Stupid is as stupid does(check your CCW permit!)

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Stupid is as stupid does(check your CCW permit!)

Post by urban assault »

Don't be Uncle Urban.

I have carried guns for a very long time(since my teens), papered or not, but for many years I've been a good boy and been all legal and such, and had a carry permit. Permits here in Oregon are good for four years, and for some reason(don't ask me why) I thought I still had 1-1/2 years before my renewal came up.

Boy, was I EL WRONGO!!!

Going thru my wallet I looked at my card and realized that my permit had been expired for a year. Yup, I have been walking around with a gun illegally for AN ENTIRE YEAR.

After I recovered from my heart attack, I immediately started looking for a local safety class to attend so I could could get the certificate needed to show to the County Sheriff so I could get my new permit. Lo and behold, the times have certainly changed from when I first got my CCW back in the day, because I found out I was able to take an online course instead of actually sitting thru a class in person.

Hell, sign me up! :D

It was pretty decent, covered all the basics but only took about twenty minutes. It was essentially a slideshow, no questions to answer, so you couldn't fail anything. The best part was that it only cost 10 bucks, as opposed to the $35-50 of a regular 'live' class. I printed out my certificate, and dropped by the Sheriff's office the next day.

Got my mugshot and fingerprints, and signed a privacy notice that I didn't want my private information released to a newspaper(a tactic gun-grabber groups have been using in Southern Oregon which my Sheriff loathes, he's a pretty good guy) and was told it would take 4-6 weeks to receive my card in the mail.

The cost was about the same as I remember, $50 for the permit + $15 for the background check, and I was out of there in twenty minutes. Everyone in a uniform was very friendly, and there were three applicants in front of me and two-three waiting behind me.

Imagine my surprise when literally four business days later I had my new card in my hand!

:shock:

What happened to the four weeks minimum they told me to expect? I ain't grousing about it, trust me, I'm just not used to the machinery of government moving so quickly.

Anyways, I have learned a very good lesson over this whole thing and I will be paying much closer attention to renewal dates in the future.

I put myself in some real legal jeopardy by being careless, and I am usually the opposite type of person. I posted this so others could learn from my screw-up, and not be so complacent.

Cheers to y'all.

-urban
ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Stupid is as stupid does(check your CCW permit!)

Post by ick »

Do several things on EVERY birthday. Male it a habit.

Change your smoke detector batteries.
Check your driver's license expiration.
Check your passport expiration.
Check your carry permit expiration.
Decide on what firearm to purchase for yourself.
Check your ammo supply.
Clean and oil all of your weapons if it has been a while.

If you are over 40 talk to your doctor and consider a litany of tests you should have completed on a consistent basis.
-----
Ick
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

What I like is here in Fla. they send you a renewal notice, ours is good for four years also.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

Hush wrote:What I like is here in Fla. they send you a renewal notice, ours is good for four years also.
I have a Virginia (5yrs) and a Florida (7yrs). Did something change Hush that I'm not aware of?

Oh, and excellent post Urban and Ick. Don't want to get caught with your pants around your ankles. That would certainly suck after having made every conscientious effort to be legal.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Bugzy wrote:
Hush wrote:What I like is here in Fla. they send you a renewal notice, ours is good for four years also.
I have a Virginia (5yrs) and a Florida (7yrs). Did something change Hush that I'm not aware of?

Oh, and excellent post Urban and Ick. Don't want to get caught with your pants around your ankles. That would certainly suck after having made every conscientious effort to be legal.
Your correct, I had to dig out my wallet ( Don't carry it as I go nowhere), its 7 years.
Was it 4 years before that? For some reason 4 yrs. sticks in my mind and it can't be my D.L. that's good for 20 yrs. can you believe they issued me a 20 yr. D.L. last year when I was 75, optimistic weren't they.
CrazyDoc
Silent But Deadly

Post by CrazyDoc »

It used to be four years then it got changed to seven. Damn hush your getting old. But i will say the only news i hear about is from you on here lol.

Toole
"If hooking a cat up to a car battery will help cure cancer, I have one thing to tell you. Red is positive and black is negative.

I will say no more."
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

CrazyDoc wrote:It used to be four years then it got changed to seven. Damn hush your getting old. But i will say the only news i hear about is from you on here lol.

Toole
Thanks, glad to know I ain't going nuts with the 4 yr thing. :)
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

I'd respond but I don't talk to felons.

Just kidding. :mrgreen: