AAC Element vs Silencerco Sparrow

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

bwarner

AAC Element vs Silencerco Sparrow

Post by bwarner »

Torn between these two silencers.Suggestions ???????????????????Anyones experience with these two>
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC Element vs Silencerco Sparrow

Post by JasonM »

bwarner wrote:Torn between these two silencers.Suggestions ???????????????????Anyones experience with these two>
Both are excellent. Both have stainless internals for durability and ease of cleaning, both are quiet, both are backed by great companies.

If your main criteria is absolute quietest sound, minimal first round pop go ELEMENT.

If your criteria is ease of disassembly and cleaning, go with the Sparrow.

Again, neither will disappoint, they are 2 of the best 22 cans out there now. So, another way to choose is what your dealer has in stock, and what you can get a deal on.

And at this time of year, I have to give you the standard disclaimer of wait until SHOT next week to see what each manufacturer releases. Updates and or new models.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Should be torn between 4! :mrgreen:

The Sparrow is the easiest to take apart and no tools needed , is a slight hair shorter,can handle 5.7 round and costs less . It also quieter on rifles but has a (annoying to me) FRP on pistols. It can go a long time without the need cleaning.

I have to use the pusher tool when the Element gets dirty but I clean it at home anyways. It's lighter and very consistent can first shot to last, very quiet and hard to beat on pistols for it's size. (excluding Grande cans here)

Can't say for the Sparrow on this but the Element is very accurate with almost zero POI shift on the many host I use it for. This my favorite little pistol can.

If you can only have one and shoot rifles I would buy the Sparrow.

Also consider the Companies. AAC has now fired two good people (who cared) and is owned by a corp that only care about money. Silencerco/SWR seems to mostly care about their Silencers and has great service and seem to have the most fun doing so. :P (I like this in a company)

If you wanted even more choices, The new (2012) SWR Spectre Is looking really good (inside) at a good price. The Liberty TL is also an awesome can in your price range. Surefire still stumbling to get their 22 cans out so watch the shot show next week. :lol:

Probably 4 good budget cans to talk about too. Its a buyer market for 22 cans right now. :mrgreen:

Hope this helps, took me much time to write and correct! :lol:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Table Rock Arms
Silent Operator

Post by Table Rock Arms »

You can not go wrong with either one. I have both and they are great. The FRP is very noticeable on the Sparrow but I find that you don't even notice it if your just shooting and having a good time vs listening to your suppressor to see how quiet it is.

Ryan
Table Rock Arms
07 FFL 02 SOT
541-702-6216
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

I have both and if I had to give one away it would be the element. First reason the finish sucks (can easily be refinished but more money). Second reason is a little harder to disassemble and clean. Third is its a little ugly. It is quieter though but not really enough to care. Like said early if your just plinking you wont even notice the sound difference. If you are trying to hear it and firing both side by side then you can tell. I mainly use it as my pistol can and use the sparrow on the rifle.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

I would go SWR/Silencer Co. I could not believe how fast the turn around was on a end cap strike repair. Was in and out the same day. Door to door 6 days with a major holiday in there. Great people and customer service. :D
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

+1 on Silencerco. If you're concerned about FRP, there are measures that can be taken to avoid it (blow some "air" via your mouth into the can before firing, use some liquid, etc). That being said, I have never noticed FRP on my Sparrow (I do have the original though)...but like Ryan said, I'm usually too busy having fun to notice it even if it is there :D
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

Post by starlingstalker »

The 1st. consideration is CLEANABILITY as the 22LR is an inherently dirty rimfire round especially with the hotter grades and the welded Krud that comes off those clamshells doing the dishes. So scrutinze the design - the Sparrow will fall apart for cleaning whereas others with the same round count will possibly be welded shut. Multi caliber ratings built in. There are quieter cans but take down design will be with You for a LONG time. Durability is next at the top,too. Especially if there is a baffle ding. Already been there done that and the 17- 4 stainless one piece guts is as tough as they come - replaceable as necessary.
I have the ss Sparrow and I bought the sponsoring Company 1st as the product is secondary. I found that out after I sent her in for a major facelift and retooling from a serious cooking from my 180 and obligatory drum dumps. She came back with new O - rings, reparked, reingraved and has new clamshells now. Fantastic quickie service per Mike Pappas. I had my funds in hand to pay up. No this is warranty covered. But she got blistered, roasted and toasted ala the 180. So, if Your Sparrow can stand up to those drum dumps we'll consider it ongoing R and D for any other hosts. She's auto rated so let her rip. All the innards are replaceable. Send her back for a fluff and puff anytime. But...but... :o
As I found out, I bought the Company. The can is only a serviceable product. Silencerco IS Super top shelf. A most pleasant and gratifying experience. And when those rifle cans come out, I'm going to do it all over,AGAIN. :D
starlingstalker :D
Ban weapons, not firearms!
It may ONLY be a dollar but its STILL a Sux Tax!
Pssst, so let's change this infringing UNConstitutional Law!
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

I think that a lot depends on what host(s) you are going to use it on.

