Tactical gear.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

My Leupold 1.1-8 CQBSS review

Post by GlockandRoll »

“The best carbine optic on the market?”
By: GlockandRoll

I am very excited to tell you about my first day in the field with the new Leupold Mk 8 CQBSS 1.1-8 front focal plan scope. I really hoped not to start my review with the clichéd “I could tell it was good when I opened the box“, but; let me tell you – I could tell it was good when I opened the box!

Let’s start with the tube body itself: It is large, 34mm in fact, which I assumed was to get more light in and allow more elevation travel.. I had no idea how right I was until heading out to Best of The West this morning with Charles and Adam. The wide body (and hopefully you can judge this from the pictures) delivers incredible light transmission, edge to edge clarity, and flawless color. We had a truck full of rigs out there with high-end optics from S&B, NF, USO, et al.. and this scope held it’s on with our quick “set them all to 8x and line them up test”. And trust me here, I’m an FAA licensed pilot with 20:10 or better vision, and have always considered myself a good judge of optical quality – this is some damned good glass folks!

So let me quickly reiterate what I think about the Leupold Index Matched Lens System, in this optic: It delivers incredible light transmission, edge to edge clarity, and flawless color.

There, I said it twice.

Now, let’s talk about the main reason you, I, or anyone else would be crazy enough to dump $3K+ into an optic. The main reason I wanted it was because of the versatility this scope offers. No doubt, it’s not a small scope, but then again it’s able to replace two other optics at the same time, my Aimpoint on a LaRue mount, and my 2.5-10 Mk4 MR/T illuminated TMR scope w/ARMS rings. So the way I see it, it’s smaller and less to hall around that those two combined so it is a win.

Sure many will argue “but I can have this and that combined.. for the same price!” fair enough, but is it going to be as rugged, as optically excellent, and function as well without the need to use QD rings and worry about losing zero, or be as good at each role?

Let me also talk about the knobs for a moment. They are amazing it offers 10 Mils of travel with each elevation knob revolution with auto-locking pinch and turn adjustment which I am told Leupold is getting a patent on, as they should it’s the only locking adjustment knob that you can rapidly dial your dope into. It really works well and the clicks are firm and audible in 0.10 mil increments.

I really liked the Horus vision H-27D reticule with a cleverly integrated 5 MOA holographic dot. The front-focal plane allows you to zoom out to 1.1 power and the all you can see is the donut and the horizon line.

H-27D models will feature the M118LR 7.62mm BDC dial, and I did not realize this so I had to do my .10 MIL counts to shoot out to 700 yards. It was not a problem for me, it’s just something to be aware of.

What was that you said? “But GlockandRoll, that’s just too expensive.. I can buy this and that” Sure, it’s not cheap – but I’ll argue that a single tool able to perform multiple roles is better than having to swap tools for different roles. That argument holds just as true when you are in a 3-gun match when you have to engage long-range targets just seconds after close-range targets, as it does in life-and death situations. A fitting analogy would be like having a race car w/slicks and rain tires, but in a fantasy world where a single tire was a sticky on dry pavement as the slicks and as good in the rain as the grooved tire. I would have thought it was impossible until I received this scope last week.

Show me another scope that makes a 5MOA holographic donut reticule that’s so bright we had to back it down of it’s highest setting in the South Central Texas sun at high-noon, that you can – with the flick of a wrist – have a 1000+ yard brilliant FFP reticule piece of glass for long range work with edge-to-edge clarity that is this well made at any price, I dare you.

If you are curious about this piece, please check out Leupold’s website for the Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS Front Focal scope and tell them GlockandRoll sent you.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/product ... ont-focal/

I assure you, it is worth checking out.

at 250 yards

250 yards
1x at 250 yards

500 yards, 8 x, unlit

500 yards, 8 x, lit reticle, 1K orange 19" plates in the far background
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Re: My Leupold 1.1-8 CQBSS review

Post by goteron »

Thanks for the writeup. Have you shot it on the run at 1.1x, can you shoot both eyes open? Quickly?

Where did you find the Horus model for sale?
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I've found it as fast as an aimpoint w/both eyes open.

Leopold sent it too me to evaluate, they can find you a stocking dealer if you want.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Nice, I thought that model ( Horus, good illumination) wasn't available. I was just about to buy a set of three 1-4s, but if I can get these... How did you get the evaluation deal?
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

email [email protected] or call 1800LEUPOLD option 4.
One of Pam's guys will help you find one.

I write for http://tacticalgunreview.com/, check us out and add us on FB if you would be so kind.
https://www.facebook.com/TacticalGunReview
:)
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

How many degrees of rotation does it take to go from 1.1 - 8x?

Thanks
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

About 180 or something close.. I'll look in the specs when I have time.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Thanks, would appreciate a close number.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

goteron wrote:Thanks, would appreciate a close number.
I dont see it listed in the specs, but it's right about 190 degrees or so. This is a guess becuase the flip up cap goes from just below the L vertical plane to just below the R vertical plane when I go from 1-8 power.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

goteron wrote:Thanks for the writeup. Have you shot it on the run at 1.1x, can you shoot both eyes open? Quickly?
It's great and clear, as good as any other optic I've used.

