SWR Spectre Baffles after approx. 1600 rounds

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

gwendell
Silent But Deadly

SWR Spectre Baffles after approx. 1600 rounds

Post by gwendell »

Just opened up my Spectre after approx 1600 rounds of shooting and various different host of rifles and pistols. Couldnt believe the amount of crud.
" The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second "
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Re: SWR Spectre Baffles after approx. 1600 rounds

Post by Fireman1291 »

And some say cans don't need to be cleaned. :lol:
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

Fireman1291 wrote:And some say cans don't need to be cleaned. :lol:

I know, cant imagine having a 22 can that is sealed. It was acutally worse. A bunch of the crud actully feel on to the shop floor while I was pushing the baffle stack out !!!!!!!!
" The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second "
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

Collect it all and weigh it with a gram scale. It would be interesting to know how much lead that actually is.
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

Stout wrote:Collect it all and weigh it with a gram scale. It would be interesting to know how much lead that actually is.
Cool idea.....next cleaning I will do that 8)
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

Man, I'm surprised there was that much. Maybe just the different baffle designs but my Sparrow stack had far less crud after a similar amount of rounds. I mainly use the remington golden bullets and occasionally the remington subsonics. Either way, I agree with the take apart cans. No way i would ever buy a sealed rimfire can.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

thoppe wrote:Man, I'm surprised there was that much. Maybe just the different baffle designs but my Sparrow stack had far less crud after a similar amount of rounds. I mainly use the remington golden bullets and occasionally the remington subsonics. Either way, I agree with the take apart cans. No way i would ever buy a sealed rimfire can.
Buildup is dependent on the baffle stack design. Some collect it(Omega), some repel(Sparrow/Osprey).

-B
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

bender, have you noticed a difference in buildup in cans that were s--t wet vice dry.

It appears to me the OP's specter was shot wet.
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

ATCDoktor wrote:bender, have you noticed a difference in buildup in cans that were s--t wet vice dry.

I have yet to put any type of media in the specter....its always been dry :D
Heck the Spectre is so quite on the host I have ran it on....dont see how wetting the can would make it any better.
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

WOW! That's a lot of crud. I have always dipped the Spectre whole before pulling it apart. It never looked like it had that much junk in it. I'm kind of an abuser and shoot about 4 or 5 bricks before cleaning.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I'm impressed you could get it apart :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ATCDoktor wrote:bender, have you noticed a difference in buildup in cans that were s--t wet vice dry.

That Spectre was shot dry, there is a difference but not a huge one with a 22lr when shot wet vs dry.

Now centerfire pistol suppressors are another story, the second you shoot a pistol can wet its all over it will continue to collect gunk alot more rapidly than if it had never been shot wet. That one wetting unless shot many many many rounds to thoroughly dry it will be a magnet the next time you shoot it dry, because it is still moist and ready to collect gunk. This is why its so important to jailbreak it as soon as possible if you intend to put alot of rounds through it or want to shoot it wet.

-B
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

Bendersquint wrote:Buildup is dependent on the baffle stack design. Some collect it(Omega), some repel(Sparrow/Osprey).

-B
The thing I love about omegas is that they are easy to clean. The parallel-to-bore design allows you to clean the innards with a drill press.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

finn wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Buildup is dependent on the baffle stack design. Some collect it(Omega), some repel(Sparrow/Osprey).

-B
The thing I love about omegas is that they are easy to clean. The parallel-to-bore design allows you to clean the innards with a drill press.
Omegas collect ALOT of gunk, and the design makes it easy to clean!

-B
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

I'm talking ~5 seconds per baffle one you get the jig and press set up. Most the lead stays in the inner core, and a 13mm bit (don't quote me on this) will pull it right out. No dip. No wire brush.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Bendersquint wrote:
thoppe wrote:Man, I'm surprised there was that much. Maybe just the different baffle designs but my Sparrow stack had far less crud after a similar amount of rounds. I mainly use the remington golden bullets and occasionally the remington subsonics. Either way, I agree with the take apart cans. No way i would ever buy a sealed rimfire can.
Buildup is dependent on the baffle stack design. Some collect it(Omega), some repel(Sparrow/Osprey).

-B
And ammo type ,and barrel length ,and shoot wet or dry
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

chrismartin wrote:I'm impressed you could get it apart :)
I was suprised also Chris how easy it came apart. When I first got the Spectre, I dissasembled it to see what it it looked like in side. I spayed the baffles and inner tube with Hornady One Shot lube and let it dry. Applied Mecury 2-4-C with teflon to the threads on the caps. The caps came off with little effort and the baffle stack pushed rt. out. The crude on the out side pretty much just fell right off. The lead on the inside of the baffles was a different story :)
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Better in the can than in the gun/ mags. K Baffles clean easy in a sonic cleaner with no dust.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

I did that once.....never again. I had a hell of a time getting mine apart. I bet you had fun doing the same :) I make sure I clean mine around the 500 mark.
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

morpheus wrote:I did that once.....never again. I had a hell of a time getting mine apart. I bet you had fun doing the same :) I make sure I clean mine around the 500 mark.
Nah, actually the baffle stack just pushed right out. I was really suprised how easy it was to take apart, especially after reading on here how some people had to battle other brands. :) :)
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

Got them cleaned. Used a ultra-sonic cleaner and Mercury Power Tune. Luv the Spectre :D

strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I shot mine dry too but on a M-11/22 SMG with RGB or CCI MM. I'm surprised about getting the blast baffle out so easy. After 1000 rounds, my blast baffle is encased in lead in the mount. Both pushers SWR made do not work on the blast baffle as there is no ledge for it to push against. I would need to let the dip work on it for a day after 1500 rounds before I can get the blast baffle out of the mount.

Clean

500 rounds

1000 rounds

I don't know what 1500 rounds looks like as I'm not able to open it with out a night in the dip.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

strobro32 wrote:I shot mine dry too but on a M-11/22 SMG with RGB or CCI MM.
I wonder if the host u was running the Spectre on had any thing to do with soldered the the blast baffle to the the cap with lead. Mine was ran on bolt guns and a coule different pistols. Just a thought :)
Last edited by gwendell on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

gwendell wrote:Got them cleaned. Used a ultra-sonic cleaner and Mercury Power Tune. Luv the Spectre :D
Looks like the "Mercury Power Tune" is a spray...what did you use in the ultrasonic cleaner?
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

seattlite wrote:
gwendell wrote:Got them cleaned. Used a ultra-sonic cleaner and Mercury Power Tune. Luv the Spectre :D
Looks like the "Mercury Power Tune" is a spray...what did you use in the ultrasonic cleaner?
It can be purchased in gallon containers also :) We use it every day in the shop at work. I used the pwer tune in the ultrasonic cleaner.