7.62x39 frangible and subsonic

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Re: 7.62x39 frangible and subsonic

Post by nice shot »

John Titsworth wrote:NEVER shoot frangible ammo through a silencer.

I guess I should have clarified that the frang would have not been pushed through the can. . . . it was for shooting steel targets at work.

The subs were for the can, so I could get it a little quieter.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

este wrote:Believe it or not, I'm trying to help you. To just don't want to listen.

But it seems so much like bashing. . . . I guess, in some sort of weird appreciative way, thank you for looking out, just dont appreciate the way it comes out.
I was hopping to find someone who had extra that would sell them to me.
ak will accomodate a can. . . which is why I got the new AK. The twist is 1:10,
Ever consider I dont want, nor can I afford a 300BLK?
Group buy anyone?
Oh man you are completely on the wrong path. If you think subsonic AK is ever going to be cheaper than 300blk, you are nuts. No one will group buy this because anyone that has been down this path is already on or going to 300blk now. In your last thread one of the guys from Silencerco said its a non-starter and he gave up and wen to 300blk, and that's even hand loading.

You're never going to get what you want with this platform, I'm just telling you that now. Been there, seen that. Even IF you found cheap subsonic, once you hear it - just like everyone tried to tell you - it's still going to be loud.
10-4. So dont buy the subs. . . . got it.

As far as cheaper than a 300BLK, I was quoted over a grand for the upper for a 300BLK at the SAXET gunshow this weekend. . . the guy wont even keep em in stock because he cant move em. So where, other than winning the lottery, selling my wife, selling my motorcycle, would I get the money for the 300BLK. Im not bashing the round, not by a mile. But you constantly bring it up like its THE ONLY OPTION for me.

FWIW, the AK I purchased got great reviews and the people at the distributor didnt know enough so I made phone calls to different gun stores and I had received unbiased opinions from a gun shop owner (unbiased because I told him I wasnt buying from him). He shoots his .308 can off of his AK (same model as mine) with no problem. Helps him keep the noise down and hes been happy with it. . . .

So without some phony expectation that Im trying to be as silent as a .22 short sub sonic out of a bolt gun, yes, the AK will work for what I need, although it wont be whisper quiet. . . .it sure will be a lot more quiet than without the can. ALl I was trying to do was get ahold of an AK round that would help keep it quieter. . . thats obviously not getting a lot of approval here.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Emilio wrote:BTW, if you the same guy with the AK who wants to buy a different one that comes threaded,,,, you are it for more pain! MOST AK threads are not centered to the bore. I may quote this when your can get funny hole in it. :mrgreen:
These are concentric threads. American made parts, CHFB, 14x1 LH. Numerous claims of no baffel strikes on these. . . . so, I guess Im betting on the chance I get to join those in making a great review on the rifle.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Rumnhammer

Post by Rumnhammer »

NS, all this talk of non concentric factory threads on AK's had me paranoid, so yesterday I put the Die and TAT together and screwed it onto my AK. It screwed right on, and didn't even remove any of the bluing on them. So I'm assuming that my AK's threads are good to go. FWIW I also read over the weekend that the YHM Phantom mount for the AK seats against the crown instead of the barrel behind the threads, to help out with aligning the bore on AK's with threads that aren't quite up to snuf. Also when I pick my can up, I intend on making a rod the same diameter as the bore to check clearance and alignment before I put any rounds though the can. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but that will give me added piece of mind.

Also I too intend to get an upper for my AR in 300blk, I too would be unable to drop a grand on one, so you might want to check out Model 1. They have a basic upper in 300blk for $370, and the best thing about 300blk is that you use your normal .223 bolt and magazines. Also subsonic 300blk is reasonably priced too.

Chris Rummel
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

NS, all this talk of non concentric factory threads on AK's had me paranoid, so yesterday I put the Die and TAT together and screwed it onto my AK.
The concern is not that a Die wont chase the threads, the concern is that the threads are concentric with the "line" of the bore.

Barrels can be bored "off center" and its a big concern with AK barrels.

A lot of foriegn made ak barrels are threaded just as you describe chasing your threads, put Die on the outside and cut the threads.

Threading a barrel "on centers" requires a lot more attention to detail and is the most preferred method of threading a barrel for suppressor use.

A concern that is as significant as your threads being centered on with the bore is that the shoulder (or whatever the can or mount indexes on) be square.

If the shoulder that the mount or can indexes on isn't square it wont matter if your threads are good or not.

The mount or can will pull to one side (reference the index surface not being square) causing misalignment and possibly baffle strikes.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

10-4. So dont buy the subs. . . . got it.

As far as cheaper than a 300BLK, I was quoted over a grand for the upper for a 300BLK at the SAXET gunshow this weekend. . . the guy wont even keep em in stock because he cant move em. So where, other than winning the lottery, selling my wife, selling my motorcycle, would I get the money for the 300BLK. Im not bashing the round, not by a mile. But you constantly bring it up like its THE ONLY OPTION for me.

FWIW, the AK I purchased got great reviews and the people at the distributor didnt know enough so I made phone calls to different gun stores and I had received unbiased opinions from a gun shop owner (unbiased because I told him I wasnt buying from him). He shoots his .308 can off of his AK (same model as mine) with no problem. Helps him keep the noise down and hes been happy with it. . . .

So without some phony expectation that Im trying to be as silent as a .22 short sub sonic out of a bolt gun, yes, the AK will work for what I need, although it wont be whisper quiet. . . .it sure will be a lot more quiet than without the can. ALl I was trying to do was get ahold of an AK round that would help keep it quieter. . . thats obviously not getting a lot of approval here.
As long as you know what to expect, go for it. :D

You started this thread about being quit no? The reason 300BLK came up is because it very quiet!

