Just try to beat this one: 9 mm UZI (and more ...)

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Re: Just try to beat this one: 9 mm UZI (and more ...)

Post by LavaRed »

I personally don't have much of a selection of hosts and calibers I admit. The closest I can come up with is my afore-posted Ithaca in .45ACP with 5.5" threaded barrel. I hope I can still be allowed, tho I do humbly believe that suppressing a full-power .45 ACP round dry (I was shooting US Military issue ball on that one) and indoors at night I am upping the ante for myself?

Thank you all for your consideration,
LavaRed
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Some rule changes are in order.

Suppressors must be of the competitors design and built by them or another in their country.

All barrel lengths are legal

All calibers are legal but will be judged against the same caliber with the same host weapons(bolt,semi,full)and model.MP-5 to MP-5 etc

Wet can vs wet can, dry vs dry ,integral vs integral etc.

Your choice of test area

A standard test must be followed for fairness.
this is yet to be determined but it must be fair to allow different climates

I propose a prize be given Like a title to be displayed on this forum.
Master Suppressor Designer (.223 class) 2012

This is to allow everybody to play.
A db test would be great but that may be impossible for our friends overseas.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Capt. Link. wrote:Some rule changes are in order.

Suppressors must be of the competitors design and built by them or another in their country.

All barrel lengths are legal

All calibers are legal but will be judged against the same caliber with the same host weapons(bolt,semi,full)and model.MP-5 to MP-5 etc

Wet can vs wet can, dry vs dry ,integral vs integral etc.

Your choice of test area

A standard test must be followed for fairness.
this is yet to be determined but it must be fair to allow different climates

I propose a prize be given Like a title to be displayed on this forum.
Master Suppressor Designer (.223 class) 2012

This is to allow everybody to play.
A db test would be great but that may be impossible for our friends overseas.
Indeed. My db meter needs to be re-calibrated all the time and is only really reliable for comparisons between suppressors using the same meter. I wouldn't use it as a reliable comparison to professional metering equipment.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

We also need ammunition standards as well, since handloads won't compare to factory loads at all and there are too too many variables with handloads.

We would however need to set host parameters since a 5" 22lr compared to a 16" won't be valid. This is why sound testing is so varying in results.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

If you manage to shut your Radars down for a minute, I’ll be there. :wink:

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

If you manage to shut your Radars down for a minute, I’ll be there. :wink:

Best,

Paul
Radars?
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

RADAR: A system for detecting the presence, direction, distance, and speed of aircraft, ships, and other objects, by sending out pulses of ... (Google for more)

I already have my brand new Green Card but not sure my Guns and Cans are welcome there.

Best,

Paul
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

RADAR: A system for detecting the presence, direction, distance, and speed of aircraft, ships, and other objects, by sending out pulses of ... (Google for more)

I already have my brand new Green Card but not sure my Guns and Cans are welcome there.

Best,

Paul
Radar is really relevant to this discussion. :?:
LP
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Bendersquint wrote:We also need ammunition standards as well, since handloads won't compare to factory loads at all and there are too too many variables with handloads.

We would however need to set host parameters since a 5" 22lr compared to a 16" won't be valid. This is why sound testing is so varying in results.
I agree. I'm shooting standard issue .45 ACP U.S. Army ball in my can (the one that comes in plain cardboard boxes). The closest civillian factory loads I have found (in terms of sound and feel) is Aguila 230gr. ball. But .45ACP ball loads seem to be extremely consistent between manufacturers.

If you're going to compare .22lr suppressors there will be a LOT of variance between manufacturers and loads. I can't acquire subsonic or even standard velocity .22lr here (yet ;), but I'm currently shooting 36gr Concorde HP's, which is the HV ammo I have found comes closest to standard velocity.

Again I have only two suppressors I can use for a test for these, and only one host (3.5" long Beretta 70). But I'm always up for it if I can be allowed.

I could try shooting my MP40 with a very old flat-washer suppressor and 115gr. standard issue WWII German Army ball, but it will be very loud even when packed with grease. Plus that German ammo is very piercing, so my mother might not take the full-auto or the holes in the wall or lawn very kindly. :oops:
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

OK, no Radar; question:

How are internationals supposed to attend the contest ?. Or is it just a USA only contest ?

Best,

Paul
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

All of this can be sorted out. I did think of barrel lengths that is why comparable weapons must be used.I know Lava has only a few weapons and others don't have a long barreled 9mm so we divide up in classes.A .22 inch .22LR is much quieter than a 16" and a 3" .22LR pistol is unfair against a 22" barrel.In the states here a standard ammo can be selected like Remington subsonic HPs a impartial meter test would be great but it would not accommodate people outside the US.

How stiff a competition do you wish. I will go as far as no commercial baffle designs unless you designed them.That would leave out Ks, omegas,step cones etc and include only original thought to prove your prowess.A panel of judges would evaluate.Now that would be competitive.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

OK, so how can i be on the competition?. Whatever rules you set are fine for me as long as they are doable in terms of proving.

Best,

Paul
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Capt. Link. wrote:All of this can be sorted out. I did think of barrel lengths that is why comparable weapons must be used.I know Lava has only a few weapons and others don't have a long barreled 9mm so we divide up in classes.A .22 inch .22LR is much quieter than a 16" and a 3" .22LR pistol is unfair against a 22" barrel.In the states here a standard ammo can be selected like Remington subsonic HPs a impartial meter test would be great but it would not accommodate people outside the US.

How stiff a competition do you wish. I will go as far as no commercial baffle designs unless you designed them.That would leave out Ks, omegas,step cones etc and include only original thought to prove your prowess.A panel of judges would evaluate.Now that would be competitive.
OK, so no commercial baffle designs, what about your own variants of 'commercial' designs as long as its most definitely you design?

This is going to be a competition between like 4 people anyways unless people want to file Form1's or we have this competition running for years.

We also need to pick A caliber since we can end up with 9 different calibers, 75 different platforms etc.....easy to win a competition if there is noone going against you.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

What about a Designs competition, where everybody can be part of, and all Designs are submitted to the Jury anonymously with a ticket (to identify the owner) ?

The Jury will be composed of Shops (ie. Manufacturers, 07/02, …) and the contest is only for individuals with new and innovative Designs. No old stuff, no variants.

We just have to set up a standard format for the Designs and ALL Designs will be Public Domain (participants only) after the competition.

Best,

Paul
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

stop trying to compete and make a can worth something. damn.
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Afraid of losing ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best,

Paul
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

I can make a pretty darn cool looking design but until its made and tested its nothing but a demonstration of my understanding of SolidWorks.

I say we stick with the original idea that Capt Link has been talking about, if you can't fabricate it you can't be involved.

Submissions accepted by the person making chips ONLY.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

OK, so you are basically closing the doors to potential competitors out of USA.

Right ?. If it’s that way, I’m fine; it’s your competition and that’s it. I did ask for that info before.

Best,

Paul
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

OK, so you are basically closing the doors to potential competitors out of USA.

Right ?. If it’s that way, I’m fine; it’s your competition and that’s it. I did ask for that info before.

Best,

Paul
You can do it, just YOU must make the design, YOU must make the chips, YOU must do the video.

Anyone outside the US won't be able to get it tested thats all. That is if we even do controlled testing which is probably not possible.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I am perfectly willing to compete with HV .22LR against SV .22LR if necessary. Pistol-to-pistol, for sure.
And I'm willing to let my .45ACP pistol can be compared to 9mm suppressors. I'm confident that, while not the quietest, it is a fair comparison, for both calibers.
I don't mind being put against manufacturers either, as I'm pretty sure at least the .45ACP can stay there up with the top tier. The .22LR might not be top-tier against commercial designs as I already have two better designs in the process of being built. But I trust it is quite capable, regardless. I mean, I shoot it indoors in my room all the time, with little noise and few ill-effects save the lead.
After all, I'm just looking to feed my ego here.

And while I'm at this ego-feeding project, if you all want my personal opinion, I'd say we have two categories: .22LR pistol, and centerfire pistol (9mm and .45ACP). I think these are the two easiest to procure and use for nearly everyone (not just for me), and are also the most challenging for a Form 1'er. (more blowback, more FRP, getting pistols to cycle, etc.).
Now, I totally do not mean to sound arrogant, but, in my honest opinion, almost anyone with a basic understanding of suppression (i.e. anyone on this forum) should be able to design a decent suppressor for a rifle in pistol caliber (.22LR or 9mm carbine, etc.); at least one that won't scare all the birds away. Designing for a pistol, that's the real challenge. That's the real test for any suppressor designer. Note that I am not talking about centerfire rifles in "rifle" calibers, as that is a whole other level of genius and I can't really speak of it, never having had access to subsonic ammunition for rifle suppressors and thus not having developed as storng an interest in rifle suppressors as I have in pistol suppressor. But I digress.

I say, if you all gentlemen are willing to let me, that I dare place my .45 ACP suppressor against 9mm suppressors, and my .22LR pistol suppressor with HV ammo against .22LR pistol suppressors with SV ammo, and consider it to be fair. And I agree that the best panel of judges would be manufacturers both large and small, if they are willing. People like Bender, Captain Link, and people working for the large manufacturers are, in my opinion, the best judges.

That is all.

Thank you for listening,
LavaRed
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

I can make the Design, I can make the Chips and I can do the Video. No problem.

Now:

What Camera should I use?
How are you going to compare Audio (Shots ¿?¿?¿?)?
How do I keep privacy on all this?
How do you guarantee equal opportunities for all of us?
How are you going to control the rules?

I’d like to be in (if you allow me) but I’d like to compete on a fair basis.

Best,

Paul
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Afraid of losing ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best,

Paul
no sir. im not here to compete with little league
NP
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Good to know, SuperMan.

Best,

Paul
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

OK, it’s been more than 24 hours since I posted the Vid.

Beside the “TONTOlaba” that posted the CCCP Ladies Video, nobody else was able to beat that Can.

The challenge is still open.

Just try to beat this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0e4saNzf4Y

Best,

Paul
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

OK, it’s been more than 24 hours since I posted the Vid.

Beside the “TONTOlaba” that posted the CCCP Ladies Video, nobody else was able to beat that Can.

The challenge is still open.

Just try to beat this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0e4saNzf4Y

Best,

Paul
What abt my .45 tho :( . I feel ignored now mate. :( :(