Rookie needs info for P22, sig mosquito, 17 and 22 mag

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Rookie needs info for P22, sig mosquito, 17 and 22 mag

Post by OJB4 »

I've just started researching suppressors and obviously want to make sure I buy the right ones. Is there a silencer that can be used on a Walter P22, sig mosquito and also usable on a savage 17 HMR bolt action rifle (assuming I can have that barrel threaded)? I would also like one for my AR in 5.56/223.

Since I just found out that silencers can legally be owned I know nothing about the process of purchase other than the background check and transfer tax and to be extremely patient. Is this a process I need to begin myself or should the dealer selling the silencer be helping me with this process.

From what I've read on this site everybody seems to like the AAC element. Is this something that would work for the guns I listed.

Would anybody have any info on where I could try any out in my area? (south Louisiana)

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks
I've gotta stop this habit.
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rookie needs info for P22, sig mosquito, 17 and 22 mag

Post by John Titsworth »

We manufacture a silencer that covers all of those and weighs only 3.9 ounces and is user serviceable. You will need a 556 silencer for that caliber.

Check out the XCaliber Genesis... virtually NO NASTY first round pop out of a pistol like monocore designs.

http://www.thesilencerstore.com/index.p ... ucts_id=26
LEON54
Silent Operator

Post by LEON54 »

SWR Spectre if you can. Or SWR Spectre 2
"hands down"
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

John Titsworth wrote:We manufacture a silencer that covers all of those and weighs only 3.9 ounces and is user serviceable. You will need a 556 silencer for that caliber.

Check out the XCaliber Genesis... virtually NO NASTY first round pop out of a pistol like monocore designs.

http://www.thesilencerstore.com/index.p ... ucts_id=26

Thanks. I'll check it out.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

LEON54 wrote:SWR Spectre if you can. Or SWR Spectre 2
"hands down"

Thanks to you too. I'll look 'em up.
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

Any 22 cal silencer with a 28x½ thread can fit on all guns listed, even the AR15 ONLY when you have a 22 conversion kit installed.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Check out Landrys Guns in Morganza Louisiana. He is a great guy and will do all the paperwork for you all you have to do is sign if using a trust or sign and get your fingerprint cards, photo, and cleo sign off he makes it real easy. He has pretty decenet prices and will order anything you want. Its worth the drive over the other SOT idiots in laffy.

http://www.landrysguns.com/
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

OJB4 wrote:
LEON54 wrote:SWR Spectre if you can. Or SWR Spectre 2
"hands down"

Thanks to you too. I'll look 'em up.
SWR Spectre.....All stainless, built like a TANK. Easy to clean, disassemble and put in dip. :)
" The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second "
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

For rimfire one one of these!!! Kodiak, TL or Essence

<-----------------------

Blowback is a real issue when you put a can on..With these its not..I've got probably a dozen hosts now that have never been cleaned since threaded..The only thing I hate cleaning more than guns is screwing with individual baffles to clean..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Here is a copy-and-paste PM I sent to someone earlier.
---------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - find a class III dealer in your state. This can be as easy as doing a Google search for, "Class III dealer Ohio", or whatever state is appropriate. OR, you can ask on SilencerTalk if anyone knows of one in your area.

Step 2 - upon talking to your Class III, either go with his recommendation for manufacturer, or - my suggestion - simply ask them to order the item that you prefer.

Step 3 - either form a "Revocable Living Trust" or simply buy the item and have your Sheriff sign off on it. This part seems tricky, but it isn't. A lot of Sheriff's won't sign for these because it conflicts with whatever personal agenda that they have - some will. Call your Sheriff and ask him if he will. If he won't, then form a Trust. To form a Trust you simply go to the closest Office Max, Office Depot, or Staples and buy a legal form called "Revocable Living Trust" - it costs ~$40. Initial all 6-to-10 pages, sign the last page, then have it notarized. Now the silencer is owned by the Trust - and you own the Trust.