OK, so you talk to one gun show guy about 300 BLK. :mrgreen: Did he tell you AR15 stuff is cheap right now and all you need is to swap a barrel? Or that you can build a whole rifle for almost half that price? Or a upper for $450 or less? :mrgreen:

300BLK is new (reborn from whisper) and just getting started, someday you may be interested in it. Everyone is starting to make 300BLK guns/parts and ammo and deals sell out quick but will get cheaper and cheaper as supply catches up. (like AR stuff today)

AR barrels will start @ $160-$220 You can get a upper right now for $320 (without bolt & CG) http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-70 ... ZM4CBU300/ Reloading uses cut 223 brass and tons of common bullets and powders to choose from. Bolt guns are coming out + handy rifle ($300) Everyone will want in the game,,, you will see.

For now, get your cans and build around them. :P
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Rumnhammer wrote:NS, all this talk of non concentric factory threads on AK's had me paranoid, so yesterday I put the Die and TAT together and screwed it onto my AK. It screwed right on, and didn't even remove any of the bluing on them. So I'm assuming that my AK's threads are good to go. FWIW I also read over the weekend that the YHM Phantom mount for the AK seats against the crown instead of the barrel behind the threads, to help out with aligning the bore on AK's with threads that aren't quite up to snuf. Also when I pick my can up, I intend on making a rod the same diameter as the bore to check clearance and alignment before I put any rounds though the can. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine, but that will give me added piece of mind.

Also I too intend to get an upper for my AR in 300blk, I too would be unable to drop a grand on one, so you might want to check out Model 1. They have a basic upper in 300blk for $370, and the best thing about 300blk is that you use your normal .223 bolt and magazines. Also subsonic 300blk is reasonably priced too.

Chris Rummel

Thanks for the reply man. I dont have my new AK yet, its in transit but I do have a rod that will be turned down enough to fit the barrel and check it against the baffels when my phantom gets here. . . essentially doing the same thing you are. Im not going to chase the threads as they are going to be fine out of the box. I read on wayyyyy too many AK forums and other websites that the American made AK barrels were made with very good quality, hence the reason I bought one with an American barrel. (I hope you did too). Im going to call YHM and ask a few question I have for a Form 1 build, and may as well clarify any concerns with the phanto I have in regards to the AK.

Thanks for the heads up on the 300BLK. I wont be in the market for a little while but when the time comes I plan on making a smart purchase and getting something quality and affordable. I'll be sure to check out the site you listed. Thanks again man.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Rumnhammer wrote:you might want to check out Model 1. They have a basic upper in 300blk for $370, and the best thing about 300blk is that you use your normal .223 bolt and magazines. Also subsonic 300blk is reasonably priced too.

Chris Rummel
It best/ideal to use a new bolt, not a bolt warn to another barrel. Bolts are cheap so no reason to skimp there. (same bolt carrier ok but hassle!) :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Emilio wrote:

As long as you know what to expect, go for it. :D
Entiendes
You started this thread about being quit no? The reason 300BLK came up is because it very quiet!
Yes. Yes the 300 is quiet. . . but not a gun I own or can own right away.
OK, so you talk to one gun show guy about 300 BLK. :mrgreen: Did he tell you AR15 stuff is cheap right now and all you need is to swap a barrel? Or that you can build a whole rifle for almost half that price? Or a upper for $450 or less? :mrgreen:
No, because the gunshows down here are basically all over priced items you could find online if you shop long enough. I went to sell some stuff and found one in the whole place. The guy isnt in any hurry to lower his price on it obviously. . . everything at SAXET gunshows are outrageous in price.
300BLK is new (reborn from whisper) and just getting started, someday you may be interested in it. Everyone is starting to make 300BLK guns/parts and ammo and deals sell out quick but will get cheaper and cheaper as supply catches up. (like AR stuff today)
Im already interested in it, its a matter of what I can and cant do right now. I cant get a 300 upper. I will always be able to buy one in the future. Im planning on purchasing a .40SW can from someone (AAC possibly) first along with a form 1 build and a SBR that I need to get done before election. . . (cause Im paranoid like that).

AR barrels will start @ $160-$220 You can get a upper right now for $320 (without bolt & CG) http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-70 ... ZM4CBU300/ Reloading uses cut 223 brass and tons of common bullets and powders to choose from. Bolt guns are coming out + handy rifle ($300) Everyone will want in the game,,, you will see.
Gracias, pero no gracias. I gotta hold on and get some other stuff first. (see above)
For now, get your cans and build around them. :P
You can count on that for sure!
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Rumnhammer

Post by Rumnhammer »

Thanks for the heads up on the bolt, I'll definatly pick up a new one for the 300blk, they are cheap and I would prefer to have it matched with the barrel especially dealing with the increased pressure of shooting it suppressed.

Just eyeballed the crown and bore on the AK, and it looks ok, like I said I'll definatly be making a bore diameter rod to pass though the can and barrel to the bore before I put any rounds though it. Then I'll have more confidence with it.

Chris Rummel
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Rumnhammer wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the bolt, I'll definatly pick up a new one for the 300blk, they are cheap and I would prefer to have it matched with the barrel especially dealing with the increased pressure of shooting it suppressed.

Just eyeballed the crown and bore on the AK, and it looks ok, like I said I'll definatly be making a bore diameter rod to pass though the can and barrel to the bore before I put any rounds though it. Then I'll have more confidence with it.

Chris Rummel
You are saying there is increased pressure on the bolt that you can't use a used 556 bolt? I haven' seen anything to do with increased pressure when shooting suppressed that any standard or used 556 bolt can't handle.

The only way you will have a matched bolt is if the manufacturer of the barrel matches it at the time or chambering.