Tirant 45 2011 endcap

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Tirant 45 2011 endcap

Post by EEdave86 »

I made a quick closeup video of my new tirant 45 endcap. I got the 2011 model so it was not rocksett. I wanted to show the oring cut on the endcap and the surface on the tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mlrxdvAwbI

Also did a closeup video of the prodigy if any wants to see the sweet cuts on the core. So cool :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Tirant 45 2011 endcap

Post by Bendersquint »

EEdave86 wrote:I made a quick closeup video of my new tirant 45 endcap. I got the 2011 model so it was not rocksett. I wanted to show the oring cut on the endcap and the surface on the tube.

Also did a closeup video of the prodigy if any wants to see the sweet cuts on the core. So cool :)
There is no O-ring cut on that endcap, they ALL look like that sealed or not-sealed, its just the thread relief.

The tube isn't machined any different than a sealed TiRant either.

Sorry to disappoint.

Nice closeup video though, what kind of cam are you using?

-B
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Bendersquint, are you saying that there is NO difference in the unsealed and sealed TiRants besides Rocksett?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

copenhagen wrote:Bendersquint, are you saying that there is NO difference in the unsealed and sealed TiRants besides Rocksett?
Not from any of the TiRant that we have seen, no difference in endcaps and no difference in the tubes. Haven't seen a single O-Ring in the endcap or adjusted tube for said O-Ring either.

The older the can the less the adhesive though. My theory is that initially they didn't figure many would try to get in but as videos started hitting YouTube on how to jailbreak it the coatings got thicker and thicker. AAC publicly denied that they altered that but the amount of adhesive went from a small drop(like .15 size) to painted on with a paintbrush the later the serial number.

We have even seen TiRants that had to have been dipped in Red Loctite!

We have had TiRants come in that were supposedly user serviceable(verified by AAC) that required more work to get inside than the sealed ones.

-B
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

copenhagen wrote:Bendersquint, are you saying that there is NO difference in the unsealed and sealed TiRants besides Rocksett?
Oooh, one thing we haven't been tracking and starting to see more and more of is GOLD baffles and flat SILVER baffles. We are kicking ourselves that we didn't track that when we starting seeing them but who knows why they are different colors, no rhyme or reason to them, maybe different production batches? They aren't in specific orders just randomly in the stacks as well

Then again the whole alignment thing is hit and miss as well, most baffle stacks are not lined up and appear to be mass production assembled, hurry up and get them assembled and out the door.

Who knows.

-B
dbrown
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dbrown »

I'll have to open mine up (assuming it is indeed a take-apart). It's been pending for 4 months.

B, are the baffles supposed to be aligned in a certain way?
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Bendersquint, I don't know if you recall, but the reason given by Advance Armament for not offering to jailbreak TiRants was that the endcaps and tubes were different to provide for an O-Ring. I suppose if I was motivated I could search and find the thread, but suffice it to say, it would appear that is not the reason AAC will not jailbreak the TiRants. (not that I really care any more- I got into mine on my own)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

copenhagen wrote:Bendersquint, I don't know if you recall, but the reason given by Advance Armament for not offering to jailbreak TiRants was that the endcaps and tubes were different to provide for an O-Ring. I suppose if I was motivated I could search and find the thread, but suffice it to say, it would appear that is not the reason AAC will not jailbreak the TiRants. (not that I really care any more- I got into mine on my own)
I recall the stated reason but haven't seen a difference in tubing or endcap.

I have a TiRant thats about 2 months off the factory floor and there is no change. Seen TiRants ranging from single digits all the way through the ranks to the one we have in the shop.

There are other reasons on why they won't jailbreak but won't get into them.

-B
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dbrown wrote:I'll have to open mine up (assuming it is indeed a take-apart). It's been pending for 4 months.

B, are the baffles supposed to be aligned in a certain way?
Depends who you ask, if they are coming from the factory not all aligned it lends me to believe that alignment isn't really necessary, and from our testing alignment doesn't have much of an effect on the performance, at least my God given sound meters don't notice any difference.