Why does a "Trust" work? A Sheriff is supposed to 'sign-off' on these types of purchases for only one reason. The ATF will do the background check to see if you are a felon, an illegal immigrant, or terrorist. However, if you are the subject of an investigation locally - a suspect for murder, for example - that sort of thing doesn't show up in a record since you won't have been either arrested or convicted. So the Sheriff's signature says only one thing, "This person is not under investigation". However, as stated earlier, a lot of Sheriff's won't sign it .... simply because. It sucks when that happens, but you still have the Trust route. The Trust works because the Trust is basically treated like a business entity - a person - if you will. Of course the Trust itself is incapable of committing a crime, so the Sheriff portion of this process is skipped.

Now you need to know that it cost $200 to buy one of these items ON TOP OF what you will pay for the item itself. For example, I bought an AAC Evo-9 for my 9mm GLOCK. I paid $795 for the silencer, plus a $200 tax to the ATF, plus local tax of about $50... just a regular ol' sales tax.

After submitting a check and the Form 4 application (created by the class III dealer), then you just wait. My wait time had a problem with it so it took a year. Most people's take much less time than that. Everyone's wait time is a little bit different. It will take several months to get everything done, and then it will show up at the class III dealer's business. Then you go pick it up, show ID, sign another form, then walk out. Its yours.

In summary;

1 - who is authorized to sell this to me?
2 - which one do I want?
3 - ask sheriff if he'll sign, OR establish a Trust
4 - give check to class III dealer and fill out half a page
5 - wait
6 - it arrives and you're over-joyed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Just to be clear, you need TWO silencers; one that will handle the P22, the Sig Mosquito, and the 17 HMR. Then you will need a different one for the 5.56/223. You should not shoot 22lr into a 5.56/223, nor should you shoot 5.56/223 through a silencer designed for rimfires.

People have already chimed in here on rimfire silencers. You're going to get a lot of recomendations. Rather than add one to that pile, I'll tell you that you should only make sure you get a rimfire silencer that is:

user-serviceable... that is... one that you can disassemble yourself, and clean when you want.
made of quality materials.... that is... one that preferably doesn't use aluminum in the baffles.

You might care about weight... but then... most all of the rimfire silencers are relatively small, and relatively comfortable to shoot even when hanging off the front of your P22.

I'm sure you care about the level of suppression, but as long as you go with any of the silencers already mentioned, I am certain that you will be happy with your purchase, because all of the ones listed so far are comparable to one another. Some quieter on a pistol, rifle, whatever... but all are very good.

Last point, in order to make your shots as quiet as possible, it will be necessary to use subsonic ammunition. In reality, almost any 22 pistol is going to be subsonic, so don't worry about that. The 17 HMR will never be subsonic, so you'll hear the bullet whizzing through the air... but don't be discouraged, because it will certainly be quieter with the silencer than without it.

Last, last point (sorry). If possible, try to hear a suppressed AR before you buy, just so you know what to expect.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

yamatitan wrote:Check out Landrys Guns in Morganza Louisiana. He is a great guy and will do all the paperwork for you all you have to do is sign if using a trust or sign and get your fingerprint cards, photo, and cleo sign off he makes it real easy. He has pretty decenet prices and will order anything you want. Its worth the drive over the other SOT idiots in laffy.

http://www.landrysguns.com/

Thanks for that tip on landrys. I hunt in morganza so it's no problem to head there for me. I'll look up their location. Gonna be there this weekend in fact.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

TROOPER wrote:Here is a copy-and-paste PM I sent to someone earlier.
---------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 - find a class III dealer in your state. This can be as easy as doing a Google search for, "Class III dealer Ohio", or whatever state is appropriate. OR, you can ask on SilencerTalk if anyone knows of one in your area.

Step 2 - upon talking to your Class III, either go with his recommendation for manufacturer, or - my suggestion - simply ask them to order the item that you prefer.

Step 3 - either form a "Revocable Living Trust" or simply buy the item and have your Sheriff sign off on it. This part seems tricky, but it isn't. A lot of Sheriff's won't sign for these because it conflicts with whatever personal agenda that they have - some will. Call your Sheriff and ask him if he will. If he won't, then form a Trust. To form a Trust you simply go to the closest Office Max, Office Depot, or Staples and buy a legal form called "Revocable Living Trust" - it costs ~$40. Initial all 6-to-10 pages, sign the last page, then have it notarized. Now the silencer is owned by the Trust - and you own the Trust.

