Liberty mystic+ruger 77/357 = 300 black killer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Re: Liberty mystic+ruger 77/357 = 300 black killer

Post by jlwilliams »

daviscustom wrote:This looks interesting...I have an H&R Ultra in .357max that I have been trying to decide what to do with. It sounds like firecrackers in a pipe when I shoot 38 spec. through it....and the 9mm can I've been considering for my next build would be perfect for it!

John beat me to the crimp recommendation that looks like a good reason for a round not to chamber easily
I just piucked up a box of 38s (Maine Cartridge Co- remanufactered ammo. cheap stuff) they are 147gr plated wadcutters. Basic target rounds. Shot through a 16" Handi with a Trinity can they were silly quiet.

I'm going to load more similar stuff.
igpoobah
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Liberty mystic+ruger 357/77 = 300 black killer

Post by igpoobah »

82nd airborne wrote:
Here comes an outrageous thread jack, I appologize in advance, my bad!
My father who is my best friend and the most morally upstanding man I have ever met, owns a sawmill. I started working for him at said sawmill at 10 years old. Every friday we would go to the gunshop 3 miles down the road. Every time that $3 an hour added up to enough, I would by a gun that I had been daydreaming about at the mill, instead of working like I should. (I was a lousy helper, but dadgum, a sawmill is a good place to instill a work ethic!) Anyway, my dad being the great man that he is/was, he had a weakness.
That weakness was anything marked .357 magnum. If it was a carbine, the phening would get even worse, and the temptation was too much. Dont even get me started on what would happen if it was a T/C Contender! The addiction was terrible. The .357's piled up. His addiction grew worse, and we had to start going twice a week. Now, being an avid caster, there was no better caliber than the .357, so then he had to buy every .357 mould ever made, mainly old lyman's.
Do you know what its like to have a father with a horrible addiction? What kind of life is a child supposed to have with a father that is dependent on a steady diet of little ultra light carbines? Now look what has become of me, its all his fault, and I have no hope.
The .357 will always mean more to me than the BLK, or any other caliber for that matter, other than the .250 savage. Only because my first centerfire rifle was a .250 that he made for me out of a 96 sweede, with a georgeous walnut stock he made for it from scratch. He gave it to me when I was 9 and I killed my first deer with it that same year. He topped it with a weaver k4 and made it really light, man I love it. Its all banged up now, but I woulndt sell it for any amount of money.
Ahh the .250 savage.........

Wow, that got out of hand fast, sorry about that.
The mould in question is a large truncated cone we found at a garage sale, no Idea of manufacture.
The barrel is one I made out of a Montana blank. Cast bullets will shoot insanely well out of a rediculously smooth barrel, which I have never ever seen from one of the big manufacturers. I am of the wild opinion that only a very very smooth handlapped bore is worthy of the .357, which means making my own barrel.
If I came off as hating on the .357 in my original post, shame on me! Ill slap my momma in the mouth.

If anyone is wondering "Why is he over here making his old man guns when Ive been waiting my barrel for ever? Aaron is slower than Christmas!" (That part is true, I am slow, and generally never make a lead time that I quote)
Here is the scoop. Almost every barrel of the 1000+ we have sold, has been chambered on a manual lathe by my Dad. He generally refuses payment. I just now figured out why. He knows that I know he will tear up a check. He also knows that I wont let someone work for me and go unpaid, because he raised me that way. So, my only option is to give him a plethera of guns. Now, mom cant gripe at him because technically he didnt spend any money on it, it was a gift!
Great read.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

If only Ruger had made a 99/357 like my 99/44! I can't even fathom chopping my Deerfield up but it would be cool suppressed.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

82Airborne:

" ..My father who is my best friend and the most morally upstanding man.."

A most wonderful compliment to your Dad on this day of giving thanks to
our parents, here or not, and to every one who has served or is serving our
Country.

To this day I hold the same admiration and love for a similarly honorable and moral father.
It never goes away.

Hope and pray I deserve my son's feeling the same way.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my brethren on this site.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Thankyou sir! He is a pretty good fellow!
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

MJF1911 wrote:If only Ruger had made a 99/357 like my 99/44! I can't even fathom chopping my Deerfield up but it would be cool suppressed.
Might be a tad noisy due to being semi-auto. COuld be cool, but that would have to be a stout can for .44mag pressure - no .45ACP cans.......
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

DustyJacket wrote:
MJF1911 wrote:If only Ruger had made a 99/357 like my 99/44! I can't even fathom chopping my Deerfield up but it would be cool suppressed.
Might be a tad noisy due to being semi-auto. COuld be cool, but that would have to be a stout can for .44mag pressure - no .45ACP cans.......

I'll bet you could use a Bowers CAC45.
DorikinGTSt
Silent But Deadly

Post by DorikinGTSt »

cool story BRO

where's the video of all this?
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

DorikinGTSt wrote:cool story BRO

where's the video of all this?
Bro-down?
atrfod

Post by atrfod »

I have loaded those 230 Penn's for Pins out of a .357 revolver.I loaded 7.2grs of Blue Dot,in .38 cases,which is what the Old Timers shot at Second Chance.I believe they went like 900 fps out of my 4" 28 and maybe 950 out of the 6" 586.I've got the paperwork out on my Thompson ISIS that will probably get parked on a .357 Handi.-Mike
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

jlwilliams wrote:
DustyJacket wrote:

I'll bet you could use a Bowers CAC45.

The Bowers site says some people are using it on a .45/70...

I have to admit I like the idea, but I don't want to chop this gun up. Ruger didn't make many of them.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

They worked! 6 round average of 946 fps with a decent ES and SD. They were quite, I figure less dB's than my G19 with tirant. I'll up the charge to 4.7 or 5.0gr and see were that puts me, shooting for 1050fps. I didn't have a chance to shoot for accuracy; I only loaded up 15 rounds. I couldn't help myself and shot several into the mud around the edge of the tank, very satisfying SPLAT!

As a side note. rimrock 180 fp/gc will do an average of 1608fps out of my rifle backed by 15.0gr H110. They are hell on the pigs. This one right at 100 yards.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Nice! I use a lot of Rimrock bullets for USPSA competition shooting. I've tried a lot of bullets and their 200 grain RNFP .45 is the most accurate in my 1911. Sub 1" at 10 yards offhand.
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

I like buying cans for multiple hosts, but that is one gun I would love to have integrated. I am thinking about it. I also like having consolidation of ammo varieties. Only thing holding me back is lack of NFA trust documentation (which is due to lack of time, but I hope to get it done first half of 2012).

It is on the very very short list. I love it.
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

Shot a bunch this past weekend.
5.0 gr of W231 in federal 357 mag case behind 240gr penn thunderheads gives a 5 shot average of 1027fps.

5.0 gr of w231 in federal 357 mag case behind 200gr penn gas checked bullets gives a 5 shot average of 1057fps.

Accuracy of the 240s wasn't very good. I'll play around with it more this coming weekend but its not looking good. To bad because the terminals are outstanding, see pic. The 200gr bullets seemed better, like I said more to come after the weekend. Just scratching the surface here though, there are a ton of bullets left to try. I'm looking for 2moa or less if I can get it.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

231 is my powder of choice fro the subs. SWEET ain't it. I love those things. it's a 230 gr bullet FYI (typo I'm sure) 210 GC bullets work well too. 6.2 unique under a 210 GC is a sweet Subsonic load in MAG brass.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

No I'm sure its 240. They have 239 listed on the box they sent them in and I've weighed them on my scale and they are 239-240! I just realized this is different from the website offering, how can that be?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

peytont wrote:No I'm sure its 240. They have 239 listed on the box they sent them in and I've weighed them on my scale and they are 239-240! I just realized this is different from the website offering, how can that be?
All 4 of my boxes are marked 38/230 Their web page says 230 gr...

They do weigh 235.5gr W/O wax. We are both right!

http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38230tndrhd.html <link
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

whats your accuracy been like with them? I'll do some offical grouping this weekend but just playing around I could tell I was getting some flyers.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

peytont wrote:whats your accuracy been like with them? I'll do some offical grouping this weekend but just playing around I could tell I was getting some flyers.
I think they are vary accurate in my maximum. I do not think it is the bullet, granted a void could cause that for sure.. weigh a bunch
jrkotz

Post by jrkotz »

Hey guys. Just caught up on this thread. I'd noticed it when it got started, when doing research for my Mystic purchase. The paperwork is in! And now to wait...

Wanted to say thanks to peytont and John for keeping up on this one, very interesting to me.

I was planning a 338 Federal fast twist (for subsonic) Savage rifle build, but buying a $600 Ruger 77/357, threading and loading sounds wicked appealing. Plus I could use the same loads in my 686!

Do the 230 gr loads cycle from the mag?

I'm wondering what the difference in terminal performance on game would be between the .38 - 230 gr Thunderhead vs. the .338 - 300 gr SMK (Spectre or federal) would yield?

I assume the cast bullit would end up expanding more, but the length of the 300 tumbling.. I'm not sure what would be better for deer/pigs other thin skinned game.

Obviously, the 338 would the better choice for long distance, but for medium, I'm not sure :?

You guys have experience with this, thoughts? (host thinking while waiting for my CAN!!)
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

You can have your cake and eat it too. Why not look into the 358 Gremlin? BFG sells a 1:12 twist barrel for the Savage. This will shoot 300 grain bullets and maybe even 350 grain bullets surpassing the 338 Specter. Then later get the AR upper in the Gremlin to go with it. It will kick ass with 180 gr supers, and i bet you can get a heavy bullet to cycle that is subsonic.

I probably should have gone this way to start with like i was going to before i got my micro7. It seems to be cursed!
jrkotz

Post by jrkotz »

I'm happy with the host I have in the AR platform - 30 whisper "short"
It will do the 208 A-Max at 1050.

I was thinking a bolt action hunting rifle that can push the practical limits of the can for hunting performance. With the 338 Federal fast twist - ZERO brass prep, and 300 SMK, Super huge BC (0.768) for long range opportunities.

I'm not the biggest brass prep guy (can you tell??)

What is the 350 gr bullit you speak of for the gremlin? Would it work in a fast twist 357 max, 350 Rem.. (something with less brass work lol)

Hope I'm not thread jacking.. Thanks!
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

I have a 6.5 grendel necked up to .358 with a lengthened throat to accomodate longer bullets for subsonic use. I also have a sizer die reamer for the same. If you get a gunsmith that I know and trust, Ill let you borrow it. it is a pretty cool round. You can also make the brass from x39, even steel case in a pinch, though I woulnd do it regularly, I just wanted to see if it worked.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

82nd airborne wrote:I have a 6.5 grendel necked up to .358 with a lengthened throat to accomodate longer bullets for subsonic use. I also have a sizer die reamer for the same. If you get a gunsmith that I know and trust, Ill let you borrow it. it is a pretty cool round. You can also make the brass from x39, even steel case in a pinch, though I woulnd do it regularly, I just wanted to see if it worked.
Aaron,

Please give me a call! Need to speak with you ASAP!

Thanks!