Supposedly for the 45ACP the best performance is the first 5 are all aligned and the remaining 4 are 180 degrees off and aligned.

Had several customers test it out and haven't seen any difference either.

-B
kaotic504
Silent But Deadly

Post by kaotic504 »

Bendersquint wrote: ...
The older the can the less the adhesive though. My theory is that initially they didn't figure many would try to get in but as videos started hitting YouTube on how to jailbreak it the coatings got thicker and thicker. AAC publicly denied that they altered that but the amount of adhesive went from a small drop(like .15 size) to painted on with a paintbrush the later the serial number.

We have even seen TiRants that had to have been dipped in Red Loctite!
-B
Bendersquint, I have a TiRant45 with the serial number in the 400 range, do you believe jailbreaking it is something i can accomplish myself? I'm not trying to take away from your business ( i still want to send my Evo-9 and Pilot to you ), just wondering if it's worth the effort to try to jailbreak it versus the risk.

thanks!
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

It was to me:

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

EEdave86 wrote:I made a quick closeup video of my new tirant 45 endcap. I got the 2011 model so it was not rocksett. I wanted to show the oring cut on the endcap and the surface on the tube.

Check for stability and keyholing with pistols at 15 and 30 feet. The FRP may cause the bullets to keyhole... If you silencer DOES it.. AAV will give you the far superior core the Gen II for free.

I have had the Gen I the Gen II and now the Gen III. The Gen III is FAR better. for many reasons besides no keyholing, longer time between cleanings (less buildup, easier core cleaning, and no noticeable dB difference.

AAC says .5 dB louder, but I bet after 50-75 rounds in each the Gen III will be the same.. I also felt the FRP was less.

Note the area above the mouse holes is gone.. Giving the baffles more internal room... helping to reduce crap above the mouse holes.. you now mostly get buildup on the sides, not the top, bottom, and the sides.

Also the baffle pattern is easier to clean. Blast baffle is different too.

Check for stability out of all your pistols!
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Bendersquint wrote:Depends who you ask, if they are coming from the factory not all aligned it lends me to believe that alignment isn't really necessary
I don't think keyholing is much of an issue when you have a giant heavy bullet like a .45.

In .22 however, it is important . . . I've seen plenty of k-baffles cause keyholing when all of the vents are lined up.
JohnInNH wrote:Check for stability out of all your pistols!
Don't bother checking with the p22, it will keyhole without any can attached! :mrgreen:
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

The FRP shot was the major offender. I had oblong holes in 5" barrels

My 10/22 and CZ has minor off round holes It is worth testing ALL your hosts. I did this with the can dirty, and after bead blasting..

I am not the only one with this result.

If you get this crap return it and get the improved core .. I have NO idea why they do not just sell the Gen III now. It's SOoooooooo much better.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

57fairlane wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Depends who you ask, if they are coming from the factory not all aligned it lends me to believe that alignment isn't really necessary
I don't think keyholing is much of an issue when you have a giant heavy bullet like a .45.

In .22 however, it is important . . . I've seen plenty of k-baffles cause keyholing when all of the vents are lined up.
Wasn't referring to keyholing due to alignment issues but to suppression levels which is what AAC says it is so vital.

Most K's that we see are all lined, especially the Gen2 Pilot cores!

-B
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

kaotic504 wrote:
Bendersquint, I have a TiRant45 with the serial number in the 400 range, do you believe jailbreaking it is something i can accomplish myself? I'm not trying to take away from your business ( i still want to send my Evo-9 and Pilot to you ), just wondering if it's worth the effort to try to jailbreak it versus the risk.

thanks!
Personally, the risk versus reward is not there. Mess up your can you are stuck with it and we won't touch a failed jailbreak attempt.

Entirely up to you and how much you have invested in your suppressor. If you were an SOT I would say go for it because you didn't wait all the months for its transfer and you got it alot cheaper than a non-licensee, kill it and it can be replaced.