Why does a "Trust" work? A Sheriff is supposed to 'sign-off' on these types of purchases for only one reason. The ATF will do the background check to see if you are a felon, an illegal immigrant, or terrorist. However, if you are the subject of an investigation locally - a suspect for murder, for example - that sort of thing doesn't show up in a record since you won't have been either arrested or convicted. So the Sheriff's signature says only one thing, "This person is not under investigation". However, as stated earlier, a lot of Sheriff's won't sign it .... simply because. It sucks when that happens, but you still have the Trust route. The Trust works because the Trust is basically treated like a business entity - a person - if you will. Of course the Trust itself is incapable of committing a crime, so the Sheriff portion of this process is skipped.

Now you need to know that it cost $200 to buy one of these items ON TOP OF what you will pay for the item itself. For example, I bought an AAC Evo-9 for my 9mm GLOCK. I paid $795 for the silencer, plus a $200 tax to the ATF, plus local tax of about $50... just a regular ol' sales tax.

After submitting a check and the Form 4 application (created by the class III dealer), then you just wait. My wait time had a problem with it so it took a year. Most people's take much less time than that. Everyone's wait time is a little bit different. It will take several months to get everything done, and then it will show up at the class III dealer's business. Then you go pick it up, show ID, sign another form, then walk out. Its yours.

In summary;

1 - who is authorized to sell this to me?
2 - which one do I want?
3 - ask sheriff if he'll sign, OR establish a Trust
4 - give check to class III dealer and fill out half a page
5 - wait
6 - it arrives and you're over-joyed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Just to be clear, you need TWO silencers; one that will handle the P22, the Sig Mosquito, and the 17 HMR. Then you will need a different one for the 5.56/223. You should not shoot 22lr into a 5.56/223, nor should you shoot 5.56/223 through a silencer designed for rimfires.

People have already chimed in here on rimfire silencers. You're going to get a lot of recomendations. Rather than add one to that pile, I'll tell you that you should only make sure you get a rimfire silencer that is:

user-serviceable... that is... one that you can disassemble yourself, and clean when you want.
made of quality materials.... that is... one that preferably doesn't use aluminum in the baffles.

You might care about weight... but then... most all of the rimfire silencers are relatively small, and relatively comfortable to shoot even when hanging off the front of your P22.

I'm sure you care about the level of suppression, but as long as you go with any of the silencers already mentioned, I am certain that you will be happy with your purchase, because all of the ones listed so far are comparable to one another. Some quieter on a pistol, rifle, whatever... but all are very good.

Last point, in order to make your shots as quiet as possible, it will be necessary to use subsonic ammunition. In reality, almost any 22 pistol is going to be subsonic, so don't worry about that. The 17 HMR will never be subsonic, so you'll hear the bullet whizzing through the air... but don't be discouraged, because it will certainly be quieter with the silencer than without it.

Last, last point (sorry). If possible, try to hear a suppressed AR before you buy, just so you know what to expect.

Thanks for that. I planned on buying three at one time. Is this advisable? Or would that create more trouble when on the examiners desk? I knowmim going to enjoy them so why wait and go through the "process" more than one time........so long as it doesn't create problems with the law then I'm ready. Already addicted to them and haven't even fired one yet!!!!! Haha.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Chondro wrote:For rimfire one one of these!!! Kodiak, TL or Essence

<-----------------------

Blowback is a real issue when you put a can on..With these its not..I've got probably a dozen hosts now that have never been cleaned since threaded..The only thing I hate cleaning more than guns is screwing with individual baffles to clean..

Which are pictured in your avatar? Sure looks cool.

Is it weird to want them all??? Every brand, model, and every gun I own to be threaded???? I can feel my wallet getting thinner every time I read posts on this site. Haha
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

That I know of, it won't add additional work to purchase multiple at a time, nor additional 'red flags' or anything like that. Nor will it make your wait longer, or shorter.