Tasered woman vegetable, cop cleared of wrong doing....

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Tasered woman vegetable, cop cleared of wrong doing....

Post by ick »

kapkanimd wrote:The reality is that there is a clear danger beyond less than lethal force with the use of tazers and I disagree in their use in situations that do not warrant the possibility of someone dying or something like this situation because of it.

With that kind of general rule how can you expect the police to function? Something could result in harm therefore it cannot be considered an option? Seems to me that the risk of injury is far outweighed by the usefulness of the tool.
-----
Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

kapkanimd wrote:...The only part I am even discussing is the tazer being deployed on a non-violent person running away (Handcuffed on top of it)...
I admire your stick-to-itness. The subject female precipitated the event. No matter what or how the re-capture was managed, there was a high probability of some level of injury.

And I'm guessing if the 280 lb. (?) cop had made a physical take down, he would have ended up on top of her. Likely result, a concrete face plant with the likelihood of similar head trauma injury, and at least some body part becoming crushed or broken.

Just a note, to add to her continued poor decision making record, she engaged in an attempt to escape from custody, now making the subject female a felon.

Felon's attempted escape prevented by taser deployment.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

Why is she running? Why is she handcuffed? Why does that officer keep yelling at me? He is not my daddy! He is not the boss of me! Come to think of it I , don't want to be under arrest! This is the problem with our society today. No one wants to be told that they can't do something or called out for doing something wrong! People act out from a life time of acting out and not being put in check! I for one am tired of people like this op complaining about tasers! The taser is one of the best things to come along EVER! You clearly have never had to apprehend/ detain someone! When a officer tells you to do something just fucking do it. There is always time to file a complaint and lawyer up later but when the s--t is happening shut your mouth and obey! I know that is tough for someone of this generation to understand but that just brings me back to my first point! Stop being a whiney bitch and follow direction once you have stepped out of line and been called on it.
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I'm sorry this woman ended up in a vegitative state. I do think that the Tazer is often over used and often used inapropriately. That out of the way, I don't think the Tazer was the wrong option in this case. If he'd tackled her and broke her back, the question would have been "why didn't he Taze her?"

When someone in custody attempts an escape, that person should be considered exceedingly dangerous. Most people don't try to escape after they are cuffed. When someone does, it does and should set off alarm bells. Maybe the escapee is just stupid (this case) maybe the escapee is a hard core killer. Which hypothesis would you bet your life on? Catching a runner is indeed betting your life because someone with the balls to escape may well likely be the runner with the balls to kill a cop. Did the frisk miss a compact pistol? Is she running to get the room to draw it? Or is she just a stupid tweaker? Maybe both.

With all the cases you can find of a$$h@les Tazering a grandma or Tazing someone who is on the ground again and again to teach them a lesson (not making that one up, vid is circulating of such a cop taught lesson session) this case isn't the banner for the anti Tazer arguement. Plenty of cases of Tazer abuse to report. Tazing an escapee who is running isn't one of those cases, even if it does end in a tragic injury.
CrazyDoc
Silent But Deadly

Post by CrazyDoc »

I would.like to point out the taser is Less Lethal. That said i have been tased 7 times and the worst i have to show is two small scars. Also if you are not a Cop,Deputy, or CO stay in your line. The taser when deployed right is MUCH better than having to gofull hands on with someone. If the Officer had gone hands on i;e ran and did a take down (read football tackle) she would be hurt just the same. In this case she hit her head damn her bad luck. Don't run from the cops and don't do drugs. How hard is that to understand? I'm on light duty due to going hands on with a crackhead whi thouht it would be a good idea to sucker punch me. Now would a taser have stopped it? No, I was sucker punched. But could it have helped yes because he didn't want to stop even when told. Who would have thought... All that to say the taser is MUCH better than having to damn near beat someone to get them to stop. Now id you've never been in the shoes step back out of them and stay in your lane. Get over the fact that moat people are shitbags.

Toole
"If hooking a cat up to a car battery will help cure cancer, I have one thing to tell you. Red is positive and black is negative.

I will say no more."
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Lets say the cop didn't taze her... and a young, thin, attractive, half-doped up woman is running handcuffed through the streets of Florida, next to a highway... what would have been the result?

Title: Woman, handcuffed and helpless, sexually assaulted by homeless man after escaping from cops.
Subtitle: Cops are negligent for putting her in harms way.

Title: Cops allow Woman, handcuffed, helpless, and known to be under the influence of drugs to run onto highway into traffic.
Subtitle: Cops are negligent for putting her in harms way.
-----
Ick
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

She fell like a sack o potatoes.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

If a sack of potatoes could pull off a half pirouette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

LOL
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

Not to bring up any arguments, but the same Trooper from this incident has been involved in a shooting today.. The fact that they have not given any details so far and it happened 19hrs ago has me suspecting its fishy circumstances. Story:

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/ba ... ots_s.html
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

ETA: Articles related to the previous link say the man in the cemetery was in possession of a motorcycle emitting a LoJack signal, a couple articles say the man was armed. All just media swill with very little in the form of official statements so far.

He had no choice, they took his tazer away after he shocked the hand cuff slipping dope smoker.

http://www.myspace.com/xoxotrap_starxox ... s/22166737

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/ba ... e%20tasing
fuk3d ^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/ba ... ry_ow.html

I am not anti-cop, but I think a lot of people can agree there are a lot of bad apple cops out there and I am pretty sure this is one of them.
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

kapkanimd wrote:Not to bring up any arguments, but the same Trooper from this incident has been involved in a shooting today.. The fact that they have not given any details so far and it happened 19hrs ago has me suspecting its fishy circumstances. Story:

Not me... a different "Trooper". My shooting was done with a couple of British servicemembers a week ago at a local indoor shooting range. That I know of, no one was hurt. Although both of the servicemembers commented on minor bruising near their shoulder. Honestly, the only reason I even bring the RFB to the indoor range is for the reactions of the shooters in the other lanes. That muzzle-brake is rather boisterous.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

TROOPER wrote:
kapkanimd wrote:Not to bring up any arguments, but the same Trooper from this incident has been involved in a shooting today.. The fact that they have not given any details so far and it happened 19hrs ago has me suspecting its fishy circumstances. Story:

Not me... a different "Trooper". My shooting was done with a couple of British servicemembers a week ago at a local indoor shooting range. That I know of, no one was hurt. Although both of the servicemembers commented on minor bruising near their shoulder. Honestly, the only reason I even bring the RFB to the indoor range is for the reactions of the shooters in the other lanes. That muzzle-brake is rather boisterous.
A muzzle-brake on an RFB is a bit of a mustache scorcher isn't it?
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:A muzzle-brake on an RFB is a bit of a mustache scorcher isn't it?
It seems like it would be, but the vents direct perpendicular to the barrel, and don't attempt to sweep it back. Plus, with no ejection port to throw grit into your face, its a pretty sweet setup....

... if you can get past the bone-jarring, vision-blurring, chest-pounding blast of a muzzle-brake on an 18" 308.

Honestly, the walls shake.

----------

Regarding this brain-damaged woman...
Tasers are more humane than billy-clubs and saps. We see this nonsense all the time where the cops are second-guessed for following procedure. They also get harrangued for tazing kids instead of "wrestling them to the ground". I have no doubt that the average cop can effectively, physically subdue the average 9-year-old. That said, I also have no doubt that these sorts of confrontations result in dislocated shoulders, broken fingers, and cops getting bit. The whole taser thing got started as a way to be nicer to perpetrators, not to make cops' jobs easier.

The point I'm driving at is, these practices and procedures morphed into existence because of social and legal forces. Like a law professor once told me, "Every law, no matter how dumb, happened because some event somewhere happened and it pissed off someone who could make a law against it." This... tazing... it is the logical result of everything that led up to it.

The cop did the right thing. It sucks that this is the result, but his actions are without fault... especailly considering however many botched police-perpetrator encounters before this that led up to this policy.

You want to make a policy that makes it safer for perpetrators? How can you protect stupid people from themselves? Are you going to suggest a ban on soda-pop in containers greater than 16 ounces for the good of the people? There is nothing good down the road you are contemplating. More restrictions are precisely what put that tazer into the cops hand and made it good legal practice to use it. Creating even more codified procedure isn't the answer.

Anyway, clearly you are more concerned about this female's safety than she was about her own. And as Jupiterdraft so wisely pointed out, this outcome is the result of a hundred poor decisions, the vast majority of which were made by the female herself. Flame me all you want, but she owes that cop an apology for putting this emotional burden on him - not the other way around.