-B
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Bendersquint wrote:Wasn't referring to keyholing due to alignment issues but to suppression levels which is what AAC says it is so vital.
Ah.
Bendersquint wrote:Most K's that we see are all lined, especially the Gen2 Pilot cores!
Really? Will have to check that out . . . I know the element will keyhole if you line all the vents up, which is why they come 180* from the previous one.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

57fairlane wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Wasn't referring to keyholing due to alignment issues but to suppression levels which is what AAC says it is so vital.
Ah.
Bendersquint wrote:Most K's that we see are all lined, especially the Gen2 Pilot cores!
Really? Will have to check that out . . . I know the element will keyhole if you line all the vents up, which is why they come 180* from the previous one.
Yeah the Element is alternating, but haven't seen any keyholing from aligned baffles. Pilots Gen1 are kinda aligned(thrown in kinda close for alignment) and Gen2's are snap togethers that are aligned in a row. I think Outbacks are 180 off of each other and Tac65's are aligned from the factory.

It gets me all the manufacturers that say alignment is absolutely key to performance and thats one of the reasons why they recommend against jailbreaking. But in all reality when we get inside a very small percentage of suppressors had the time taken to align their baffles. No manufacturer is immune to this!

-B
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

My element doesnt keyhole with the baffles aligned up. Atleast not on any of my hosts, ive tried them both ways and honestly cant tell a difference in suppression in my ears. Maybe if I could shoot it side by side I could but I only have one element and it takes awhile to re arrange the baffles. lol
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

JohnInNH wrote:

Check for stability and keyholing with pistols at 15 and 30 feet. The FRP may cause the bullets to keyhole... If you silencer DOES it.. AAV will give you the far superior core the Gen II for free.

I have had the Gen I the Gen II and now the Gen III. The Gen III is FAR better. for many reasons besides no keyholing, longer time between cleanings (less buildup, easier core cleaning, and no noticeable dB difference.

AAC says .5 dB louder, but I bet after 50-75 rounds in each the Gen III will be the same.. I also felt the FRP was less.

Note the area above the mouse holes is gone.. Giving the baffles more internal room... helping to reduce crap above the mouse holes.. you now mostly get buildup on the sides, not the top, bottom, and the sides.

so they are not stepping the interior of the tube anymore 8)
NP
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

Bendersquint wrote:

There is no O-ring cut on that endcap, they ALL look like that sealed or not-sealed, its just the thread relief.

The tube isn't machined any different than a sealed TiRant either.

Sorry to disappoint.

Nice closeup video though, what kind of cam are you using?

-B
The oring from the manual did not fit. I just got it in the mail today. Guess that explains why...
I was using my camera phone off an HTC desire. Works pretty good if you get the distance just right.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

delta9mda wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:

so they are not stepping the interior of the tube anymore 8)
It is still stepped. Hard to see in my pic. It uses the same tube. Look closely and you can see the taper, and the steps under the dirt.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

delta9mda wrote:so they are not stepping the interior of the tube anymore 8)
Like John said, it's still stepped. That is one of the bet ninja features of the Prodigy!
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

JasonM wrote:
delta9mda wrote:so they are not stepping the interior of the tube anymore 8)
Like John said, it's still stepped. That is one of the bet ninja features of the Prodigy!
If you send in a gen II for an upgrade you get the same tube back.. NATURALLY ;)

The stepped tube is a VERY nice feature. it helps to separate the 2 once you make a 1/8 turn the core will pull away from the wall of the tube.

A few other cool things.. Cutting edge, and the new gen III has the hole in the front to use a cleaning rod to torque the core off a barrel if it gets "stuck" on the barrel,

By eliminating the mouse holes they could move the top and bottom closer to the tube adding internal volume. The new baffle shape cleans up a LOT easier. less sharp spots.. the curves match a bore brush better. I think FRP is less. It goes a lot longer before locking up now too. the elimination of the interrupted threads is a bonus as well. (in my opinion)

If you have Steves wrench you are all set. A super quiet VERY light and with the Gen III accurate silencer. I hope some day AAC only makes Gen III cores.

Having all three I am a real believer in the latest design.