Tactical Innovations Stratus

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Cnacki

Tactical Innovations Stratus

Post by Cnacki »

Anyone know the difference between the Stratus and the TAC 65, or the difference between the Stratus and the Quest?
kogashuko
Silent But Deadly

Post by kogashuko »

Looks from the pic more like a tac 67.
Griz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Griz »

As far as I know, the Stratus is basically an aluminum Quest.

Stratus, Quest and Diamond all have stepped K baffles while the TAC65 and TAC67 baffles are regular K baffles.
incognito
Silent Operator

Post by incognito »

What makes the Diamond full auto rated and a Quest moderate monitored full auto use?

I'm getting ready to buy a Quest so I'm interested to know the difference.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

the stratus is a al quest can. the diamond is supposed to be the end all be all of ,22 FA rated cans. it is designed for 100% FA use. the quest is designed for FA use just not back to back am180 mag dumps. for shooting on a FA1022, m1622, uzi22 the quest is great. I have played with the quest, <i have not seen a diamond yet. sorry about the typing erros i am in germanz and some of the letters are move around on the keybored
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

On the German keyboards, swap the "y" and the "z" ;)
incognito
Silent Operator

Post by incognito »

Got more info on the Diamond today if people are interested.

The Diamond has thicker tube walls and OD is 1.25". Baffles are stepped k & blast. It is 5.75" long or 3/4 inch longer than the Quest and weighs in at 10.8oz. It is intended for hard full auto use. Use as an alternative for people using the TAC16 as a full auto .22 can.
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

incognito wrote:Got more info on the Diamond today if people are interested.

The Diamond has thicker tube walls and OD is 1.25". Baffles are stepped k & blast. It is 5.75" long or 3/4 inch longer than the Quest and weighs in at 10.8oz. It is intended for hard full auto use. Use as an alternative for people using the TAC16 as a full auto .22 can.
Might come as a shock coming from me, but that sounds like overkill.
07FFL 02 SOT
incognito
Silent Operator

Post by incognito »

1928A1 wrote:
Might come as a shock coming from me, but that sounds like overkill.
Maybe, but I'd rather have the 1.25"OD, 5.75" lgth, 10.8oz Diamond than a 25oz, 7.65" lgth, 1.625" OD TAC16 hanging off the end of my 10/22.

I think they basically wanted to make a hard core F/A can. I ended up buying a Quest because I don't have an MG so the Diamond would be way overkill for me.
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

The Diamond has a completely different look as well. It's completely finned to dissipate heat. If you email Craig, he can send you a PDF file that has a picture and a chart that compares all of his models. Looks like the 52 has been discontinued.
Last edited by rill on Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If it is for heat dissipation, then it would be great to see it added to his Tac-16 also.
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

rsilvers wrote:If it is for heat dissipation, then it would be great to see it added to his Tac-16 also.
That would most likely need a thicker wall on the tube to be able to fin or flute it. Neat idea though.
incognito
Silent Operator

Post by incognito »

rill wrote:The Diamond has a completely different look as well. It's completely finned to dissipate heat. If you email Craig, he can send you a PDF file that has a picture and a chart that compares all of his models. Looks like the 52 has been discontinued.
Yeah, I have the link which he e-mailed to me. The .pdf is stored on their website but I was unsure if I should post it or not since he sent it to me through e-mail. It is the brochure they gave out at Shot so I guess it's for public consumption.
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

The diamond is very art deco looking... sort of like the first part of a Thompson MG barrel. I think I would stick whith a Quest... certainly for pistol use.

I think the Diamond in some variation will replace the TAC16.
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

Anyone have any more info on the Stratus. Still nothing on the web site, I've got one on the way mainly for my pistols. But would like to use it with my Ceiner AR conv, is it feasible? Thanks.
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

The Stratus is a super light all aluminium version of the stainless Quest. It does have the "stepped k baffles" (same as Quest) as opposed to the std. k baffles of the TAC65.
The Stratus is not rated for full auto fire.

Only the Quest,TAC16, and the new Diamond are rated for full auto fire.
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

No offense to anyone, but full auto is a rich mans toy anyway. Mine are semi, just wondering about suppression differences between rifle and pistol. Thanks.
supp-22

Post by supp-22 »

What is the difference in the 2 baffles discussed in this post?

Is the "stepped k" the latest generation?

Which one is quieter?
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

The difference is merely grooves cut into the cone portion of the k baffles on the Stratus and QUEST, as opposed to smooth baffles on the TAC65. I guess the idea was to create a little more turbulence in the gas flow. They apparently get the same sound reduction in a can that is 1" shorter. In addition, the Quest is 100% stainless, so it is quite a bit heavier.

Go here and you can see pitures of the baffles.

www.tacticalinc.com
supp-22

Post by supp-22 »

Thanks rill

Do you know anything about baffles being made in different materials?

I thought I read some are a lot easier to clean, depending on material
rill
Silent But Deadly

Post by rill »

Most companies use alum. Stainless is naturally harder and would therefore be stonger, but also heavier. There has been alot of discussion on cleaning baffles, but one of the regular guys here has a good site that shows it in detail.

www.silencerresearch.com
jerrytofdallas
Elite Member

Post by jerrytofdallas »

coyote223 wrote:No offense to anyone, but full auto is a rich mans toy anyway. Mine are semi, just wondering about suppression differences between rifle and pistol. Thanks.
No offense taken, but rich mans game, only if your just getting into it now or in past 10-15 years. 30-40 years ago when I bought all my F/A toys, they were very reasonable. $200 for 45ACP MAC-10 including Sionics, $400 for AM180 with 2 barrels, six mags and 2 winders etc, etc. Feeding the beasts is what's getting expensive today, especially Ma Deuce :shock:
tReznr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tReznr »

rill wrote:The Diamond has a completely different look as well. It's completely finned to dissipate heat. If you email Craig, he can send you a PDF file that has a picture and a chart that compares all of his models. Looks like the 52 has been discontinued.
Any idea why this is?
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

-Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

the stratus replaced the 52. It is a quieter smaller can.