What do you think of gun stores which ban carry?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

What do you think of gun stores which ban carry?

Makes sense as some people unholster their guns.
8%
Wrong to ban carry as it weakens our case to carry elsewhere.
92%

Total votes: 263

Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Found any alternative range to join?
Unfortunately, not yet. I'm still working on it. There aren't any other over 300 ranges within 2 hours of the Day/Cinn area as best as I can tell.

MR&P is definitely of the "old school." If they didn't like my concealed handgun then I'm very sure they weren't going to approve of a suppressed SBR doing mag dumps. That's just a whole 'nuther can of worms argument that I probably won't win. I see little sense in a debate with those who've already made up their minds.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

YugoRPK wrote:How about shooting ranges that allow ONE round in a magazine. Common around here.
That doesn't even make sense. What's the idea behind that?

As far as the ranges not allowing CCW, that just sounds like a cold range to me. It's stupid that try and tie it into the CCW thing. I think that cold ranges are dumb though.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

YugoRPK wrote:How about shooting ranges that allow ONE round in a magazine. Common around here.
I hate this. I took my Garand to a range that did that. It was a pain.
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

No way, ONE round limit. You must be an expert of the art of mag swap.

I think I found this video of you on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAFxgQmxbGI
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
gunnut284

Post by gunnut284 »

In 9 years of working at a gun store I never saw an issue with a licensed CCW. Had plenty of issues with morons with "unloaded" guns. Saw several NDs, a few by employees. If a store has one of those signs I won't go there.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

I think most of the stores I go to insist on the weapon being either A) unloaded or B) holstered.

I mean, even when I'm checking out the sight picture on a weapon, I either view the sights pointing down at the floor, an unoccupied area of the store, or the ceiling. Never with the muzzle near the clerk, it's just out of respect, and I hand the weapon back to them with the barrel down.

Common sense, apparently isn't so common. Plus, another thing, Keeping your finger off the trigger is a great discipline and one of the four common sense gun safety rules, and don't dry fire somebody else's gun out of respect anyway, and if you must, at least ask them before doing so, don't treat a gun at a gun store as if it is your property.
SteveHH

Post by SteveHH »

concealed is concealed... :?
-=-Steve-=-
Levittown, PA USA
myspace.com/SteveHH
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Wicked wrote: even our instructors who are already licensed didn't and still don't carry on club property because they know that it is not safe.
Are you freaking kidding me?!?!?!

So, what makes "club property" any different from anywhere else? How does carrying on "club property" make CCing "unsafe," when they PERSONALLY do it everywhere else to make them "safer?"

Gah...
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

FUDD

Yea, when you read it, it's absurd. I don't believe the guy thought about what he was actually saying before he wrote it - or made it club policy.

Fudd: Slang term for a "casual" gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called "non sporting" firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.

"See sonny, all those assault rifles in that cabinet... all them's is good for is killin people." -Example of ignorant comment from a fudd at a gun show.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
tomahawk84
Silent But Deadly

Post by tomahawk84 »

there are local shops that say no firearms allowed... i assume it's a joke.
N/A
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

My grandpa is a member of a gun club in Texas, and they require you to clear weapons at the door. I personally think it's ridiculous. If they were concerned about people unholstering loaded weapons, they could simply put a sign at the door in front of the unloading station saying something like "Do not unholster loaded weapons without first clearing them here."
Wrench_V10
Silent Operator

Post by Wrench_V10 »

I'd find another gun store, that's just ridiculous.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Asking people to unholster and clear their guns is MUCH more dangerous than just leaving them holstered.

I was just reading the rules of the indoor range here.

No jacketed ammo, lead only.
No magnums.
5 rounds loaded only (even for revolvers that hold 6 shots).
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I have seen some bad gun handling at gun stores. We're all familiar with the phenomenon of morons being drawn to gun counters like moths to a flame. I have walked out of a few places when stupid people started doing stupid things with 'unloaded' guns. I'll just come back and do my shopping when there are fewer people there.

I have mixed fealings about the no CCW signs at gun stores. On the one hand, it shows a lack of support for concealled carry. On the other, it keeps the afore mentioned morons from posing with their heaters.

There is a store near by where I have seen lots of guys with their carry pieces finding one reason or another to show off the fact that they are packing. Stupid, stupid move.

In general, when I see a "No Weapons" sign I just ignore it. If the day goes as most days do, no one will ever know I was armed. If something worse happens, I will be lawyering up (that being the best case scenario) and the supermarket's rules will be the least of my concearns. This state has a 'shall issue' law and a track record for prosecuting and persecuting anybody who defends themself with a gun. That, again, would be after the fact.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

rsilvers wrote:Asking people to unholster and clear their guns is MUCH more dangerous than just leaving them holstered.
That's what I thought!!!
rsilvers wrote: I was just reading the rules of the indoor range here.

