2012 at SHOT from AAC so far

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

arcetri

Re: 2012 at SHOT from AAC so far

Post by arcetri »

Jason, thanks for the update on the 3 lug. Do you have any idea when it is going to be available for purchase and how much?

Arcetri
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Fireman1291 wrote:Really wish they had come out with a user serviceable 1.25od pistol can. Like a updated evo9. :(
hear, hear
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Wahoo95 wrote:I see they made the new 90t mounts for a more solid lock up, however is there any real issue with the 51t mounts lock up???
not unless you are on the internet. ;)

Actually, no matter what 'real world' use says, a can mount with no play versus one that has a little designed in will seem 'better'. The 90T is an improvement.

The 51T is still a good system.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
ericb

Post by ericb »

I'm looking for a 30 cal suppressor for my 300 blk upper (8" noveske bbl). I'm willing to give up a few db's to keep it short, but it must be hearing safe. It sounds like the mini7 may be louder than what I want. I had been eying up the sdn-6, but the sr7 looks like a good candidate as well. I'm trying to get an idea of the exact differences. They're roughly the same dimensions and weight. The sr7 has the new (more rigid) 90t ratchet mount and the sdn-6 has the 51t. I assume they're both all inconel internals, but have different baffle designs. I currently shoot this rifle without a can and my 8" bbl currently does not cycle sub rounds. The sr7 claims less back pressure....I'm guessing it should still be enough to cycle my 8" bbl with subs?

Does that about cover the differences? Any idea on when it (sr7) will ship from AAC?
Last edited by ericb on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
b4r2d2

Post by b4r2d2 »

Jason- So can I use my SDN-6 on a 90T mount. If so, does that keep the weeble from wobbling?
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

JasonM wrote:
Ryo wrote:Is it me, or does that suppressor look strange..
It's just my thin depth of field slightly out of focus pic. take it easy. :)

Also, your Robin Williams-esque arm hair.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

b4r2d2 wrote:Jason- So can I use my SDN-6 on a 90T mount. If so, does that keep the weeble from wobbling?
No, they don't wrk with each other.
Kick Ass Design
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Ctaylor wrote:
JasonM wrote:
Ryo wrote:Is it me, or does that suppressor look strange..
It's just my thin depth of field slightly out of focus pic. take it easy. :)

Also, your Robin Williams-esque arm hair.
You shut your whore mouth!

:D
Kick Ass Design
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

I wonder if the ratchet on the 90T will wear out faster than the 51T?
LRB45

Post by LRB45 »

Are there any closeup pictures of the new AAC BLK rifles? Also who manufactures these rifles? Price?

thanks
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

JasonM wrote:ELEMENT2 - flat back endcap, Ti tube
Finally. I asked Silvers and Kevin for this when they were soliciting ideas for the first Element.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

the cutouts at the front look like crap, rear flutes look cool.
NP
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Conqueror wrote:
JasonM wrote:ELEMENT2 - flat back endcap, Ti tube
Finally. I asked Silvers and Kevin for this when they were soliciting ideas for the first Element.
Somebody finally listened to someone. 8)
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

delta9mda wrote:the cutouts at the front look like crap, rear flutes look cool.
Agree. Aesthetically, I like just a solid can, like my Surefire, or one with very light texture, like the "lines" on the M4-2000. I don't like the new SR5 or the KAC NT4, aesthetically, as compared to those other two.

However, form over function. If there is true benefit, rock on.

Then again, my opinion doesn't really matter, but it's the internet, so throwing it out there makes me feel important :)
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Unobtanium wrote:
delta9mda wrote:the cutouts at the front look like crap, rear flutes look cool.
Agree. Aesthetically, I like just a solid can, like my Surefire, or one with very light texture, like the "lines" on the M4-2000. I don't like the new SR5 or the KAC NT4, aesthetically, as compared to those other two.

However, form over function. If there is true benefit, rock on.

Then again, my opinion doesn't really matter, but it's the internet, so throwing it out there makes me feel important :)
I think they look very cool in person. Of course, the purpose is weight reduction up there, so material can be added to the blast chamber area to increase strength where pressure is the hghest without increasing overall weight.
Kick Ass Design
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

copenhagen wrote:I wonder if the ratchet on the 90T will wear out faster than the 51T?
doubtfull, because there are many mre teeth on the ratchet lever itself to spread out the wear.
Kick Ass Design
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

Lame, looks like I'll upgrade my old M42000-06 to the SilencerCo can since it will fit my 51t mounts. funny that we now have to buy another companies cans in order to use our old mounts. The mounts changing every few years and AAC not offering an update service really really sucks. I'm sure there are many owners out there who would gladly pay to upgrade their older can's mounts. Heck, I just got my N6 5-6 weeks ago.

At least with the 18T mounts the old 18T cans work on the 51T mounts. Doesn't sound like its the same with the new 90T cans, you need all new mounts and they don't play nice between each other.
JasonM wrote:
the_accuser wrote:Are the SR5 and SR7 compatible with the 51t mounts or will they only work with the new 90t mounts?
Not compatible:

-----------------------------

This space for rent.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

JasonM wrote:doubtfull, because there are many mre teeth on the ratchet lever itself to spread out the wear.
Not really sure the increased number of teeth will "spread out" the wear. Each individual tooth on the latch will now be passing over 90 teeth on the mount per revolution instead of 51.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
JadeRaven

Post by JadeRaven »

Lame indeed. I guess I should be glad I'm only invested a little over a thousand bucks in a can and mounts.

I was peeved when I found out that this can wobbles when mounted. Even more peeved when I found out it was designed to do this. If it would grab the last tooth when fully seated it would be swell, but I guess that's too high a tolerance to meet.

So the solution is either to wait several years until AAC settles on a mount that works or go with another company.
bp_968 wrote:Lame, looks like I'll upgrade my old M42000-06 to the SilencerCo can since it will fit my 51t mounts. funny that we now have to buy another companies cans in order to use our old mounts. The mounts changing every few years and AAC not offering an update service really really sucks. I'm sure there are many owners out there who would gladly pay to upgrade their older can's mounts. Heck, I just got my N6 5-6 weeks ago.

At least with the 18T mounts the old 18T cans work on the 51T mounts. Doesn't sound like its the same with the new 90T cans, you need all new mounts and they don't play nice between each other.
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... 779&page=5

Great guide to fix wobble on your extra mounts (my main mount doesn't wobble, the other(s) do). I haven't tried this yet, but plan to.

And yes, I agree it sucks we need to do this. I thought I was fixing this problem going to the 51T from the 18T. I'm really excited to see how tight the silencerCo mount is.
JadeRaven wrote:Lame indeed. I guess I should be glad I'm only invested a little over a thousand bucks in a can and mounts.

I was peeved when I found out that this can wobbles when mounted. Even more peeved when I found out it was designed to do this. If it would grab the last tooth when fully seated it would be swell, but I guess that's too high a tolerance to meet.

So the solution is either to wait several years until AAC settles on a mount that works or go with another company.
bp_968 wrote:Lame, looks like I'll upgrade my old M42000-06 to the SilencerCo can since it will fit my 51t mounts. funny that we now have to buy another companies cans in order to use our old mounts. The mounts changing every few years and AAC not offering an update service really really sucks. I'm sure there are many owners out there who would gladly pay to upgrade their older can's mounts. Heck, I just got my N6 5-6 weeks ago.

This space for rent.
tctlrld
Silent But Deadly

Post by tctlrld »

I see 12.5" and 16" factory rifles in the 2012 catalog. Why no 9" rifles?
HKschalldampfer

Post by HKschalldampfer »

bp_968 wrote:http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... 779&page=5

Great guide to fix wobble on your extra mounts (my main mount doesn't wobble, the other(s) do). I haven't tried this yet, but plan to.

And yes, I agree it sucks we need to do this. I thought I was fixing this problem going to the 51T from the 18T. I'm really excited to see how tight the silencerCo mount is.
JadeRaven wrote:Lame indeed. I guess I should be glad I'm only invested a little over a thousand bucks in a can and mounts.

I'm not sure I understand your frustration. I know it has a little bit of wobble to it, but does it effect your accuracy? My m42K holds just as tight a group as my friend's surefire. The lock up is tight on his silencer but I paid a lot less for mine, and in my opinion received a superior product. The mounts have changed on the SR5 and SR7, but they still retain the 51T on the mini7. Something has to be going well for them to still be using and producing the same mount, right?
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

HKschalldampfer wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your frustration. I know it has a little bit of wobble to it, but does it effect your accuracy? My m42K holds just as tight a group as my friend's surefire. The lock up is tight on his silencer but I paid a lot less for mine, and in my opinion received a superior product. The mounts have changed on the SR5 and SR7, but they still retain the 51T on the mini7. Something has to be going well for them to still be using and producing the same mount, right?
I haven't tested it to see if it effects my accuracy. some people have documented that it indeed does. I wouldn't consider a 950$ MSRP silencer to be "alot less", nor for a wobble to be acceptable. apparently the tolerances need to me a bit higher then they are. not to mention many people bought the upgraded m4-2000 *because* of the issues with the 18T, only to have similar problems with the improved mount.

So if I want to add a new 5.56 can to my "stable" along with my brand new SDN-6 I can't buy the SR5/SR7 because compatibility has been lost. I have to buy the older cans (which are fine honestly, but it still sucks).

Also how many hosts do you have? I have 5. some people have many more. If you only have 1 host its not really a concern because chances are your mount that came with it locks up solid.

Honestly I'm less concerned with the wobble and more upset that they switched to a new mount thats totally incompatible with the previous one, making one of the most useful aspects of a QD system (being able to give it a home on all your rifles) much much less useful. Its especially saddening to see a competitor not only make (from whats been said so far) a much more robust mount, but a much more robust mount that fits my "old" mounts while AACs own mount does not. I don't see why the 51T system could not have just been product improved and make everyone happy. Look at how easy it is for the user to modify it to a perfect tight fit himself. they could have dropped another latch on it so the two latches both snapped in, securing the suppressor better, and that's just one of many ways I'm sure it could have been improved.

Heck I've considered taking a shot at retrofitting my old 18T can to a 51T latch but they won't sell the latch supposedly because its a suppressor part (which might be true, though its odd why the ATF would consider a tiny latch a problem but whole LID's and 3-lug mounts are not a problem for the 9mm cans).

I think I know exactly why they switched mounts and didn't product improve the 51T mount. Because at 100-150$ a pop those mounts are a hopping accessory business for them. Heck now they even get to sell mounts to mount a competitors product (silencerco's new can).

Maybe the next big craze will be rifle cans with thread on QD mounts so you can follow the continuous mount cycle. lol Though I think from the look of it SilencerCo's design might just take care of the problem once and for all.

As for them continuing to use the same mount on a few cans? they did the same thing with the 18T and most people agree it wasn't really the best design (I didn't have many problems with mine, but most of my friends *did*). I usually wouldn't recommend the M4-1000 specifically because of the mount, though the can was/is great other then the sometimes "iffy" mount.

This space for rent.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Should have changed the mount instead of adding more teeth ( just more band aids and easier to ding)

Also should come up with solutions for older mounts.( like a quick lock)

can be done, pay Silencerco to dream it up. :lol:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
mtbiker731

Post by mtbiker731 »

Wait, no Honey Badger?