Baffle erosion 762 - SD with pictures

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderator: SilentMike

firefighter509
Silent But Deadly

Baffle erosion 762 - SD with pictures

Post by firefighter509 »

Today while demoing my 762-SD for some friends I noticed some pretty extensive baffle erosion in the baffles just past the first one. I only have about 1200 rounds through this suppressor. A combination of .223, 300 blackout and 308. But from what I am seeing the baffles are missing a lot material around middle bore area to the point where I looks to be missing Chuncks and some of the baffles looked cracked, Also there is no evidence of a barrel strike.

What do you guys think?

I sent a PM to mike, might end up sending this baby in :cry:

I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zqB6qV7hI&feature=related
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Re: Baffle erosion 762 - SD with pictures

Post by Fireman1291 »

All I can say is you did a kickass job taking pics. Thats hard as hell to get a good shot of the baffle stack.

Im pretty sure most cans look like that(normal wear) but its worth a shot to see what AAC thinks. Good luck. :wink:
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

my m4-1000 is doing the exact same thing... they told me it's normal! jagged edges missing on mine too... none of my other suppressors do this...

seems to me that after a while non round baffles would make the gas do funky things to the bullet and ruin accuracy

please let me know what they say if you send it in... I don't think it's normal either!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
LA_357SIG

Post by LA_357SIG »

Correction. Mine did not look like the OP's when I first got it. I remember it wasn't perfectly round. And I have between 500-600 rounds of 5.56 through it from a 20" and 16" barrel.
Last edited by LA_357SIG on Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

I have an 80's AWC M22 currently I'm using on my 5.56 SPR.
The M22 is a reflex design suppressor that uses the old school stack of dimpled stainless washers with spacers.
That suppressor has over 5000 rounds through it and the baffles look perfect, nothing like what you photographed.
I'm sorry, but I would not accept that.
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

Post by starlingstalker »

Sharp pictures with problem self evident. Looks like an ongoing issue with pass thru flame cutting. How many rounds and what type ammo?
As there have been 223 rounds shot through this over bore can THAT the burning propellant and PRESSURE curve is overtaking the slug as it moves through the baffles. They all are getting whittled/cut away. It doesn't take many 22 cal rounds to notice these rough edges. Some powders burn hotter than others. Consequentially the edges of the SS baffles are being literally vaporized from the leaking blowby. Max pressure coupled with powder heat accelerates wear from an under size light 22 bullet THAT MOVES QUICKER downrange in motion than a heavier 30 cal slug that plugs the bore especially with 22 cal mag dumps. The 30 cal slug seals better. No baffle strikes but boring out the can with dragons breath blasting is ongoing with the under size bullets. Glad I have Inconel guts in my SDN6 with 9" AAC upper. It helps a lot preventing sandblasting erosion from SBR lengths. Mostly running hot Winclean type ammo or spec 193 or 855 slugs ala rock n roll would demonstrate the same cutting results eventually in the SDN6,too.
Soooo, that's why I have to have a 22 cal sexy Silencerco Saker with Inconel guts for rock n Roll mag dumps. :P
Hope this helps.
starlingstalker :D
Ban weapons, not firearms!
It may ONLY be a dollar but its STILL a Sux Tax!
Pssst, so let's change this infringing UNConstitutional Law!
firefighter509
Silent But Deadly

Post by firefighter509 »

Thanks I tried hard to get these pictures, not sure how others do it so well. that said. I was wondering whey I been getting inconstant accuracy out of this can with match 308 ammunition, thought it was my gun not wanting to run suppressed. that said, all as been factory Federal ammo with the exception of some m118LR and the Remington 220 subsonic ammunition for the 300 Blackout. no hand-loads or crazy ammo in this one. I am thinking 1200 RD on the high end but more like 800. I bought this can as a dual use so I have put down my fair share of .223/5.56 :roll:
I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zqB6qV7hI&feature=related
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

firefighter509 wrote:Thanks I tried hard to get these pictures, not sure how others do it so well. that said. I was wondering whey I been getting inconstant accuracy out of this can with match 308 ammunition, thought it was my gun not wanting to run suppressed. that said, all as been factory Federal ammo with the exception of some m118LR and the Remington 220 subsonic ammunition for the 300 Blackout. no hand-loads or crazy ammo in this one. I am thinking 1200 RD on the high end but more like 800. I bought this can as a dual use so I have put down my fair share of .223/5.56 :roll:
What 223 ammo(Federal?) and round count? Hot 22 cal mag dumps?
Also,those sharp baffle edges definitely would/will upset the base of the slug as it rotates for stability. A demonstrated lot of misdirected turbulence and random pressure variations as the slug passes each baffle especially on those match grade slugs and will deteriorate even more as wear/blowby increases. Accuracy would most definitely be affected as You already know. Once the bore gets far enough out of spec, a repack is indicated. Hopefully with Inconel. At least it will hold up better than the standard grades SS. See if AAC can do a super custom SDN6 guts upgrade to Your SD. :P
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Let us know how this goes. Im sure AAC will take care of it for you.
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

When I picked up my new SCAR-H it looked just like this.SPR\M4 same thing.
I am sure it is normal.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

normal thats how they come brand new
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

Just checked mine and it looks like yours. I have a low round count and it has yet to see a mag dump. I will be willing to bet this is how it looks coming out of the factory.

How does it sound? You have not seen any accuracy degradation have you?
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Wow it does no look good? I checked my YHM phantom AKA the brick. I have put about 15 cases of ammo through this can. We had friends over last summer and put 6 thousand round cases of wolf through it in one three day weekend. I do have a bit of carbon you can see in the pictures. The majority of those where fired FA the reason I bought the brick to begin with. I have cleaned it a few times.

"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

yamatitan wrote:normal thats how they come brand new
Really? Not any of Mine. I guess the zoomed in photo makes it look worse?
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

A budy of mine with a 7.62 sd called me a couple weeks ago with this same exact question so I looked at my Cyclone. My Cyclone looks nothing like that, but Mike did say that it was normal when he called AAC. It might just be the 7.62 sd design?
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

twodollarbill wrote:I have an 80's AWC M22 currently I'm using on my 5.56 SPR.
The M22 is a reflex design suppressor that uses the old school stack of dimpled stainless washers with spacers.
That suppressor has over 5000 rounds through it and the baffles look perfect, nothing like what you photographed.
I'm sorry, but I would not accept that.
Your vintage 1980's silencer also weights a ton.

Mike
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

So Mers is this normal ?
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

starlingstalker wrote:Sharp pictures with problem self evident. Looks like an ongoing issue with pass thru flame cutting. How many rounds and what type ammo?
As there have been 223 rounds shot through this over bore can THAT the burning propellant and PRESSURE curve is overtaking the slug as it moves through the baffles. They all are getting whittled/cut away. It doesn't take many 22 cal rounds to notice these rough edges. Some powders burn hotter than others. Consequentially the edges of the SS baffles are being literally vaporized from the leaking blowby. Max pressure coupled with powder heat accelerates wear from an under size light 22 bullet THAT MOVES QUICKER downrange in motion than a heavier 30 cal slug that plugs the bore especially with 22 cal mag dumps. The 30 cal slug seals better. No baffle strikes but boring out the can with dragons breath blasting is ongoing with the under size bullets. Glad I have Inconel guts in my SDN6 with 9" AAC upper. It helps a lot preventing sandblasting erosion from SBR lengths. Mostly running hot Winclean type ammo or spec 193 or 855 slugs ala rock n roll would demonstrate the same cutting results eventually in the SDN6,too.
Soooo, that's why I have to have a 22 cal sexy Silencerco Saker with Inconel guts for rock n Roll mag dumps. :P
Hope this helps.

How did you get a Saker so fast?
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

If a 22 cal is shot in a 30 diameter bore,the pressure and flame would be bearing DIRECTLY against the baffle edges. Fantastic forces. The gap is significant enough to allow a lot of blast to travel alongside and ahead of the under size slug as it moves through the baffles. If there is a snug seal and the bullets BASE mates to the baffles bore per precise EDM, flame cutting would be at a minimum and the round count wouldn't be a problem hopefully for near the life of the can. Some cans demonstrate a good combo match for minimal wear from semi paced slow fire no matter what the round count- not so for others losing their innards.
Any can is self destructing to some minute degree each time we pull a trigger. Those ragged SHARP edges are self evident that the can has lost and is losing its precision a tiny bit each trigger pull. Think of the internal beating at 50K PSI mated with several thousand degrees of instant dragon breath at the moment of ignition that cuts mostly anything but Unobtanium. The next best metal would be the high end super secret baffles in the Saker coming. Supposedly ,it's the Best there is....
The sacrificial baffles aren't thick as a rifle barrel but more importantly they have to STOP that super heated vapor and those delicate thin edges pay and melt away from the next best thing as a plasma plate cutter or arc gouger.
If there is a snug seal and the bullets base mates to the baffles bore per EDM, flame cutting would be at a minimum and the round count wouldn't be a problem hopefully for near the life of the can. Some operators are harder on cans than others. Saw a couple self destruct at the big Silencer Shoot. An internal meltdown coming - then catastrophic failure. Premeditated deliberate destruction.
To say that those sharp edges are expected, NO not for me. Shooting under sized bullets, especially 22s at 3K FPS, really beats up an overbore rifle can internally. Also think of those nifty shorty SBRs that ruin the baffles on less durable construction cans.
Having an overbore pistol can for multi calibers not so much a problem related to reduced pressure and less volume/heat.
Rifle pressures,especially the 223 is VERY unforgiving. To say that the flame cutting is normal is BS. At the least, You should know WHY it's occurring. And take measures to keep it to a minimum. So, for me, no 223s thu my SDN6. And I need another rifle can anyway. :P
That's WHY I will have a dedicated super Saker for my 22 cal mag dumps and rock n roll. :P
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

1_ar_newbie wrote:
starlingstalker wrote:Sharp pictures with problem self evident. Looks like an ongoing issue with pass thru flame cutting. How many rounds and what type ammo?
Hope this helps.

It's already on my Santa Claus short list. Hopefully, he'll deliver, too. Only a wait of a very short year .... :mrgreen:
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

66427vette wrote:So Mers is this normal ?
What we see here is normal for our 762-SD silencer.

First let's talk about how this silencer looked when it was new.

1. First baffle is made of heat treated 718 Inconel. It has a symmetrical bore aperture (the bore hole is round)
2. All of the middle baffles (as in not the first or last) are made of 316 stainless steel. They also have an asymmetrical bore aperture. That means one side of the baffle is shaped differently than the other.
3. Last baffle is made of 316 SS but has a symmetrical bore aperture.

Why do the middle baffles have an asymmetrical bore aperture? Because we need the added sound reduction generated by the turbulence the asymmetry causes. Our Cyclone uses all symmetrical bore apertures this aids in accuracy but makes the silencer 9" long. Also note that the Cyclone is packed full of baffles.... no room for a flash hider in there. Now if we made a QD Cyclone it would be 12" of so long!

Now let's talk about what I see in the above pics.

1. First baffle looks good. Inclonel works! :wink:
2. Asymmetrical baffles are showing some wear. This is normal... being a 5.56 silencer is a hard job. This is also why we use all Inclonel baffles in the 762-SDN6 silencer.

I would like to ask the OP

How does it sound?

Mike Mers
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

starlingstalker wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote:
Hope this helps.

It's already on my Santa Claus short list. Hopefully, he'll deliver, too. Only a wait of a very short year .... :mrgreen:

Like I thought... you don't have one and have a clue how it will or will not wear.

I wish to keep things in the AAC forum fact based so please refrain from guessing about how other silencers are better or worse than AAC products if you do not have first hand knowledge of them.

Mike Mers
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
66427vette wrote:So Mers is this normal ?
What we see here is normal for our 762-SD silencer.

First let's talk about how this silencer looked when it was new.

1. First baffle is made of heat treated 718 Inconel. It has a symmetrical bore aperture (the bore hole is round)
2. All of the middle baffles (as in not the first or last) are made of 316 stainless steel. They also have an asymmetrical bore aperture. That means one side of the baffle is shaped differently than the other.
3. Last baffle is made of 316 SS but has a symmetrical bore aperture.

Why do the middle baffles have an asymmetrical bore aperture? Because we need the added sound reduction generated by the turbulence the asymmetry causes. Our Cyclone uses all symmetrical bore apertures this aids in accuracy but makes the silencer 9" long. Also note that the Cyclone is packed full of baffles.... no room for a flash hider in there. Now if we made a QD Cyclone it would be 12" of so long!

Now let's talk about what I see in the above pics.

1. First baffle looks good. Inclonel works! :wink:
2. Asymmetrical baffles are showing some wear. This is normal... being a 5.56 silencer is a hard job. This is also why we use all Inclonel baffles in the 762-SDN6 silencer.

I would like to ask the OP

How does it sound?

Mike Mers
It would not get any louder,

however, it will become less accurate.

And I believe he said he is getting inconsistent groupings with match ammo.

Quiet and inaccurate is no good.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

My 2nd can was an SRT Shadow.

I have over 5k rounds through it.

It looks like new, only with carbon in it.

And it still shoots perfect,
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

My comments were directed mostly about the evident flame cutting from the 223 in a 30 cal can.
Would You say that the baffle erosion will continue and or advance/accelerate if 223 is the round mostly shot through the 7.62 SD?
How much more so with the SS rather than Inconel? What can be done to contain and reduce the baffle erosion?
Could the SD be repacked with all Inconel guts?