Wire coil baffle?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

pmchenry

Wire coil baffle?

Post by pmchenry »

I'm just wondering if this has been tried? Seems to me that it would have a similar functional shape to a step cone, only be loads easier to manufacture. Machinery for turning heavy steel wire is cheaper and easier to use than a lathe/mill setup. Hell, I'm no machinist and even I have used such equipment in previous manufacturing jobs I've had. Think something along the lines of the following product, only without the hook and to the proper dimensions required for a baffle of course:

The Army was a really big mistake that I'm proud to have made.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Wire coil baffle?

Post by Capt. Link. »

If you spread the coil shaped cone out you may in-cress the turbulence between turns and the skeletal cone may still strip gas from the gas stream like a solid cone.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Wallygator

Post by Wallygator »

What would happen if you put them back to back then also. Small side to small side, then large side to large side? Kind of like this:

I'm the quiet neighbor!
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

I think it has very good potential for us underpriviliged few who don't have lathes. :D

I'm wondering what would happen if you put the baffles in what would normally be considered backwards:

=====[>>>>>>>]

So the large diameter end of the spring is closest to the barrel, so that the spring can be pushed forward a little bit by the blast, helping to absorb some of its energy.

Perhaps I could even do a "Made in Montana" special without having to go through the ATF. :D (But first, I should probably check into how the guinea pig cases are faring so far...)
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Blaubart wrote:Perhaps I could even do a "Made in Montana" special without having to go through the ATF. :D (But first, I should probably check into how the guinea pig cases are faring so far...)
Probably not as good when you post to a public forum :mrgreen:

I like the idea a lot . . . seems like a good way to do baffles on the cheap!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Blaubart wrote:I think it has very good potential for us underpriviliged few who don't have lathes. :D

I'm wondering what would happen if you put the baffles in what would normally be considered backwards:

=====[>>>>>>>]
It actually speeds the gases through the can and make its not effective at all.

Check this out it will explain why you won't be slowing down the gases but speeding them up.

Its the De Laval Nozzle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Laval_nozzle

-B
pmchenry

Post by pmchenry »

So is the general consensus that this structure should hold up under the stresses inside a suppressor? The yield strength for cold rolled SS wire should be the same as for SS tube of the same thickness, I think... if that assumption is correct then structural integrity would be the only question mark in the equation.

Are there any engineers who can weigh in on this? I think it might be a good idea but I'm in over my head when we start talking about structural strengths.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Bendersquint wrote:It actually speeds the gases through the can and make its not effective at all.
That does make sense...

I still think it's an interesting idea, but I suppose it would be more effective to stack them normally.

=====[<<<<<<<]
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

pmchenry wrote:So is the general consensus that this structure should hold up under the stresses inside a suppressor? The yield strength for cold rolled SS wire should be the same as for SS tube of the same thickness, I think... if that assumption is correct then structural integrity would be the only question mark in the equation.

Are there any engineers who can weigh in on this? I think it might be a good idea but I'm in over my head when we start talking about structural strengths.

Not an engineer but I can tell you we have played alot with springs in the past and they DO NOT work well for suppressor internals.

-B
pmchenry

Post by pmchenry »

Bendersquint wrote: Not an engineer but I can tell you we have played alot with springs in the past and they DO NOT work well for suppressor internals.
-B
I'm not looking for a spring, just a coil. I understand that complete rigidity would be impossible, but the purpose of this part would not be elasticity for reflexive purposes. It would simply be to mimic a rigid baffle while being easier to manufacture. Spacing between coils could be played with, but for proof of concept my first try would be with the coils wrapped right on top of each other at an angle that creates a 60 degree cone.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

pmchenry wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: Not an engineer but I can tell you we have played alot with springs in the past and they DO NOT work well for suppressor internals.
-B
I'm not looking for a spring, just a coil. I understand that complete rigidity would be impossible, but the purpose of this part would not be elasticity for reflexive purposes. It would simply be to mimic a rigid baffle while being easier to manufacture. Spacing between coils could be played with, but for proof of concept my first try would be with the coils wrapped right on top of each other at an angle that creates a 60 degree cone.
You need solid or for the most part solid chambers in a suppressor for it to be effective, too many gaps and places for the gas to get set free with that type design, there is a reason why the old cork screw baffle isn't produced anymore.

-B
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I will chime in here, if I may, and say that while it may not be the best option for baffles themselves, I do believe that it might be useful in the blast chamber. This is being tested in some hypothesis we are developing and testing as a result of the FRP thread.

I hope to present the results of these reaserches within one or two months. I have designed and caused to be built two new suppressors which, if everything goes according to plan, will represent a revolution. Or be expensive paperweights if I fail :) .
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
travelingman
Silent Operator

Post by travelingman »

"Made in Montana" will work for suppressors like the "Medical Marijuana" status works for providers of "legal" marijuana. When ATF decides its time you will be squashed.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

travelingman wrote:When ATF decides its time you will be squashed.
True. Or, like medical marijuana, they'll just decide to yank it, and then you're on your own.
MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

I was looking at differnt already manufactured items to see about the possibility of usingthem as baffels and came across these...

its a 45 rpm spindle adapter... I have never actually seen one but they are kind of expensive ... any one else have any other ideas of common items that could be used?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

MG_Willy wrote:I was looking at differnt already manufactured items to see about the possibility of usingthem as baffels and came across these...

its a 45 rpm spindle adapter... I have never actually seen one but they are kind of expensive ... any one else have any other ideas of common items that could be used?
You may not get many answers to this as you have seen the recent ruling on Chore Boy Kitchen Scrubbers, not many people will want to add to the INTENT list.

-B
MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

this is true... even these would require machining... They are solid....

Thanks

MG W
Bendersquint wrote:
MG_Willy wrote:I was looking at differnt already manufactured items to see about the possibility of usingthem as baffels and came across these...

You may not get many answers to this as you have seen the recent ruling on Chore Boy Kitchen Scrubbers, not many people will want to add to the INTENT list.

-B