Benelli Supernova or Rem 870 Tactical ?

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Benelli Supernova or Rem 870 Tactical ?

Post by YugoRPK »

Why don't you ask all the people who have ever been convicted of 922r violations how many US parts they had on their shotguns? Shouldn't take long.

You know. I wonder if this is why the SuperNova barrel didnt come threaded for a choke. I thought that odd.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

A lot of the tactical shotgun barrels do not come with removable chokes.

922r IS NOT the same as the assault rifle ban. The ATF decides what they consider suitable for sporting use and it can change (making it even harder to comply with the law).
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/impo ... ation.html
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Do they say anywhere at all what makes a gun into non-sporting? If not, there's no way to say that the supernova with the extended magazine and the collapsible stock is non-sporting.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/impo ... ation.html

Nonsporting Firearms
… such as handguns which do not meet the sporting purpose criteria on ATF F 5330.5 (Form 4590), any rifle or shotgun with a folding stock or folding bayonet, and shotguns having a fixed magazine with a capacity of more than 5 cartridges and certain military style semiautomatic rifles and shotguns.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Blagh. Gayness.

Thank you for that information. I couldn't find it somehow.
post tensioned
Silent But Deadly

Post by post tensioned »

Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

ATF just decided that the "5 round magazine" rule only applies to full autos and semi autos. Cool.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearm ... otguns.pdf
ATF wrote:A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device that delivers a round into the chamber
of the firearm during automatic or semiautomatic firing.37 A magazine is either integral (tube
magazine) to the firearm or is removable (box magazine). A drum magazine is a large circular
magazine that is generally detachable and is designed to hold a large amount of ammunition.
I was also thinking that since the Supernova has a 3.5" chamber, one with an extended magazine still only has a 5 round capacity (or 4?). You don't go and say that a 5 round magazine for an AR-15 can hold 100 rounds of .22LR. You call it a 5 round magazine because it holds 5 of the cartridges for that .223 chamber.
finn
Silent But Deadly

Post by finn »

The tac star extensions had a big problem with falling apart because they press fit tubing into the threaded collar. It looks like they fixed that. This is a tac star supernova +2 that appears to be monolithic construction.
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

benelli supernova is a way better shotgun by far i think. the 870 finish is about as cheap and cheesy as they come. but the 870 does have tons of aftermarket parts.