Walther PPS Issues...

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Walther PPS Issues...

Post by DoctorSolo »

After a couple hundred rounds I have decided that the Walther PPS is a POS. First hundred rounds or so went ok but the slide would not lock back on the last shot. I had decided the cause was my high thumb hold, and I was holding the stop down. Since this is more of a "bang bang, get away, help, police!" kind of gun than a real sidearm I wasn't too bothered. I dont carry spare mags so I chalked it up as an idiosyncrasy rather than a defect. I decided to finish the break-in and go from there. As long as I could dump the first 6 rounds into a tennis ball across the room, great.

Well, after another box of ammo the slide began to lock back after every round. I figured that I was trying to compensate for the previous issue too much, and now I was hovering over the slide stop instead of riding it. Perhaps my thumbs were now nudging it up. Well that sucks! The damn thing doesn't work for me either way! It's time to sell it.

Well, I figured out why the slide is locking back after every shot unless I hold the slide stop down now. It turns out this gun was just fucking with my head. After the first couple of boxes of ammo, the small slide-stop return spring must have snapped! I'm a little pissed it took me this long to figure it out, but I could swear I was causing it to fail to lock back on an empty magazine, so to fix that I started causing it to lock back every round by changing my grip! Nope, the damn thing just broke a spring and it sucks ass so much it decided to screw with my head for a while.

I only discovered this after doing a thorough cleaning before (I was going to) take some pics and post it for sale. The slide stop moves freely up and down, and it appears that a spring dislodged from it. Well, now I don't want to sell a gun that's actually broken so I'm going to send it off for repair before I hock it for hookers and blow. Stupid Smith and Wesson's customer service line had me on hold for 15 minutes today before I had to take a call on the same phone. Dammit. I'll try again tomorrow.

All this, just after buying a DeltaPoint yesterday and finding out it's DOA and I have to send it back to Leupold for repair.

In short, BROKEN s--t SUCKS! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Re: Walther PPS Issues...

Post by rockman96 »

Yeah, s--t like that is a bit bothersome. The PPS is a fine pistol though, imo. Anything mechanical and built by human hands can fail, you just deal with it and go on. I'm betting it won't give any more trouble after it's repaired, so maybe someone will get a good deal.
Good luck with the DP, the reviews for it look good.
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

My PPS was bought as a lightly used unit. Looking at it, it probably didn't have 50 rounds on it.

I have about 600 on it now (I don't do huge defensive classes with it).

Never had a single malfunction. Always locked back when needed and never when not.

Good luck with the repair. In my previous instances interacting with S&W, they have always had excellent service.
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by LeftEyeMike »

Love my PPS in .40 I just wish there were threaded barrels for it.

Hope your turn around is quick.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

Update: It's back at S&W. Should be hearing from them this week. Apparently this is a common issue with early models and they redesigned the slide catch. Still gonna sell it once im sure its fixed.