What kind of unique silencer would you like to see?

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

PTK
Silent But Deadly

What kind of unique silencer would you like to see?

Post by PTK »

I'm staying the hell away from ALL the stores today, so I figured I'd do some designing. After a couple hours working on one problem, my eyes are crossing so I'm taking a break.

Here's my question... what is a unique silencer you'd like to see? Try to suggest stuff that's not commercially available in this country. :wink:

Right now I'm thinking of drawing up plans for a few different Finnish designs, mostly reflex stuff. I don't know about anyone else but I have seen VERY few two-point attachment silencers. I figure a reflex silencer is perfect for it, one point screwing to the muzzle threads, one point simply snug against the barrel.

I also really dig the PBS 1 look, so I'm thinking of making a modern one with stepped cones and spacers, although I want to keep the wipe. If this is what I make, I'll probably end up making different end caps, one with the wipe in the original position and one with a wipe at both ends.

So, does anyone have suggestions? I'm open to making about anything except super lightweight cans, since it'll most likely get used during FA fire.

Once I find and design just what I want, I'll be making it and posting finished pictures here. If it's a take-apart design I'll post pics assembled and laid out, otherwise I'll take pictures of the parts.

Also, I'll have to shoot some video and demo it, as well. Mainly though, I'm interested in knowing what you guys are interested in seeing.

EDIT: To clarify, we're not setting up for commercial production of silencers. I'm truly wanting to tinker with more than one thing and whatever I make will be 100% disclosed - design, material, steps to construction, etc. I really want to see some interesting and uncommon designs being more commonly used in the USA, and this seems to be a great way to come up with something a bunch of people would love to see and more importantly, that a bunch of people would love to file F1s on and build themselves! :D
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: What kind of unique silencer would you like to see?

Post by Capt. Link. »

PTK wrote:I'm staying the hell away from ALL the stores today, so I figured I'd do some designing. After a couple hours working on one problem, my eyes are crossing so I'm taking a break.

Here's my question... what is a unique silencer you'd like to see? Try to suggest stuff that's not commercially available in this country. :wink:

Right now I'm thinking of drawing up plans for a few different Finnish designs, mostly reflex stuff. I don't know about anyone else but I have seen VERY few two-point attachment silencers. I figure a reflex silencer is perfect for it, one point screwing to the muzzle threads, one point simply snug against the barrel.

I also really dig the PBS 1 look, so I'm thinking of making a modern one with stepped cones and spacers, although I want to keep the wipe. If this is what I make, I'll probably end up making different end caps, one with the wipe in the original position and one with a wipe at both ends.

So, does anyone have suggestions? I'm open to making about anything except super lightweight cans, since it'll most likely get used during FA fire.

Once I find and design just what I want, I'll be making it and posting finished pictures here. If it's a take-apart design I'll post pics assembled and laid out, otherwise I'll take pictures of the parts.

Also, I'll have to shoot some video and demo it, as well. Mainly though, I'm interested in knowing what you guys are interested in seeing.

EDIT: To clarify, we're not setting up for commercial production of silencers. I'm truly wanting to tinker with more than one thing and whatever I make will be 100% disclosed - design, material, steps to construction, etc. I really want to see some interesting and uncommon designs being more commonly used in the USA, and this seems to be a great way to come up with something a bunch of people would love to see and more importantly, that a bunch of people would love to file F1s on and build themselves! :D
As a Smith I have done much work with tensioned barrels I know of at least a few that use that as part of the suppressor design is that the sort of input you wish?
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

I built an eccentric .22 silencer awhile back . . . similar to osprey and had .5-.75db FRP. :mrgreen:

Only problem is it looks kind of dumb on a ruger/buckmark as it needs a "tactical" type frame to pull it off but now that the m&p22 is out . . .
Wallygator

Post by Wallygator »

What about making the suppressor slide in and out on the barrel so that you can tune the resonance for better accuracy, then have some way to fix it in the best accuracy position?

If the collar were to slide in and out of the combustion chamber it could also maybe help with first round pop.
I'm the quiet neighbor!
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Integrals with two points of mounts are quite popular in Europe and not that easy to design them OK. Here you have some types I usually design for Europe and some also for USA Customers:

(All of them have two points of mount but just one of trust)

1) Muzzle thread (trust) and “snug against the Barrel”: You need a bushing to seal the rear side.
2) Muzzle pointed and barrel threaded in the rear side (trust): You have to machine the Barrel to thread in the middle so you need a thick Barrel to work it out.
3) Welded MonoCore and Loosen Nut in the rear side of the Barrel (trust): You have to machine the rear side of the barrel to “insert” the loosen nut.

4) There is a variant of number 3 with 2 points of pseudo-trust. I use it for Integrally Suppressed Barrels (10 inches Barrels going beyond 16 with the welded MonoCore).

Number 1 is the most popular. Number 2 in really the best for Baffles and number 3 and 4 are the best in terms of sound suppression. I work with number 3 and 4 for several USA shops and mainly for 300 Whisper and BalckOut.

Finally, what I see is an increasing demand on Integrally Suppressed Barrel. Try one of those. They are tricky but the result is really beautifull.

My 2 cents, you know.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Design a Black Box with low FRP and I'll either sing or recite poetry at your wedding (I suggest poetry!).
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

:lol:
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Mike your a nut !!!! love it
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
HotGuns
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotGuns »

How about something electronic with an efficient noise cancellation system in a package that is only one inche long and one inch in diameter.

Of course, it would have to have a battery life of several hundred rounds.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

:lol:

Well, this received far less even halfway serious answers than I thought it would. I'll just make something I haven't seen on here in a while and post photos.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

HotGuns wrote:How about something electronic with an efficient noise cancellation system in a package that is only one inche long and one inch in diameter.

Of course, it would have to have a battery life of several hundred rounds.
I've been working for years on this idea. I won't say it can't be done, but I'll say that it's far-removed from my ability.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION