What's out there for 45acp carbines to suppress

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

What's out there for 45acp carbines to suppress

Post by jlwilliams »

I'm kinda daydreaming about a 45acp host lately. I know, 300 BLK makes pistol cal rifles kind of obsolete, but humor a guy with a big old 45 subgun can.

There isn't much new lately. The Marlins haven't been made in about forever. There are 45 AR uppers. There are the HiPoints at the bottom of the price heap and the Mec Tecs. Anybody who has suppressed either of those, feel free to chime in with your experiences there. This year something called a JR Carbine (JR standing for 'just right') which looks ARish and takes Glock mags.

Still no semi auto grease guns available, damnit.

What's out there? Who's had good results with what?

Just throwing this on the table for any and all discussion.
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Re: What's out there for 45acp carbines to suppress

Post by morris »

While I haven't done it myself a hkusc45 comes to mind as a good carbine for a suppressor at least I will try it at some point
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

Kriss Super V, HK USC, and Beretta CX4 come to mind
Don't be an internet tough guy...
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
nbrown2500

Post by nbrown2500 »

45 cal. Semi Uzi. I have one and run an SRT can on it. I love it. I still have the 9mm parts also so I can shoot both 45 and 9mm.
Richard/SIA
Silent But Deadly

Planning to try out a Thureon Defense carbine.

Post by Richard/SIA »

Planning to try out a Thureon Defense carbine.

It might be nice to do some work on a gun less than fifty years old, at least once in a while. :D

I also have an idea to lock the bolt forward to stop action noise, I like fixed breech suppression.
I still need to get one in hand to verify my plans.

Looking forward to the new year, when folk will be back to filling orders in a timely manner.
At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
Richard/SIA
Silent But Deadly

Just sorted out an MGI Military conversion & Pro-Mag UZI mag

Post by Richard/SIA »

.Just sorted out an MGI Military conversion & Pro-Mag UZI mags.

MGI has a relatively inexpensive .45 blow-back conversion bolt and barrel.
It is intended for use with their somewhat expensive (back-ordered in .45) modular lower.

This is a nicer conversion than the Olympic version as it does not require the installation of their funky ejector into the upper.
The upper can remain completely stock, no mods required beyond putting on a .45 MGI barrel.
Other .45 barrels MAY work, an Olympic will not.

A gas deflector and short dust cover are nice if you are not changing caliber often.

Of course the big hassle with .45 AR conversions has been the magazine.
Several companies make dedicated lowers, using Grease Gun or Glock magazines.
So far as I know the MGI bolt and upper should work fine with them.

I have now confirmed that it is very possible to use Pro-Mag .45 UZI magazines in an unmodified AR lower.
I used a common 9mm Colt adapter, MGI bolt and barrel.

The Colt mag adapter needs only a very little modification, which does not prevent it still being used in 9mm.
Last shot hold-open is lost, but can be restored for 9mm.

The Pro-Mag UZI .45 mags tend to be a somewhat tight fit, but that is easily corrected.

The biggest issue I ran into was that the bolt was reluctant to close fully on a loaded round. :(
I traced this down to the MGI bolt's extractor not having enough clearance to ride over the cartridge rim.
Since extractors are much less expensive than MGI bolts I chose to modify the extractor, I can modify the bolt later if the extractor turns out to be weakened.
I ground down the back side of the extractor with a curve until it had enough movement to snap over the cartridge rim properly.
As installed the square edges were bottoming out in the extractor hole, the extractor appears to be a standard 1911 part with a relief ground in the outside edge, or a very close clone.

Now that this is sorted my next step is threading the barrel for my FIDO .45 suppressor. :D
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

I used to have a Camp 45, and kicked around the idea of getting it threaded and throwing the CAC-45 on it. But it would have made a somewhat unwieldy rifle. This was just a mock-up for the picture. To really do it right, I would have had to SBR the rifle. And if I'm going to that effort, I might as well have had an integral can done on it.

