First can - looking for 9mm and 300 BLK

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

burns

First can - looking for 9mm and 300 BLK

Post by burns »

Hi Folks,

I want cans.
I am most interested in 300 BLK and 9mm. Do you have suggestions for a can that can be used for both with the appropriate adapters? What are the problems associated with using a 9mm can for a 300 BLK round? Should I go with a 7.62 can instead, so I can use it on a .308 some day in the future?

The 9mm is a G19. The 300 BLK upper will likely have a 14.5" barrel.

Regards,

Burns
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: First can - looking for 9mm and 300 BLK

Post by chrismartin »

I'd go Liberty Mystic for what you are asking for.

http://www.libertycans.net/mystic.html

It's rated for 300BLK, 9mm and a TON of other calibers _AND_ has the mounts available for what you want to do.
It's really the only "9mm" silencer that's rated for 300BLK. Most 9mm silencers are only good for slow fire subsonic use (think: bolt gun)
300BLK can get very hot on semi-auto from an AR15. Also, supersonic 300BLK in a typical 9mm silencer is a no-go.

However, a good 308 silencer is hard to beat and will probably be quieter with the 300BLK and later 308. However, you can at least get started with the Mystic and then get a good 308 silencer down the road.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

chrismartin wrote:I'd go Liberty Mystic for what you are asking for.

http://www.libertycans.net/mystic.html

It's rated for 300BLK, 9mm and a TON of other calibers _AND_ has the mounts available for what you want to do.
It's really the only "9mm" silencer that's rated for 300BLK. Most 9mm silencers are only good for slow fire subsonic use (think: bolt gun)
300BLK can get very hot on semi-auto from an AR15. Also, supersonic 300BLK in a typical 9mm silencer is a no-go.

However, a good 308 silencer is hard to beat and will probably be quieter with the 300BLK and later 308. However, you can at least get started with the Mystic and then get a good 308 silencer down the road.
+1
And if you get the Mystic if you don't already have a .22 host you will need one. And a bolt action or single shot .38/.357 host down the road! LOL sorry! :D
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

The Mystic is heavy and may not be the best for a PRIMARY 9 mm silencer for the G19. The TI version would be better, the "Infinity"

The Mystic is my favorite silencer. It is the quietest production 9mm silencer.

Dave asked me to, or I should say, said go ahead shoot a 357 MAX out of my Mystic to see what happens... if it blows up.. He said he will take care of it... Soooo

I thread my Mystic on my super 14 ... get a nice special loaded for the single shot 210 gr Lead FNGC over 21 grains of W296

I slide the torpedo into the launch tube.. Aim... (red lights and siren..ALL CLEAR three horn Blasts)

AND ...

CRACK!

Hummm just like any old supersonic load except this baby had some power i tell you what. Close to 1800 fps is my guess.

Now for the moment of truth .. Did Dave's new supported baffle design hold? Did the tube swell? Did the angel of death make camp in the blast chamber?

The core slid out a little easier ... Oh that's right I cleaned it before I put it together so I could inspect it and had lubed it for easy dissemble .Whew.. At first I was worried I stretched the TI tube. :shock:

Only thing that was noticeable was the black carbon buildup on the face of the blast baffle has an area the size of a dime w/o any black on it .. back to metal...

I don't know if I will shoot a steady diet of full power 357 MAXIMUMs through my Mystic .. But Dave now knows that if someone makes a mistake and shoots one by "mistake" the new baffle design holds and no damage will happen.

This is 4 grains MORE 296 than a 300 BLK load has with a 150 gr bullet. AND under a 210 gr bullet. Some SERIOUS horsepower.

The Mystic continues to impress me!
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

JohnInNH wrote:bla bla bla
John, good info as always, but maybe you could focus on paragraph form instead of every sentence being on it's own line? It makes your posts seem a little ramble-y, when they are not.... Just a thought that might improve readability.

That's nice your mystic didn't blow up. But I would never state that surviving one or even 10 rounds mean anything at all. I've seen an a couple range trips worth (300+ at least) of 223 being shot down a shitty form1 aluminum cone silencer. It did eventually fail, but it survived a lot longer than I would have expected. That doesn't mean it was strong. I bet if you would have bored it out it would have taken a bunch of 357, and then eventually failed all the same. Since Dave gave you the go ahead, fire through a hundred and let's see if the Mystic holds it. Otherwise, it's a nice anecdote, but shouldn't really impress anyone.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

este wrote: blah blah blah
To each his own. I like a little white(or grey in this case) space between thoughts. I think John's one of the more grounded members here and I value his opinion and find his posts worth reading.

You often raise valid points este, but in this case it's a matter of style. This isn't the seventh grade. We aren't typing a report for Mrs. Crabcooze here... :roll:

I think it's farkin' dandy that the mystic can hold up to that!

cheers
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

JohnInNH wrote:The Mystic is my favorite silencer. It is the quietest production 9mm silencer.
On a 9mm host or other caliber host?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

57fairlane wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:The Mystic is my favorite silencer. It is the quietest production 9mm silencer.
On a 9mm host or other caliber host?

On a G19 my favorite is my now take apart gen 2 Evo-9. TiRant is to big, Mystic to big and to heavy, (the quietest by far), making my little Evo my first pic for the small G19.

On my Sig p226 if i want ubber quiet the Mystic for sure, TiRant is good, but if space is limited and i don't want to pack a lot.. the Mystic.

Limited 223 from my AR, my single shot moster maximum, and my sig all can use the mystic.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Hey John was that Mystic core just for you or has it changed? I've done allot of .223 through mine as well and since its take apart I think we both can take a look at the core and mic it to see if any damage has been done..Though with the pattern of the core even it was off .002 you could tell something had changed..

You need to get your Glock checked..Mystic works perfectly on my M&P 9mm..Never thought once about the weight..Though when the infiniti arrives that will take its place on the M&P. Just so many other hosts the Mystic can be used for. Sorta like a rimfire can..Can't just have one..

Speaking of pressure..This should be proof enough..Here is a Mystic warrantee being voided by everyone’s favorite member here...223 on a 7 inch barrel..That’s about as much pressure as you could put on it unless you dig out a short barrel 308. He may rattle the forum but this is something I didn't mind coming across.. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBI8GylL2vU
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

My Mystic works fine on my G19. It's just big and heavy for the smaller pistol. It to me is more at home on a 226 size host. I even use the Mystic on my High Standard 22 pistol at times.

Re the new supported baffle design... I do not know if it is the current production or not. It's just what Dave sent me, and it works well :-) . My do everything silencer. 21 gr of 296 is big business.

Now the long wait for my micro7 to come back.