Walther p38 ready for a can

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

soundless

Walther p38 ready for a can

Post by soundless »

Hello!

I recently received a war era p38 from a friend. The gun needs blueing and some trigger work. Also a couple of new grips. I made up my mind to make it a silencer host. It crossed my mind to also shorten the barrel enough to keep normal ammo subsonic. If the slide will let me shorten it enough. So my question is: How much will I need to cut the barrel to keep normal ammo at subsonic speed.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Walther p38 ready for a can

Post by Historian »

soundless wrote:Hello!

I recently received a war era p38 from a friend. The gun needs blueing and some trigger work. Also a couple of new grips. I made up my mind to make it a silencer host. It crossed my mind to also shorten the barrel enough to keep normal ammo subsonic. If the slide will let me shorten it enough. So my question is: How much will I need to cut the barrel to keep normal ammo at subsonic speed.
DO NOT TOUCH IT!!!!!!! It would be as painful to those who cherish the piece
as if you decided to take an Aston Martin DB5 and add 1959 Cadillac fins, take out the
engine and put a Chevy Volt electric engine to keep Al Gore happy, and put California hydraulics
on the wheels so that you can jump up and down at the lights. I hope this extreme analog
conveys our apprehension.

Said a simpler way: "Leave the F*****G Gun alone!" :)

It is a WW II historically important piece.

If you want to add a can onto it (not sure why ) have made a slip-on adapter that
slides past the front sight and has split rings to keep it tight. Then you will have
saved the P-38 and yet can add a can.

Hope you make the correct choice.
unclecarmine99
Silent Operator

Post by unclecarmine99 »

GO, SOLOMON,GO

Ali Baba,
" A wise man surrounds himself with wiser women" ( a bartender in the southern part of Saigon 1968)
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

If you want to get a modern, spare barrel to shorten, go for it. But leave all of the original stuff alone.

Please.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

soundless wrote:Hello!

If this gun has Nazi proof marks and the #sn match, do not touch it.The general rule is if its a gun without marks or made up from mismatched parts or is in general very poor condition less than 60% finish then its okay to refinish it.In short take it to a competent gunsmith first.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Many ,if not all P38 barrels are two part

they have a thin barrel liner brased in

so be careful if you DO thread the barrel
chose a thread size that do the less harm (the biggest diameter )

get a spare barrel made out of one piece
pmchenry

Post by pmchenry »

Why would you want that old dilapidated thing? Just throw it out and go get a P99.
The Army was a really big mistake that I'm proud to have made.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

pmchenry wrote:Why would you want that old dilapidated thing? Just throw it out and go get a P99.
True. I'll trade you for a nice, brand new P226.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

pmchenry wrote:Why would you want that old dilapidated thing? Just throw it out and go get a P99.
Ok i know it might be a joke

but if not
the P99 has a tilting barrel
the P38 does not
its still a locked design , but can take a heavier can without a booster than a tilting barrel design
you can make a can that goes back over the barrel making a shorter gun/can combo

Coolness factor :lol:
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Well, if it's not valuable I don't see the problem, but getting another barrel is never a bad idea. Don't know if you can get reliable operation from standard ammo though, and certainly not without a boosted can. Factory loads can be so much so it's hard to say how short you'll need to get the barrel, but I'm guessing 3", perhaps shorter. This will reduce the impulse noticeably, and adding mass to the moving part won't do you any good either. Me, I'd go for 147's and a telescopic silencer just for the hell of it.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

"Don't know if you can get reliable operation from standard ammo though,
and certainly not without a boosted can. ".

Standard 9mm did function on the one I had.

Back in Luger collecting days I was given a few unopened boxes of 'hot'
WW II 9mm that were intended for the Schmeisser MP-40. Told by armorer
not to use on Luger as it would damage toggle assembly.
MP-40 was designed in 1938.
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Historian wrote:Standard 9mm did function on the one I had.
With a shortened barrel and a silencer? If so, I stand corrected.
pmchenry

Post by pmchenry »

wolf wrote: Ok i know it might be a joke
It was most certainly a joke.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

The P-38 is a fine candidate for a integral as others have noted.
Does anyone know if a braised in barrel liner was a standard military rebuild /refit procedure or just a attempt to salvage a barrel post war!

Op how about some pictures we are a virtual group------I have a true love of old well made weapons.

EYE CANDY

ImageImageImage
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

Capt. Link. wrote:The P-38 is a fine candidate for a integral as others have noted.
Does anyone know if a braised in barrel liner was a standard military rebuild /refit procedure or just a attempt to salvage a barrel post war!

Op how about some pictures we are a virtual group------I have a true love of old well made weapons.

EYE CANDY

ImageImageImage
I'm guessing relined to salvage a worn out or otherwise damaged barrel, MG34 looks nice. Looks like a P1 in the bottom frame
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
pmchenry

Post by pmchenry »

Capt. Link. wrote:Image
It always amazes me how you can still see the German MG's influence in even the newest light/medium machine guns. The aesthetic characteristics of the MG34 immediately remind me of the 240B we use today. They were some evil bastards to be sure, but the Nazi's sure knew how to design a weapon system...
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

About the liners in the P38, the ones i have seen where originals , no refitting

you have to look at the breach end , if its one that is blued you can see the difference in color
maybe even a ring around the chamber

i think it was for easy production

rifling such a od shaped part using a cutting rifler , would be a stink

mass produced liners would make sens

And reading this , and from memory , i dont think i am far of :wink:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/clas ... -long.html

That forum i think would be a good place to ask (i am not a member )

a Colt government (1911) also used brased barrels
here it was the rear part including the locking lugs that was brased on
watcher
Senior Silent Operator

Post by watcher »

Tornado Tech did my P1 threads - needed some sort of adapter thimble but Mike took care of it.

You will need a boosted can with restricted boost or the recoil on the gun is murder. On my Gemtech Tundra I had to put a 0.1 inch washer under the spring to reduce the boost action. Too light a spring and the gun suffers under the delayed recoil, too heavy a spring and the gun fails to feed.
Deavis

Post by Deavis »

I kinda want one too. I found a hacked up one at Cabellas with a 2.8" barrel I was thinking of buying. I didn't know why I actually wanted one until I googled suppressed p38 and got this back:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Wild_Geese,_Thed

Saw the movie as a teen and it must have stuck.
matquig

Post by matquig »

My Man from U.N.C.L.E. project. P1 with a WWII solid barrel, threaded 1/2x28tpi, with a somewhat rare AAC Scorpion can. Image
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

[quote="soundless"][/quote]

Google search will help as well, there are some fine photo's online

No need to go that far for intel.

(hope they do not mind using this, if they do let me know I'll take it down)

Friend of mine has an original silencer but not the gun, I got some and will change the barrel for him to be like in the image.

Gunny
Last edited by gunny50 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silence-Dogood

Post by Silence-Dogood »

Resurrecting this thread...

I found a butchered WWII P38 barrel that I had cut, crowned, and threaded to ~3" for use with a Blackside-40 on a P1 host. The Walther consistently stove-piped when using a Gemtech fixed mount. But it functions reliably when using the Gemtech LID along with 147 gr. rounds. (FWIW, I did not monkey at all with the factory Walther spring weights.)

I have read on the interwebs that using a can with Nielsen device on a fixed-barrel pistol could potentially damage the gun. Any truth to this on a P1/P38? It sounds like others here have successfully used recoil boosters on their fixed-barrel P1/P38s. Thanks.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

Silence-Dogood wrote:Resurrecting this thread...

I found a butchered WWII P38 barrel that I had cut, crowned, and threaded to ~3" for use with a Blackside-40 on a P1 host. The Walther consistently stove-piped when using a Gemtech fixed mount. But it functions reliably when using the Gemtech LID along with 147 gr. rounds. (FWIW, I did not monkey at all with the factory Walther spring weights.)

I have read on the interwebs that using a can with Nielsen device on a fixed-barrel pistol could potentially damage the gun. Any truth to this on a P1/P38? It sounds like others here have successfully used recoil boosters on their fixed-barrel P1/P38s. Thanks.
Found th following online, came from Walther Forum.
A guy in Germany made these.

Gunny
XLmoby

Post by XLmoby »

Looks like a pistol made by Mr. Joniskeit from Allmersbach in Germany.
gunny50
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunny50 »

XLmoby wrote:Looks like a pistol made by Mr. Joniskeit from Allmersbach in Germany.
Might be, but keep in mind Mr. Joniskeit also makes silencers and than it would be strange that the image shows the B&T silencer.

Gunny