Since I've finally blown a fin on my Reising, I keep kicking around the idea of replacing the muzzle brake with one of those heavy-duty (but externally looks the same) brakes, but just keep it in place with a set screw. I could then remove the brake and have a mount for the CAC-45 made and run it on that. Which I really should do, as I don't even have a .45 caliber host for my .45 subgun can any more.

Hmmm. I may have to throw the can on the end just to see how overly-long that one's going to be.

So far, it's still just on my "to do some day" list.

eta: As you can see, the Reising without any can is still longer than a suppressed Uzi. It looks like it's still going to be somewhat cumbersome. Between that and having obscured sights, I see this one as a non-starter. And no, I'm not drilling my receiver for scope mounts. :x

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Reisings are really neat guns. I almost got one a few years back when I was subgun shopping. They are one of a very few delayed blowback actions on that type of gun. I wouldn't drill it for a scope either. It's a C&R transferable, why get into hacking it up? Still, one would think that back when they were plentiful and 'just another gun' they would have been a natural candidate for a silenced commando type weapon. I have Ianimmoco's book and a few others that reference the Reising and have never seen any real historical evidence of a "Reising-SD". I've seen a couple with screw on cans (pictires anyway) but nothing like a counterpart to the silenced Grease Gun. I know they had their issues, but it seems like someone, somewhere would have built a purpose built shorty/silenced fold up Reising for Korea or the Cold War.
sha-ul
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sha-ul »

fwiw, there is a guy at the savage shooters forum that built a 45acp on a savage action, although his was only a single shot. the 45 uses the same bolt face as a 308(iirc) and something like that might make a real nice suppressed platform. I don't know if you could modify one of the magnum actions with the blade type ejector, but is that was possible, you could in theory at least make a repeater.
Ray Barnes
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ray Barnes »

AWC Centurion
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

I have a few AR 45 builds and building two more.
The integral suppressed is a blast to shoot as it grabs many looks at the range and its very quiet.
I like the dedicated grease gun mag lowers and have had other mag conversions that work in a
standard lower.
CNC dedicated gg mag lowers
standard lower with a uzi 45 mag
I made many modified grease gun mags that worked in a standard lower before the dedicated lowers
became available.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Your integral AR looks fantastic. Nice gun.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
Richard/SIA
Silent But Deadly

This Enfield .45-SC Tactical will be shipping a couple of da

Post by Richard/SIA »

This Enfield .45-SC Tactical will be shipping in a couple of days.

I tried a new baffle spacing arrangement, I think it is better than before.
Customer may arrange them to his own preference if he likes. :)

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Wow. That ain't your granpa's Enfield. No sir.
DorikinGTSt
Silent But Deadly

Post by DorikinGTSt »

How can i get one with a 16" threaded barrel?!?
Richard/SIA
Silent But Deadly

Post by Richard/SIA »

PM answered.
n.franklin
Senior Silent Operator

Post by n.franklin »

morris wrote:While I haven't done it myself a hkusc45 comes to mind as a good carbine for a suppressor at least I will try it at some point
IMO, a USC/UMP conversion is the only way to go with a .45 carbine. I wish I had never sold mine, it lost its appeal in a non-nfa state, now that Ive moved Im looking for another one to SBR and suppress.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

AR-15 is loud in 45 auto. Its also loud in 9mm. You can hear a noticeable difference between a beretta storm in 9mm and an ar-15. Beretta is much more quiet. If you're looking for most quiet, an ar-15 is not he best choice.

I have also heard a marlin camp in 45 auto, it's very loud also. I'm sorry that I can't comment on the beretta storm in 45, but if its anything like the 9mm when suppressed, it'll be a great choice?
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Sorry for the half-ass answer; I have a CX4 Storm in 9mm (not 45), and it is pleasant to shoot audio wise, but it seems to have have a lot of crap come out of the receiver. I don't know if this is simply because it is a blow-back design, or if it is a blow-back design exacerbated by the increase back pressure of a silencer. I also don't know if it has anything to do with my current 9mm brand 147 JHP WWB.

But it is pleasant. Is it quieter than an AR? I do not know, because I'ver never been around a 9mm/45 AR.