My first Can .22LR, (image heavy)

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mattman0o0o

My first Can .22LR, (image heavy)

Post by mattman0o0o »

So after browsing the forms and talking to some for advice, I applied for a form 1, and asked for SWR permission to build an Omega baffle suppressor. I made this silencer in about 23hrs of labor, out of 304 stainless. The O.D. is 1" and its 6.5" long containing 6 baffles and a spring for the "blast baffle". This was the first time I ever used a lathe or mill and learned a lot along the way. Luckily I had a seasoned machinist who could come over and give me advice during his work. I numbered each baffle, because the shoulder on each baffle is tuned to perfectly match the inside base of the baffle above it. The baffles are black because they are ceramic coated, the same stuff that's put on exhaust headers. I wasn't sure if there would be any advantages from it, but I was hoping it would keep heat down and make it easier to clean. And since it only added .0001 per side I figured it couldn't hurt, and it looks cool to me. The tube and baffles are all coated in and out. Not surprisingly the opening to each baffle has started to peal away the coating which makes sense since all the gas and debris funnels through each one (see pictures). Otherwise this can has no first round pop, and on my 3.5" buckmark it sounds like a James Bond gun with hyper velocity ammo. On my Remington 597, you hear no crack but just a whistle as the round goes down range and a thunk from impact. I hope to get a video of it this coming weekend. When I get it I'll post a link. Thanks for looking.

.22 form 1 - http://youtu.be/grDBBcMjacI
.22 form 1 build thread - http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79544
mscott
Silent Operator

Re: My first Can .22LR, (image heavy)

Post by mscott »

Looks good. What does it weigh?
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Nice! :)

For a first try, that's downright professional. The only thing is that perhaps the finish could be better, but that doesn't really change your outstanding work there!

23 hours total is amazing for a first can of that level of quality out of 304. Period.

Questions - is it 304L or 304?

What's the total weight?

Was the ceramic a canned spray or one of the types to put through a paint gun?

Do you plan to re-coat them as needed after finding out how it helps the cleaning or do you plan to work with something like "the dip" cleaning recipe since it's stainless?

Again, let me say how outstanding that is for a first silencer. Thanks for sharing. :)

EDIT:
mattman0o0o wrote:This was the first time I ever used a lathe or mill and learned a lot along the way. Luckily I had a seasoned machinist who could come over and give me advice during his work.
Seasoned machinist or no, for a first time using machines this is OUTSTANDING. You ought to think about getting machines of your own! :)
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Well done. I'd say that is a perfect form 1. How does it sound?
LP
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

NIce job there! 8)

Why the spring instead of the spacer?
Trex
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trex »

first time using a lathe or milling machine! and you built an omega can, in stainless..... I bet you learnt a lot, looks good give yourself a big pat on the back. 8)
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

One hell of a nice build particulars please inquiring minds want to know.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
pmchenry

Post by pmchenry »

I envy the natural talent that must have taken for a first time build.
The Army was a really big mistake that I'm proud to have made.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Nice job!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

Well done.... :roll: .....we're waiting for video.
The myopic majority will be our republic's undoing.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

very nice work.....you may want to arrange your baffles a wee bit differently though. Try atlernating the scoops 180 off each other.....you may notice a change in the way it sounds. Again very nice work, congrats
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
Sergeant
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sergeant »

First can?!
Can't wait to see your 2nd one...
Good job,
Steve
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

"..This was the first time I ever used a lathe or mill and learned a lot along the way..." :shock:

Holy bat guano, Batman!!

Your natural talent and obvious patience are a marvel to behold.
You do deserve all the admiration that you are garnering.

Thank you for presenting.

Best!
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Very nice work. :D

For having little/no prior machining experience, you've done a great job!!
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
TeamAFX

Post by TeamAFX »

I have been on here a LONG time and have not posted yet. I just had to say that looks great. I would love to see the video.
mattman0o0o

Post by mattman0o0o »

As requested I've taken some video's, sadly they are at night, so the camera can't pick up a ton of light. Also they are on ranges that are enclosed in berms, which makes this thing quite a bit louder than a flat field, however, most of the noise on the pistol video is from the rounds impacting the backstop. These videos are all shooting Federal bulk box ammo. Also I'll try and answer everyones questions, hopefully I don't miss anyone.
Shift1 wrote:very nice work.....you may want to arrange your baffles a wee bit differently though. Try atlernating the scoops 180 off each other.....you may notice a change in the way it sounds. Again very nice work, congrats
I have been running them in alternating 180 degrees, I did try it with them all on the same side and it does make a difference. The pictures just show them all lined up on the same side for some reason, I guess I had a brain failure when taking the pics.
Capt. Link. wrote:One hell of a nice build particulars please inquiring minds want to know.
What kinda particulars do you want? its 1"od, .049" walls, bore is 9/32 (I was leary on my abilities), i should have gone 17/64. I'd be willing to send particulars, just remember its a patented item.
SRM wrote:NIce job there! 8) Why the spring instead of the spacer?
Why? I dunno, I was trying to get the most volume out of the blast chamber. In my head my reasoning was that if I made the spacer out of a 5/8" tube with some holes in it that it would funnel the gases too well straight into the bore of the tube. I suppose I could always destroy the spring and make a tube spacer and drill holes and see what happens. I think that would be ok by ATF rules, if not someone correct me. Spring seems to be working though, open to suggestions on that.
PTK wrote:Nice! :)

For a first try, that's downright professional. The only thing is that perhaps the finish could be better, but that doesn't really change your outstanding work there! I did leave the finish kinda rough, I realized that after I was all done, I was just too excited to get finished, I suppose in retrospect it would have been easy to turn the tool slightly or put a bigger radius on the tip, but oh well, it works, their hidden in a tube, and the sandblasting prior to ceramic coating smoothed them out some.

23 hours total is amazing for a first can of that level of quality out of 304. Period.

Questions - is it 304L or 304? 304L tube, 304 plain bar I think (whatever online metals sells).

What's the total weight? 9.3oz says my wifes food scale thing

Was the ceramic a canned spray or one of the types to put through a paint gun? Through a little detail spray gun

Do you plan to re-coat them as needed after finding out how it helps the cleaning or do you plan to work with something like "the dip" cleaning recipe since it's stainless? I haven't decided, but I don't think I will, I got the first coating for free through someone I know who wanted to see what it would do, as of yet, it doesn't seem to make lead stick any less. I dipped them just last night for 12hrs, and it ate all the lead off and the ceramic is still there. Per my contact he claims it bonds at the molecular level to the metal and even if it rubs off its still in the "pores" if you will... Is he pulling my chain? I dunno, it was free and only added .0001 per side.

Again, let me say how outstanding that is for a first silencer. Thanks for sharing. :)

EDIT:
mattman0o0o wrote:This was the first time I ever used a lathe or mill and learned a lot along the way. Luckily I had a seasoned machinist who could come over and give me advice during his work.
Seasoned machinist or no, for a first time using machines this is OUTSTANDING. You ought to think about getting machines of your own! :)
I wish, I seem to always blow my money on new dirtbikes or quads somehow instead, and just mooch off my friends lathes / mills when they let me (usually for beers)...

Now for the videos, one of these days (maybe next friday I'll make it to the range), I'll try and get some day light videos on the big open range. I always forget my video camera, but my class 3 dealer friend and I put this on his .22 mini Uzi, and it ran several hundered full auto rounds through with only a few jams at around 800rds a minute.

http://youtu.be/grDBBcMjacI (friends pistol)
http://youtu.be/3HxcP3YDfO4 (larger bermed area)
http://youtu.be/1Q7DqxUqstM (smaller bermed area)
http://youtu.be/TxwvoZpHWmU (my pistol)

Thanks again for all the comments, if you have any questions let me know. I know I'm going to be asking questions soon about a .308 cone baffle can.
.22 form 1 - http://youtu.be/grDBBcMjacI
.22 form 1 build thread - http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79544