Good powder for 147 gr 9mm subs??

Be careful -- low-volume ratio loads can detonate. Mangement not responsible for load data. Use at your own risk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Good powder for 147 gr 9mm subs??

Post by eastern_hunter »

Guys,

Have loaded very, very many 9x19, 9x21 and 38 Super rounds over the years. But never focused on building subsonic stuff.

Will be looking to build subsonic pistol and carbine ammo. Have 147 gr XTPs, 147 gr Winchester FMJBTs, and cast 147 gr RNs. Will be fired through a user serviceable can (when the Form 4 clears).

Anyone care to share their powder preferences and the reasons for them?

Thank you!
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Re: Good powder for 147 gr 9mm subs??

Post by Abiqua »

VihtaVuori N320. My favorite, extremely clean and quiet, but expensive and can be hard to find.

Titegroup. Cheaper and easier to find in stock.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

I'm currently loading 4.5 grains of Alliant Power Pistol under a 147 grain HP Zero bullet.

This load averages about 1050 fps from my nine inch three-lug. AR-15 and about 950 fps from my glock 17. Both weapons use an SWR Trident.

I've had trouble finding a faster pistol powder for 9mm that would develop1050 fps in my carbine rifle. It may not be the most quiet powder choice, but I like it for my purpose and its pleny quiet.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

My go to 9mm sub-sonic load is.....Berry's 147gr with 3.5gr of Bullseye.
Functions in my handguns (beretta & glock) and sub's (HK, uzi, colt)
I use to load the Win 147 trun-cone and had a few feeding problems.
I've never had that problem with the Berry RN.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

My 9mm sub load:

Montana Gold 147gr CMJ'S
3.3gr's of TiteGroup
Mixed brass
Win SPP's
OAL of 1.135

It is 100% in my P226 and Glock 17 unsuppressed or suppressed with my Osprey 9mm.
r
Silent Operator

Post by r »

4.1--4.2 grain of unique or 3.4--3.5 grains of bullseye under any 147 FMJ have been standard loads for many many reloaders for 20 years or better, for macs/uzis/mp-5/stens on FA with various cans. lots still use bullseye cause 3-1/2 grain per bullet makes an 8lb keg seem endless. get a dillon 650/ an 8lb keg of bullseye/2-3K berrys plated or zero 147 FMJ and knock yourself out.
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

Post by starlingstalker »

r wrote:4.1--4.2 grain of unique or 3.4--3.5 grains of bullseye under any 147 FMJ have been standard loads for many many reloaders for 20 years or better, for macs/uzis/mp-5/stens on FA with various cans. lots still use bullseye cause 3-1/2 grain per bullet makes an 8lb keg seem endless. get a dillon 650/ an 8lb keg of bullseye/2-3K berrys plated or zero 147 FMJ and knock yourself out.
I've been loading Bullseye since the early 1980s when it was made by Hercules back then. I had one of the original Dillon RL 450s with original STEEL primer cups that was upgraded to plastic/nylon slip fingers after I whacked/detonated :shock: :oops: the primer magazine -NOT recommended :roll: . I will NOT lose my patientce if the slide return hangs EVER again. Plastic parts puleez. :oops:
My 29 year standard 45ACP load for my Sionics can and Powder Springs is the obligatory Bullseye at 4.5 grains with 230 super hard cast slugs. Since I don't have a 9mm can but several MGs, the Walther MPK and especially the MP 40 just love the 147 grain slugs and Bullseye. Their load was 3.5 grains. Candy, Candy Candy all day for them. :P
The nifty thing about the Bullseye is that the burn rate is fairly fast and the pressure curve is pretty sharp (limits quickly) that it increases the cyclic rate(bolt speed) but keeps the velocities manageable with my 45 load at about 775 fps. Really perks up the action of the MP40 and the Powder Springs cyclic rate is snappy super brisk. A near satisfactory performance for my low tech boolit squirter and clunker can. The 9mm velocity should be even higher with more pressure and lighter ala heavier sub slugs.
I concur that the Bullseye goes a long way since the 9mm 3.5 grain fills a whopping 2 cases per pound and my standard 45 at 4.5 grain loads over 1500 rounds per case. Twenty bucks a pound, meters consistently and clean burning for a quickie burn powder. Also, if You want more velocity, try Blue Dot but the recoil is a lot stiffer as the cyclic rate slows down. For me, Bullseye is my favorite but there may be others better to do.
I've had good luck then with the Dupont IMR powders now known as IMR powders- specifically it was Dupont SR 5726 I think back then. The old reloading manuals have old forgotten recipes and the powder amounts have tapered down over the years for increasing liability. My old Hornady manual is a favorite and Sierra the same. :) Been quite a while. SR equals small rifle. Like 4227. Comparable. But still Bullseye rules
Just been using Bullseye for an exceedingly long time and it ALWAYS works.
starlingstalker :D
Ban weapons, not firearms!
It may ONLY be a dollar but its STILL a Sux Tax!
Pssst, so let's change this infringing UNConstitutional Law!
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

I love VihtaVuori N310, but N320 and N340 will work as well. The last that I got was 8 pounds from Powder Valley. It is the most consistent powder I have ever used, perhaps because it meters so well in my Dillon 650. My SD for loads is always less than 10, much better than any other powder I use. This is with range pickup brass and no case preparation other than inspection for obvious flaws and cleaning.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I use N340....great stuff, clean and consistant.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Anyone try VV 3N37 ... have 5 pounds of that left from the IPSC days. Looks like 4.5 to 4.7 gr should be abt right.

4.5 gr does burn clean. Have not chrono'd them yet.

9mm loading will be done on a Dillon 1050.
igpoobah
Senior Silent Operator

Post by igpoobah »

Lame answer because I haven't tried anything else - but I use 4.5 gr of SR-4756 because it's what I had and needed to use it...but it works fine as far as I can tell, groups are tight and it's pretty quiet.
But having no point of reference I really don't know if I could be doing better or not. Ignorance is bliss I guess :mrgreen:
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

I use 3.6 grains of titegroup and 147 precision delta. Cycles all my handguns and m11/9 smg perfectly. Haven't shot it through a can cuz the ATF is taking forever.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

lafsnguy wrote:I use 3.6 grains of titegroup and 147 precision delta. Cycles all my handguns and m11/9 smg perfectly. Haven't shot it through a can cuz the ATF is taking forever.
I'm also running 3.6gr of Titegroup but with 147gr Xtreme plated RN. Runs and sounds good through my 45 Osprey on my HK P9S and my Uzi likes it too.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Solo1000. Fast burning, inexpensive, compares well to VV n320. 3.4 gr under a Berry's 158 gr is fine, but I usually use 147s with 3.4 to 3.8. depending on bullet & powder lot.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
jerry2003

Post by jerry2003 »

Does anyone use Winchester 231??
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

jerry2003 wrote:Does anyone use Winchester 231??
Funny you asked. I just got a pound of that given to me. I did a spread of 3.3 grains all the way to 4.0

3.3 grains cycles all my guns, and stays subsonic in my 16" ar.

Anything after 3.5 in the ar was trans sonic.

Guns tested were a beretta 92, mac11 F/A, and the ar.
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.