Moving to New York?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

kdcgrohl
Silent Operator

Moving to New York?

Post by kdcgrohl »

Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Re: Moving to New York?

Post by Jmark »

Wow, certainly doesn't look good.
hawzwood

Post by hawzwood »

NEW YORK CITY? GET A ROPE!

The beginning of the end. The morale has to be just terrible wondering who's next.

The fabric of what made AAC was way more than what they manufactured, it was who they were and how they did it.

Glad I made it to the "last" Silencer Shoot.

And Lynsey was a highlight of that trip. Such a nice person.

:(
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

s--t, I didn't even think about the Silencer Shoot. :?

I made it to every one save the last. Honestly I wonder how much, if anything will remain the same with the company?
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

Not going to happen....
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Lynsey was very loyal to Kevin as are many others, no surprise many will leave or be asked to leave in coming months.

Sooner or later a new silencer company is going to be created in that area and their will be a pool of talent to employ. It is inevitable.
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

Ctaylor wrote:Not going to happen....
I hope not though I'm sure the folks at Bushmaster had the same thoughts.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

If you notice several other people no longer work there. Makes you wonder . Just hope they are smart to keep Mers and Hollister around.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

66427vette wrote:If you notice several other people no longer work there. Makes you wonder . Just hope they are smart to keep Mers and Hollister around.
Like who? I missed SHOT so did not talk to anyone.
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

renegade wrote:
66427vette wrote:If you notice several other people no longer work there. Makes you wonder . Just hope they are smart to keep Mers and Hollister around.
Like who? I missed SHOT so did not talk to anyone.
Lynsey was a huge hub at AAC and seeing her going makes me wonder how much longer anyone is going to be there. Mers and Hollister are good people and I hope they stay on. Moving from GA to NY is a big thing. If Mike Smith, Mers, Hollister go, I would think AAC would be making an massive mistake.
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

Gear Scout is indicating that this may signal that Remington is consolidating their production of AAC’s products at their Ilion, New York plant. This may turn out to be a false rumor (the moving, not the firing) as one of our readers got in contact with Mers at AAC who reportedly said of the reportedly impending move “don’t believe everything you read on the internet.”
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/0 ... -thompson/
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

I don't believe the move story.

Is there a lot of upheaval and a lot of unanswered questions? Definitely.

Time will tell. Lots of good people and products still there.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Sad...
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Jason when did you leave?
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

66427vette wrote:Jason when did you leave?
PM
Kick Ass Design
hawzwood

Post by hawzwood »

JasonM wrote:
66427vette wrote:Jason when did you leave?
PM
I had thought of the same question but didn't ask. :wink:

I don't think it is a stretch of the imagination to say that was likely the last Silencer Shoot though.
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

There were moves by Remington to get making silencers legal in New York. This was almost two years ago, six months after they bought AAC...
By David Robinson
The Evening Times
Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 08:01 AM

http://www.herkimertelegram.com/news/x5 ... ve-victory

Ilion, N.Y. —
Firearms legislation enacted Wednesday will help bring New York up to speed in a perpetual race to give manufacturers the incentives and state subsidies they demand to keep regional plants open.
After over a year of politicians lobbying on behalf of the Remington Arms plant in Ilion, Gov. David Paterson signed a bill into law that allows manufacturers to possess firearm suppressors — also known as silencers — prior to securing contracts, according to Jim Rabbia, plant manager.
Current law prohibited manufacturers in New York from even possessing silencers without a pre-existing contract for the work, according to Rabbia.
“It precluded us from developing other contracts,” he said.
The Ilion plant as a result of the legislation is now able to conduct research and development that involves silencers prior to the government soliciting bids for contracts.
U.S. Rep. Michael Arcuri, who has publicly called for the governor to sign the law, described the law as removing a roadblock for Remington Arms. The company will now be able to compete for federal Department of Defense contracts worth hundreds of millions of dollars and potentially bring jobs to the region, he said.
Other states that have Remington firearms’ manufacturing plants already have the law in place, Rabbia said. Enacting the law in New York solidifies the Ilion plant’s future as well as employment security and the likelihood of job growth, he added.
Remington, which is owned by private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, had been working with silencers at its sister sites, according to Rabbia.
Now that the work can be done in New York state, the Ilion plant is placed on more even footing with Remington plants that are located from Maine to Arkansas.
In the short term, the bill puts the Ilion plant in a better position to win a $5.6 million contract to upgrade sniper rifles for the U.S. Army. The project, which Remington has already bid on, involves upgrading over 3,000 M24 sniper rifles. Most of the sniper rifles are built at the Ilion plant.
The signing of the new law comes less than a week after Arcuri held a press conference related to his push for opening up competition for federal defense contracts. Arcuri on Friday was joined at the Ilion plant by company officials, including Rabbia, and he called for federal legislation that would allow for Remington and other manufacturers to bid on contracts that are currently limited to select companies.
Arcuri plans to introduce the Small Arms Competition and Innovation Act this week. He linked it and the silencer issue as important steps in allowing for free-market competition on defense contracts.
While admitting laws such as the silencer legislation increase chances for job growth at the plant, Rabbia has not committed to saying more jobs will come to the Ilion plant.
Remington Arms has announced its plant in Connecticut, which has close to 265 workers, will close by June 2011. The company may be interested in re-locating jobs to other plants, officials have said.
But Rabbia has said the company’s decision will depend on which states put together the best incentive packages and offer the most government funding.
The local and state government in recent years has provided several incentives to keep the close to 900 jobs at the Ilion plant secure.
The county last year gave $2 million to assist with its over $13 million capital project. The plant’s project also relied on almost $3 million in state grant funding, and created almost 200 jobs.
AAC was purchased by Remington on October 2, 2009...
REMINGTON® ACQUIRES ADVANCED ARMAMENT CORP™
October 06, 2009

Madison, N.C. – Remington Arms Company, Inc. through a wholly owned subsidiary has entered into a purchase agreement to acquire certain assets of Advanced Armament Corp (AAC). The transaction closed on October 2, 2009.
Located in Norcross, Georgia, AAC is an industry-leading supplier of signature noise reduction and flash reduction devices and combat-related accessories for the military, government and commercial markets. With their innovative design concepts, technologically-advanced manufacturing techniques and core focus on the end-user, AAC silencers and accessories have been selected by major firearms manufacturers, law enforcement agencies, commercial consumers, and military organizations globally since the company’s inception in 1999.
AAC will continue day-to-day operations at their Georgia-based location under the guidance of company founder, Kevin Brittingham, and report to the Remington Military Products Division (MPD).

“We welcome Kevin and his team of engineers and designers on board,” commented Theodore (Ted) Torbeck, CEO of Remington and its parent, Freedom Group, Inc. “With the acquisition of AAC, we can enhance our research and development capabilities and deliver a more competitive product to the end user; further strengthening Remington’s position in the domestic and international markets.”

About Remington Arms Company, Inc.

Remington Arms Company, Inc., headquartered in Madison, N.C., designs, produces and sells sporting goods products for the hunting and shooting sports markets, as well as solutions to the military, government and law enforcement markets. Founded in 1816 in upstate New York, the Company is one of the nation's oldest continuously operating manufacturers. Remington is the only U.S. manufacturer of both firearms and ammunition products and one of the largest domestic producers of shotguns and rifles. The Company distributes its products throughout the U.S. and in over 65 foreign countries.
SC-Texas
Silent But Deadly

Post by SC-Texas »

Saw lynsey at shot show. Hate to see her go.
http://www.TexasGunTrust.com

http://www.Houstonattorney.org

http://www.Atomiclabrat.com

Family and Criminal Law services in Houston, TX
m3s90
Senior Silent Operator

Post by m3s90 »

Maybe if they move to New York, some enterprising person will purchase the GA facilities and start a new silencer company....... Seems like there is a great team no longer being employed by Remington
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

With the exception of Jason, every single post in this thread is from the myopic position of the outside looking in. Yes, Kevin and Lynsey are gone. Despite their high profile, the two of them did not constitute the whole of AAC. The same talent pool of thinkers, dreamers, designers, and mad scientists that are responsible for 95% of all the AAC products you own and love, are all still in the house and working hard. AAC is an extremely succesful part of the FGI family. It would not make $ense to move the company or take any other action that would result in a loss of true talent.
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

SilentMike wrote:With the exception of Jason, every single post in this thread is from the myopic position of the outside looking in. Yes, Kevin and Lynsey are gone. Despite their high profile, the two of them did not constitute the whole of AAC. The same talent pool of thinkers, dreamers, designers, and mad scientists that are responsible for 95% of all the AAC products you own and love, are all still in the house and working hard. AAC is an extremely succesful part of the FGI family. It would not make $ense to move the company or take any other action that would result in a loss of true talent.
Well said mike.
Kick Ass Design
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcinfantry »

Wasn't there a thread one time that AAC was sold, and it was stated NO WAY? Then they announced they had been bought out?

Or am I nuts?
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

mcinfantry wrote:Wasn't there a thread one time that AAC was sold, and it was stated NO WAY? Then they announced they had been bought out?

Or am I nuts?
Yup, Freedom Group now owns AAC.
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

SilentMike wrote: Yes, Kevin and Lynsey are gone. Despite their high profile, the two of them did not constitute the whole of AAC. The same talent pool of thinkers, dreamers, designers, and mad scientists that are responsible for 95% of all the AAC products you own and love, are all still in the house and working hard. AAC is an extremely succesful part of the FGI family.

This same thing happened back in the 80s to Apple. They almost went bankrupt.
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Bargsbeer wrote:
SilentMike wrote: Yes, Kevin and Lynsey are gone. Despite their high profile, the two of them did not constitute the whole of AAC. The same talent pool of thinkers, dreamers, designers, and mad scientists that are responsible for 95% of all the AAC products you own and love, are all still in the house and working hard. AAC is an extremely succesful part of the FGI family.

This same thing happened back in the 80s to Apple. They almost went bankrupt.
The inevitable Apple comparisson. I'm surprised it took this long to turn up :).
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988