No jacketed ammo, lead only.
No magnums.
5 rounds loaded only (even for revolvers that hold 6 shots).
I can kinda see the point of the lead only ammo if they have cheap facilities that cant take standard jacketed stuff. Same goes for the magnums (though a hot 10mm will easily trump a .357, lol). But five shots at a time? Huh? Well, I guess at least you get to practice your reloads, and you won't burn through as much ammo...
Texas'shooten

Post by Texas'shooten »

Here in houston i think we are exempt from the sign that reads no handgun. BUT if it has language followed by tex law statute #.....or a red 51% sign then no carry. BofA sign at the front door is just a sign like any other
:lol:
MD3C
Silent Operator

Re: What do you think of gun stores which ban carry?

Post by MD3C »

ANY place that prohibits ( except the usual suspects) CCW I will not buy from/enter.
M
USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED
parkerdude

Re:

Post by parkerdude »

jlwilliams wrote:I have seen some bad gun handling at gun stores. We're all familiar with the phenomenon of morons being drawn to gun counters like moths to a flame. I have walked out of a few places when stupid people started doing stupid things with 'unloaded' guns. I'll just come back and do my shopping when there are fewer people there.

I have mixed fealings about the no CCW signs at gun stores. On the one hand, it shows a lack of support for concealled carry. On the other, it keeps the afore mentioned morons from posing with their heaters.

There is a store near by where I have seen lots of guys with their carry pieces finding one reason or another to show off the fact that they are packing. Stupid, stupid move.

In general, when I see a "No Weapons" sign I just ignore it. If the day goes as most days do, no one will ever know I was armed. If something worse happens, I will be lawyering up (that being the best case scenario) and the supermarket's rules will be the least of my concearns. This state has a 'shall issue' law and a track record for prosecuting and persecuting anybody who defends themself with a gun. That, again, would be after the fact.
Division is for math class, not for the consideration of intelligent 2nd Amendment advocates. If we whine and find reasons to split our interaction and support, that will suit us just fine.

We'll have as much to do with the decline of firearm services and merchants as the Brady bunch. Heck in a generation we won't have to "ban" our support, there won't be anywhere TO ban our support.

Cranky old men never build anything, they just sit around and grouse about what they don't like.

After being around 2 ND's, I want every loaded, concealed handgun, to stay that way.

If you don't need to shoot someone, the gun-shop/range isn't the place to "Whip it out". Keep you "weapon" and your gun in your pants, I don't want to see either.

Perhaps if we got more involved, not less, it might become obvious how difficult it is to insure a business when you can't tell the idiots from the responsible CCW licensee's. Most businesses open to the public are required to carry liability insurance by local regulations. Loose it and you business license gets revoked.

Grow up...
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I a store any store bans me from doing what I am legally allowed to do then I ban my money form being spent there. Simple. I also make a point to contact the store somehow to let them know. I have only had two such places here in Maine. The good part about Maine is even if a store has a no carry sign if your caught the only penalty is you can be asked to leave there is no criminal charge. However as I said if they do not want my money I will simply spend it elsewhere.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

Whistling Pines Gun Club in Colorado Springs has what I think is a very sensible gun policy:

Firearms may be brought into and taken out of the building only in the following manner:
• Holstered: loaded or unloaded, concealed or unconcealed. Holstered firearms may not be drawn until the club member or guest is on the firing line.
• Boxed, bagged, or otherwise completely enclosed: unloaded only.
• Unboxed, unbagged, or otherwise unenclosed firearms may not be carried in hand, loaded or unloaded, in any portion of the building. Carrying a loaded firearm in hand will result in the immediate revocation of membership.

I know a store can't have a policy of revoking membership, but something as simple as "OC, CC is fine, but keep the f'n gun in the holster" is all you need. You want to try out an accessory or a holster? Bring in your unloaded gun cased (we'll loan you a case if need be) and we'll check that it's clear before you try stuff out.

At least if I owned a shop that's what my policy would be. The last thing a gun store should do is ban carry.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by eric10mm »

silencertalk wrote:Asking people to unholster and clear their guns is MUCH more dangerous than just leaving them holstered.
I feel the exact same about Officers who feel a need to disarm a legally armed Citizen "for Officer safety" during an unrelated (to firearms) encounter.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Rob wrote:The door of my local gun shop says that concealed weapons are welcomed and encouraged.
Rob
That's a good idea. My Sign would read. "Do not handle firearms (unless given permission by staff.)"
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I still don't give a damn what your sign says.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
helomech

Post by helomech »

I personally would not do business with a gun store that flat out banned CC. I view that as being a bit hypocritical, to sell guns for CC but not allow it in your store. That being said, I totally understand and support a gun store that has certain safety rules that go along with allowing CC --- ei. Keep your concealed weapon concealed. If something like that was posted on the door, I'd have absolutely NO problem with complying. Either way, unless the restriction is posted properly (following TX. law with the proper 30-06 sign), I ignore the signs anyway. If legally posted, I'll avoid doing business with ANY business that prohibits CC. My 2 cents worth.