That said, CAN it be used fast/both eyes at 1.1? yes.

Is it good at it? No.

Does it feel anything like an Aimpoint or Eotech at 1.1? No. It's still a scope with magnification even at 1.1.

I've spent a lot of time behind a few of them over the past 2 years.
It's an amazing scope at all settings, the turrets are robust and easy to use. And it does what it does as good or better than anything else out. But it is big and expensive.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
lmurtha1
Silent Operator

Post by lmurtha1 »

I just picked mine up yesterday and its mounted on a 13.5" scar 17. I want to start by saying it is ridiculously expensive, BUT, im glad and will tell you that it is worth every penny and worth its weight in GOLD. You can open both eyes perfectly at 1.1 and there is no fish eye. Its like a fine swiss watch. Its similar to owning a custom $4,000 wilson combat 1911. You baby it and dont want to scratch it although THIS IS built to be abused and still hold zero. if you got the money, GET THIS THING DAMNIT!
"A bullet sounds the same in every language"
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

lmurtha1 wrote:I just picked mine up yesterday and its mounted on a 13.5" scar 17. I want to start by saying it is ridiculously expensive, BUT, im glad and will tell you that it is worth every penny and worth its weight in GOLD. You can open both eyes perfectly at 1.1 and there is no fish eye. Its like a fine swiss watch. Its similar to owning a custom $4,000 wilson combat 1911. You baby it and dont want to scratch it although THIS IS built to be abused and still hold zero. if you got the money, GET THIS THING DAMNIT!
It's hard not to get exited about it.. even the money it costs seems irrelevant considering what you can did with it.
:)
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

Nice write up, JasonM is right also. I've just recently been using the H27D versions. I had the TMR but didn't care for it. So far this version has been much better in my opinion.
Tom
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Thanks Tom!
hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Post by hedonistic »

Thanks, for the write up. I have been looking at a few scopes, the Swarovski Z6 1.7-10, the IOR 1-10x26 Eliminator Tactical
35mm Rifle Scope, which is a 1-10 with the dot in the second FP and the reticule in the first, the last and most likely is the
SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope.

I do not have a place anywhere near here where I can get eyes on the glass, the SWFA is preorder, the Swarovski is a
fantastic piece of glass but 1.1 vs 1.7 for both eyes open is really no contest. Lastly the IOR has good product they as I
understand it do not have the same problem(s) they once did, Leupold makes some darn fine glass has fantastic customer support
and is "only" 500 more.

Have you had hands on any of the other glass? How do they compare? The 2.2mm exit pupil is a bit small on the IOR for a 10X.
Islam is an intolerant, oppressive, social, political, governmental institution that preaches hatred and murder it was created by a man who married a six year old child.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

hedonistic wrote:Thanks, for the write up. I have been looking at a few scopes, the Swarovski Z6 1.7-10, the IOR 1-10x26 Eliminator Tactical
35mm Rifle Scope, which is a 1-10 with the dot in the second FP and the reticule in the first, the last and most likely is the
SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope.

I do not have a place anywhere near here where I can get eyes on the glass, the SWFA is preorder, the Swarovski is a
fantastic piece of glass but 1.1 vs 1.7 for both eyes open is really no contest. Lastly the IOR has good product they as I
understand it do not have the same problem(s) they once did, Leupold makes some darn fine glass has fantastic customer support
and is "only" 500 more.

Have you had hands on any of the other glass? How do they compare? The 2.2mm exit pupil is a bit small on the IOR for a 10X.
Great question, as I have an SWFA 1-6 on order as well.
I have to tell you, also, that the new Blackbird2 from Horus is amazing for the price - and I'm also playing around alot with the new Trijicon stuff.

The thing, for me, is to find something that suits every role you will use you rig in; and then.... buy the best optic you can afford, even if you have to put in on credit, that will suffice said role.
hedonistic
Silent But Deadly

Post by hedonistic »

I stand corrected on the price it's like 1500.00 more for the Leupold than the IOR. I'd like to know what you think of the 1-6 and SWFA's glass in general. Not a big fan of the Hours vision, never owned on and only shot 30 rounds under one, so maybe not a fair shake. But, there is to much going on for my taste. I agree with good equipment that meets the needs, and great glass. To many guys focus on the newest and best gun then go for cheap ammo and crap glass. I've seen guys who spent 2k on a gun add $500 in bolt ons then feed it wolf and top it with a cool looking NC star or EoTech clone. Then after they can't soot it they say the buddy with a $600-700 gun and a $600-700 in glassis just a really good shot who got lucky with that one gun. Thing is the lucky guy has fewer guns knows them better and shoots more and better quality ammo.
I am not into 3 gun yet, I am not shooting at the moving popups that shoot back and next time I might (going to the Stan as a contractor) they choose my equipment. That said this is for a MSAR in 5.56 (AAC hurry up with that integral 300 black) and the 5.56 is not going to be my gun of choice when I need more than 6X. So I think the SWFA might be just the ticket.
I do not finance, last car next house when I buy I save and pay cash, If I cant I do not need it.
Islam is an intolerant, oppressive, social, political, governmental institution that preaches hatred and murder it was created by a man who married a six year old child.