9.3x62 subsonic issue

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

icebug

9.3x62 subsonic issue

Post by icebug »

Hi there!
I managed to push 320 grains Woodleigh RN with 22 grains of Trail Boss and get 1035-1065 fps.
The issue I have is the first round which is much slower (around 300 fps) than the following ones. I read somewhere that it's a common thing with long barrels, mine is 22".

I'm thinking of using some kind of lube, Lee Liquid Alox or Lyman Super Moly, does any of you guys have any experience how to deal with this issue?

Any suggestion and help would be highly appreciated!

d.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Re: 9.3x62 subsonic issue

Post by eastern_hunter »

Oh my! First time I've run into someone trying to keep 9,3x62 to subsonic velocities!

I load a 290 gr cast bullet lubed with Carnauba Red at 1500 fps w AA5744 and get little difference in velocity between first and subsequent shots as long as the barrel has been shot some. That rifle only has 160 rnds on it (I have two 9,3x62 rifles).

Have not tried to go slower than that.

Very curious ... is your intent to suppress the rifle? What kind of can are you going to use?
icebug

Post by icebug »

Where can I get those cast bullets that you use?
What about lead buildup in your suppressor?

My rifle is brand new, I've put not even 20 rounds through it.
A buddy of mine made a titanium suppressor for me and it works pretty good when I go subsonic. I'm a bit afraid to push full speed rounds through it though.
My intention is suppressed wild boar hunting.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I cast my own ... in wheel weights using the 366-260-GCDD NEI mould and Carnuaba Red lube.

I've used the 9,3x62 with the 286 gr Nosler Partition for hunting. I drive it with RL-15 and get 2425 fps in 24" barrels. Have taken deer, piggies, Impala, Warthog, Bush Pig, Reedbuck, Wildebeast, and Kudu with the chambering. Is very, very effective while having very moderate recoil.

I do not have a can for the 9,3. Might be a thing likely to be found in Africa but not in the US.
icebug

Post by icebug »

Did you try to run them through bullet stability calculator if they'd be stabilized at 1050 fps?

For wild boar driven hunts I use Barnes TTSX 250gn pushed by N150 to avg. speed of 2420 fps. from 22" barrel.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Don;t have access to a stability calculator and hadn't intended to run them that slow.

Where are you located? Europe?

250 gr TTSX should be able to go faster than that ... limited by bbl length? 9,3x62 does better w longer bbls. Isn't necessary though. Losing another 100 to 150 fps would put it in the energy range of the 9,3x74R ... still very effective. (I do like my little Chapuis DR!)
icebug

Post by icebug »

eastern_hunter wrote:Don;t have access to a stability calculator and hadn't intended to run them that slow.

Where are you located? Europe?

250 gr TTSX should be able to go faster than that ... limited by bbl length? 9,3x62 does better w longer bbls. Isn't necessary though. Losing another 100 to 150 fps would put it in the energy range of the 9,3x74R ... still very effective. (I do like my little Chapuis DR!)
What is the exact length of your .366 cast bullets?
Yes, I'm in Europe.

I believe TTSX could go faster than that, but as you said, I'm a bit limited by my barrel length.