucessful corporations hire from top-teir schools and good wages for people with essentially no experience.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
igpoobah
Senior Silent Operator

Post by igpoobah »

silencertalk wrote:
igpoobah wrote:No. You get 8-10 bucks an hour, fool. The degree just gets you in the door. You know how to work a program. Now you have to learn the business that we use the program for. The software isn't s--t. The product is the hard part. You can make damn good money but you have to pay your dues. You have to do s--t work; and while you do s--t work, you learn. Maybe in 5 years if you bust your ass and learn everything you can you will be making $20 an hour. .
That sounds harsh, but at the same time, I bet a large percentage of them are useless. Still, if I found a useful one, I would up their pay in 6 months or a year.
Useful ones get 2-3 raises per year of usually a dollar per hour or so. I work off of the merit system and give credit where it's due. He who brings the most to the table gets the most money the quickest.
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

I work at a gun shop in CA and make $12/hour. Sounds like I should consider myself lucky.