They are both great cans. The Sparrow is a couple of ounces heavier. The Element is almost unbelievably light.

I went with the Sparrow because I'm using it almost exclusively on a heavy barreled rifle and the extra weight is not noticeable. Additionally, on my 11.5" barreled gun, FRP is nonexistent. I have not used it on a pistol, but in the testing that I have seen the Element does have less FRP than the Sparrow when used on a pistol.

If I were using the can primarily on a Ruger Mk II or a P22 I would seriously consider the Element.

I bought the Sparrow as my last .22 can. It's way overbuilt for my purposes, it's dead easy to disassemble and clean, the design is such that even I am unlikely to screw up the tube (the only part that the manufacturer can not replace without requiring another transfer) and it's so quiet on my rifle that the sound of the striker falling is less than the muzzle report.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I have 3 .22 silencers. They are all 40 dB reduction silencers.

Some things that make the 3 I have unique.

My Prodigy is LIGHT. (an Element is about the same, but the Element has little to no FRP)

Some pistols need a very light silencer to reduce the pinch of the slide to frame friction and a heavier can may cause FTF. The Element's big selling points are it's very light weight, no noticeable FRP, and size.

The SS Sparrow is a little heavier but it's ease of disassembly and how quiet it is for it's small size is impressive. It is the best for volume shooting. You can burn through brick after brick and never worry about being able to take it apart. This, to me, is the most important. It is very quiet like all the top picks. It is also indestructible, being all steel. It is a compact (short) .22 silencer. It is tough enough to handle a steady diet of 5.7 ammo.

The SS Sparrow has only 2 very small cons.. weight (it's not all that heavy) and some FRP.. The FRP is a lot LESS with more crud in it. Mine has gotten less FRP and is a little quieter overall with some buildup to seal the clam shells to the core. If I want to limit the FRP I just spritz some water in the front with my nose spray bottle.

The third silencer I have is my Liberty Essence. It is also very quiet. IMHO the quietest of the 3. It also has the least FRP of any .22 silencer I have shot. It is quiet on both a pistol and rifle. But the major selling point (other than 41 dB reduction) it's very low blow back. Of the silencers I have shot it is the one that will let me shoot my 10/22 the longest. Same with the High Standard and Sig P-226 .22 conversion I have. Both dislike carbon fouling.

The Essence/ Kodiak design reduces blow back and lets me shoot longer before having to clean my host. It is also a lower tone. Now on paper lower tones are louder, but to my ear it's quieter, almost pleasant. Hard to describe. But the report of the Kodiak/ Essence is more invisible being less directional.

I think having 2 .22 silencers is a good thing. The SS Sparrow or a Kodiak AND an Element or Prodigy..

But it all comes down to "Feature set" that counts. What features are the most important to you?

My SS sparrow gets the most use. My Essence is the silencer I use on my finicky semi autos... My Prodigy is for my bolt gun or the pistols then like a light silencer. If I only take ONE .22 silencer to the range.. I take the SS Sparrow.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

I've had my SS Sparrow for a little over a month. In that time I've put around 800 rounds through it. The 2 times I've cleaned it, it came right apart with no hassle whatsoever. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend one to anyone.

All my hosts have run 100% with it. Those hosts are a P226 conversion kit, Advantage Arms Glock conversion kit, Sig 522, and Savage FV-SR.

As for an additional .22lr suppressor, I'd probably go with the new Spectre II based off the available details on it. I have nothing but 100% faith in Silencerco/SWR.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

JohnInNH, as dealers do when giving the DB merits
of their compensators you say:

" ... I have 3 .22 silencers. They are all 40 dB reduction silencers. "

I freely admit my ignorance. Are all .22's ( and other rounds ) assumed to have a standard non-compensated
measured numeric from which one can subtract that number?

Or given one's particular weapon, is there a source you can find its average
rate?

For instance what would be the figure of merit for a S&W M41 or Ruger, un-compensated,etc.?
It would be great to have these numbers and their source for the record.

Keep warm, think one can see your chimney smoke across the horizon. :)

Best.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Historian wrote:JohnInNH, as dealers do when giving the DB merits
of their compensators you say:

" ... I have 3 .22 silencers. They are all 40 dB reduction silencers. "

I freely admit my ignorance. Are all .22's ( and other rounds ) assumed to have a standard non-compensated
measured numeric from which one can subtract that number?

Or given one's particular weapon, is there a source you can find its average
rate?

For instance what would be the figure of merit for a S&W M41 or Ruger, un-compensated,etc.?
It would be great to have these numbers and their source for the record.

Keep warm, think one can see your chimney smoke across the horizon. :)

Best.

The reduction numbers are only for a given host with a given ammo on a given day. (and with a given metering system)

You can generalize and, for example, say an unsuppressed M4 is 165 dB, but it will vary in practice.

With 5.56 cans, the standard test ammo is M855, but there is no guarantee that a tester used this. With other ammunition, there are no standards at all, so one manufacturer might be testing with winchester bulk pack, another with CCI subsonics...
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy