suppressed Kel-Tec Sub 2000? Anyone fired one?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bp_968
Silent But Deadly

suppressed Kel-Tec Sub 2000? Anyone fired one?

Post by bp_968 »

Just wondering how fesable an idea it is. It looks like it could be a fun cheap little rifle.

bp
reservoirdog
Senior Silent Operator

Post by reservoirdog »

How bout the SU16C, It works perfect!!!

Suputin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin »

I saw these neat little modern subguns at SHOT. They'd be ultra easy to suppress cause the barrel screws off with a nut like an Uzi. They have models in 9mm and .45 that use subgun mags but apparently they are working on models that use pistol mags. Prices seemed very reasonable.

http://www.featherusa.com/index.html
lugetron

Re: suppressed Kel-Tec Sub 2000? Anyone fired one?

Post by lugetron »

Yes,
It is awesome.
329 for the gun and 60 for barrel threading from YHM
I want to buy the 40 cal and do it to that one as well.
TAC-16 Sold pending transfer
TAC-65
YHM-Cobra 9mm
YHM-Cobra 9mm M2
YHM- 7.62 Phantom
YHM- SS 5.56
Silencerco 22Sparrow
SBR 11.5"
reservoirdog
Senior Silent Operator

Post by reservoirdog »

Ok, finally got one suppressed. Very cool!! Using a triple X can. Fiocchi 9mm 158 subs. There is some xtra noise in tge action that can be reduced by adding a buffer to the rear of tge recoil spring/guide.
Arguing ones hearing is second only to arguing ones taste
lugetron

Post by lugetron »

Here is the Kel-tec 9mm with YHM suppressor in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUE91SSrOlw
TAC-16 Sold pending transfer
TAC-65
YHM-Cobra 9mm
YHM-Cobra 9mm M2
YHM- 7.62 Phantom
YHM- SS 5.56
Silencerco 22Sparrow
SBR 11.5"
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

video of my silenced kel-tec sub2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ87nsuyNpY

EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

I am very interested in doing this to mine. I had heard the barrel was too thin to get a good shoulder for the end of the thread? Im guessing this isnt true, seeing these threaded?? I have a local gunsmith that im going to call next week and see what he says. I dont care about losing that front sight since i plan on getting the quad rail for it.

I got an evo 9 that im currently waiting on.
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

Just an update on my experience. I talked to the local gunsmith and to sum up what he said, "3x normal price, its hard to do, not enough shoulder for suppressor" ... I have given up, my form1 for an SBR AR in 9mm went out over a week ago now...
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

EEdave86 wrote: I am very interested in doing this to mine. I had heard the barrel was too thin to get a good shoulder for the end of the thread? Im guessing this isnt true, seeing these threaded?? I have a local gunsmith that im going to call next week and see what he says. I dont care about losing that front sight since i plan on getting the quad rail for it....

Just an update on my experience. I talked to the local gunsmith and to sum up what he said, "3x normal price, its hard to do, not enough shoulder for suppressor" ... I have given up, my form1 for an SBR AR in 9mm went out over a week ago now...
3x the normal price - I think that tells the tale right there - "I don't want to do it" is what that means - shop rate machining - and I don't know if you know that in Europe some of the spec's are that the can indexes on the muzzle not any shoulder on the back of barrel threading...

I like the looks of this weapon and later on may make one up - I think in 40 cal - lots of others have done so - Oh, and I have a barrel on a 22 that wasn't fat enough - it was threaded long and a thread protector was put on to make a shoulder - just an FYI

might want to look for a more talented gunsmith
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

Shipped my stripped barrel to ADCO today :D My dream is coming true!
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

Looks like ADCO cant do these either. I am trying out YHM next. I sent them a message tonight.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

I have integral suppressed barrel thoughts for the Kel Tec
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

YHM does not thread keltecs anymore...
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

How about making it a sbr? That way you could thread a thicker section of the barrel.
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

Finally got mine threaded and put back together. I had usmachinegun.com do the threading for me. They were very prompt and did a custom spacer for me. I requested they thread all the way to the first shoulder and asked for a knurled spacer to index the silencer(still waiting on the cans...). I got the barrel back and was very pleased with the results. Less than $100 for just the threading, but the adapter and shipping put my total at $140. Also cut down the grips to fit the glock 19 mags while i had everything apart.

This thing is the worst gun i have ever put back together...

I cold blued the knurled spacer in the next pic

aklikessuppressors

Post by aklikessuppressors »

Great post EEdave86,

I've been thinking about a solution like this for a while now but wasnt sure who could do it and how it would turn out. I realy like your setup. Did you have any options regarding the thickness of your spacer? It seems to be quite a bit thicker than the barrel and I would perfer one thats a bit closer in size to the existing barrel.

Thanks for posting. I'm going to be contacting usmachinegun.com very soon.
AWC ODYSSEY II • AAC ECO-9 • DTA NANO
aklikessuppressors

I've been wanting to get my Kel Tec Sub2000 threaded for some time now but havent seen a solution that I was satisfied with until I saw the above post from EEdave86. I wanted a way to get rid of the ugly barrel step down that is revieled once the front sight post comes off and I wanted a better shoulder for my suppressor to sit on. In comes http://www.usmachinegun.com/ with the perfict solution! Here is the description from their website of the work they preformed:

"If you want to get rid of the plastic front sight and add a muzzle brake to your Kel Tec rifle then this is your solution! You send us the complete upper with the barrel intact and we will remove the upper, cut off the front sight, thread it in 1/2x28 to fit any AR-15 type muzzle brake or compensator. We will also create a knurled, threaded spacer to cover the long, existing threads behind the front threaded section for your compensator. Keeping the barrel length will maintain its' compliance. You pay return shipping of $15-20. depending on weight, insurance and destination. Please call for specifics." http://usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=BT-KTE

My new threaded barrel and adaptor have been compleated and are on there way to me now. I'll try to post some final pictures with the thread adaptor blued and supperssor in place. I can't say enough about Michael over at http://www.usmachinegun.com/. He's very friendly and was really interested in my project from the get go. He called/emaild me several time througout the process with updates and sent me the below pictures as soon as my barrel/adaptor was complete. I look forward to workiong with him again and would highly recomend him to anyone here for any kind of custom machine work you need done.

osogrande

Post by osogrande »

Ever since I purchased the Sub2000 several years ago, I saw it as a great suppressed folding SBR. However I quickly found that the front sight was going to be the problem. Of course we've all found that to be the case. However after searching the web and every forum I could find on and off over the last few years, I've finally put together exactly what I envisioned from the get-go. I hope my proof of concept helps out some others as well.

Breakdown is:
Keltec Glock 17 magazine Sub2000 - I cut the grip down to accept Glock 19mags
Red Lion forend - the missing piece to my putting an optic to replace the front sight
Red Lion rail - I cut down the rail and machined a second screw hole to sturdy it up
Aimpoint R1 - I'll get around to painting it black eventually. Too good a deal to pass up over a T1
Gemtech Trinity - The newer Multimount is too large a diameter to fit under the Red Lion forend

I wanted a Sub2000 that would fold as far as it did from the factory, but had a "permanently" mounted suppressor on a cut down barrel and had a red dot sight that didn't have to be removed in order to fold it.

The barrel has been cut down to 6.5 inches and the over all length is roughly 25 inches fully extended. The rubber thing on the end in the 5th photo is a silicon hot pad that I've used with success on other suppressors to cut down on the heat transmitted to my hands.

The other rifle in the 5th photo is my 9mm Olympic Arms K9GL that also takes Glock mags and also has a 6.5inch barrel for some comparison.

SC-Texas
Silent But Deadly

Post by SC-Texas »

This came out real nice.
http://www.TexasGunTrust.com

http://www.Houstonattorney.org

http://www.Atomiclabrat.com

Family and Criminal Law services in Houston, TX
aklikessuppressors

Finally got by threaded barrel back in my Sub2000 and blued the thread adaptor. I think the everything turned out real nice and I'm very happy with the end result.

Can should be approved any day now. I'll post pictures of the complete setup asap.

ImageImageImage
Tugnut
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tugnut »

Which has louder action noise: the Kel-Tec or a 9mm AR15?
Micah 6:8
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

Guys, as a fellow S2K owner I REALLY like the looks of the work that USMachinegun performed on your guns.

However, my desires run a little different and I would like to retain the ability to utilize a front iron sight, namely the excellent Blue Force Gear BTFP sight I currently use. I guess I need to contact them with my desires. :wink: