Worst Design Ever

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Worst Design Ever

Post by Capt. Link. »

I never mentioned your name in this post the op never mentioned your name either.You asked me a question and I answered it in private away from public eyes.
You all by your self opened up your mouth and stuck your foot in it.
You have no one to blame but your self for selling ideas that have not been tested.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Capt. Link. wrote:I never mentioned your name in this post the op never mentioned your name either.You asked me a question and I answered it in private away from public eyes.
You all by your self opened up your mouth and stuck your foot in it.
You have no one to blame but your self for selling ideas that have not been tested.
Well put Capt. Link!

+100
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

Enfield577 wrote:I find it interesting that some of the better designers/manufacturers here share their designs for free and some others seek to charge
Agree and to that fact the folks who post designs free obviously have nothing to hide like bad design and craftsmanship. Honestly why would you risk your health or others being stupid when there are plenty of good free designs and most importantly good advice rite here. Maybe it's just me and my thought for the betterment of all involved and interested. We are all supposed to be on the same page here rite? Well that starts by first reading from the same book. I assue you the first person seriously injured or killed from backyard silencersmithing will raise eyebrows. We should be more in line with banding together to protect that which we hold sacred. We love being able to build and own them rite? what happens when folks get hurt do I need to tell you. History has proven the results. OK getting off my rant now thanx for listening

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

epicdoom wrote:
Enfield577 wrote:I find it interesting that some of the better designers/manufacturers here share their designs for free and some others seek to charge
Agree and to that fact the folks who post designs free obviously have nothing to hide like bad design and craftsmanship. Honestly why would you risk your health or others being stupid when there are plenty of good free designs and most importantly good advice rite here. Maybe it's just me and my thought for the betterment of all involved and interested. We are all supposed to be on the same page here rite? Well that starts by first reading from the same book. I assue you the first person seriously injured or killed from backyard silencersmithing will raise eyebrows. We should be more in line with banding together to protect that which we hold sacred. We love being able to build and own them rite? what happens when folks get hurt do I need to tell you. History has proven the results. OK getting off my rant now thanx for listening

Joe
People HAVE been hurt with home silencersmithing. More often than you would think, I have seen plenty of pictures of what happens when you do this on your own and when you take untested design advice as well.

I have seen everything from blown 22lr to split 223's to a bown in half 50BMG can, all Form1's.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

All night waiting but finally i got the archives for 2011:

1) Found the name of the guy, the order and all related details.
2) He bought a Custom design for .308WM based on OMEGA Baffles.
3) The Can was designed to use the existing Tubing he had (outer Tube and the Tubing for the OMEGA spacers): 10.75 x 1.75
4) The Design was delivered on 04/13/2011.
5) REQUEST 1: On 04/21/2011 I did send a new OMEGA Baffle with different outer Cones shape (like a Golf ball).
6) REQUEST 2: On 07/04/2011 I did send a Stepped Cone that will fit into the existing Can (replacing just the upper side of the OMEGAS).

Despite the terrible Machining, what is shown is the Pics is not even close to what I sent to him: Some similarities on the rear cap. That’s all.

Since I designed the first OMEGA Can for .308WM, I have made 6 different versions (shapes), 28 revisions to the model (last one is dated on February, 2012) and have sold 589 copies of the Blue Prints. Additionally, I have made 176 Custom models based also in OMEGAS. That’s for .308WM and OMEGAS.

The different revisions of the 3D model as well as the original drawings (the one sold) are coming. I just have the PDF’s right now. In the meantime, if you have any question; feel free to ask.

Best,

Paul
The future is not waiting for us, it is waiting within us ...
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

That hacked-up mess looks like it was built in a cow shed in Chechnya.

FAIL.

-urban
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

so are you saying 650+ people have paid you for this s--t?
NP
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

delta9mda wrote:so are you saying 650+ people have paid you for this s--t?
Thats a scary way to put it but true. I need names and address wanna make sure none are next to me on the range.
urban assault wrote:That hacked-up mess looks like it was built in a cow shed in Chechnya.

FAIL.

-urban
LMAO ok thats to funny. Mind if I borrow that from time to time?

I have not personaly heard of anyone dying or injured from Cow shed suppressors and dont recall ever hearing anything like that on local news so I suspect most cases are under the carpet reports. Like my gun barrel had dirt in it or something causing it to blow up and injur me. I do believe if a lot of bad press got out in reports of failed suppressor buildsthat would be a black eye for folks who do it rite. It's the nature of the beast we are all judged on the actions of a few. I take it personaly since I risked my life to fight for this country to preserve the rights and freedoms we have. I have no use for folks who jeperdize that.

It's easier to do things rite then to try and cover them up with more s--t when you dont.

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

epicdoom wrote:
Thats a scary way to put it but true. I need names and address wanna make sure none are next to me on the range.
urban assault wrote:That hacked-up mess looks like it was built in a cow shed in Chechnya.

FAIL.

-urban

I have not personaly heard of anyone dying or injured from Cow shed suppressors and dont recall ever hearing anything like that on local news so I suspect most cases are under the carpet reports. Like my gun barrel had dirt in it or something causing it to blow up and injur me. I do believe if a lot of bad press got out in reports of failed suppressor buildsthat would be a black eye for folks who do it rite. It's the nature of the beast we are all judged on the actions of a few. I take it personaly since I risked my life to fight for this country to preserve the rights and freedoms we have. I have no use for folks who jeperdize that.

It's easier to do things rite then to try and cover them up with more s--t when you dont.

Joe

What range would ever want to have that information put out? Negligent discharges happen all the time and you don't hear about it on the news. We have had a couple in the last year here and nothing at all about it in the media.

Some of the pictures I have of form1 suppressors are unbelievable with corners cuts, lots of poor judgement, even worse advice, terrible designs. About 50% or more are purchased silencer prints.
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

epicdoom wrote:

FAIL.

-urban

I have not personally heard of anyone dying or injured from Cow shed suppressors and don't recall ever hearing anything like that on local news so I suspect most cases are under the carpet reports. Like my gun barrel had dirt in it or something causing it to blow up and injure me. I do believe if a lot of bad press got out in reports of failed suppressor builds that would be a black eye for folks who do it rite. It's the nature of the beast we are all judged on the actions of a few. I take it personally since I risked my life to fight for this country to preserve the rights and freedoms we have. I have no use for folks who jeopardize that.

It's easier to do things rite then to try and cover them up with more s--t when you don't.

Joe
I hereby bequeath the term 'Cow shed suppressors from Chechnya' and any variation thereof to you.

:D

-urban
Last edited by urban assault on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Bendersquint wrote:
epicdoom wrote:

FAIL.

-urban

Joe

What range would ever want to have that information put out? Negligent discharges happen all the time and you don't hear about it on the news. We have had a couple in the last year here and nothing at all about it in the media.

Some of the pictures I have of form1 suppressors are unbelievable with corners cuts, lots of poor judgement, even worse advice, terrible designs. About 50% or more are purchased silencer prints.
A deficient suppressor design can result in grave injuries. Not too long ago I busted my wrist and was unable to use it for weeks while testing one of my designs. I say it without embarrasment because it was simply a small engineering mistake which I soon corrected, and no one was harmed. I usually thoroughly test my designs before even sharing my prints on here. But on that ocassion I made the mistake of changing some things without fully considering the effects on all parts of the design, something which I'm sure happens to everyone.
As an industrial engineer by training, I believe that it is better to overengineer a suppressor in every way; however, I always consider the costs and all my designs are designed for mass production as well, as part of the challenge. For that I have to thank my machinist, because very often when I take my designs to him he will point out things that are too complicated or expensive, and which I will then go back to change or optimise accordingly.
But someone can be killed by an exploding or flying suppressor from a defective design, for sure. The liabilities to the designer are quite enormous.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

SRI I think you missunderstood my post brother I was wanting to know who has those suppressors built on that design so I can AVOID the ranges those folks may use.
I think taking the time to do the proper testing as you do and your willingness to publicly say hey I made a boo boo on this or that but we have it worked out now speaks volumes. It's the total lack of R&D with thorough testing I cant get my head around. Why would anyone put something on a public place for anyone to see that you cant stand behind 110%.

Like I said anyone with cad and a computer make drawings and sell them, whats more anyone with a computer and cash can buy those drawings. The sadest part is the unknowing purchaser of those drawings expect its a tried and true design With R&D and testing, some will inquire about the design most will not. Being a Machinest mechanic I see things that are way overengineered at least once a week. A nightmare to work on maybe, but I totaly agree with the concept. You probably have to carry liability insurance the cost of that is directly in line with rogue wanna be I think I can designers with no more thought in there head then to make a stinking buck without one ounce of thought as to who may be purchasing it or if they have the means to create it as its designed. And the sell the junk without ever even making one for themselves let alone testing it. These people are a black eye to you someone who takes the time, who cares if its safe and its a risk to your bussiness as well as our rights and freedom to own such devices. My guess is no one important enough has been hurt yet for it to get media coverage let that happen and see where it all stands. I hope it never does happen but the fact is for every sale from those only looking to make a quick buck that chance increases.

I get it if you take plans off the internet and build something that ultimatly injures or worse kills you, you assume responsibility for the action. That doesnt make it any better for folks doing things the rite way. its a sad fact we are all judged for the actions of a few. I at some point would like to ask permission to copy your baffle design into my own form1 can. I have done the research and your reputation is well know for quailty and proven design. I want to make sure by checking all designs that Ill find whats rite for my needs.

Joe
Semper Fi
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Urban, my man, you have entered into my pantheon of brilliant, witty,
and verbal phrase crafters in the English language with your kick-in-the-gut
hilarious:

"That hacked-up mess looks like it was built in a cow shed in Chechnya."

I freely point to plans that must be required to accompany every offering by any 'designer' of
suppressor plans:

http://cottagelife.com/14313/diy/projec ... ct-privy-3

Let us vote on catchy ads for such plans. My first offering would be:

"My Plans. For CANS that are built like a BRICK Suppressor". :) :)

[ Farm boys will remember the actual phrase. ]
clevis hitch

Post by clevis hitch »

So what is an industrial engineer? I am a mechanical engineering student and I'm not sure where industrial engineer falls in line with schooling. Is it some sort of alternate schools two year program? Those can be great starter programs but to pass that off as a fully qualified engineer is in the least a moral infraction and at the most out-right fraud. The suppressor design I am working on is being drawn in solid works and we are running an analysis to determine pressure and gas flow. It will have most of its problems worked out before ever being built. When i finish I will run a motion study with finite element analysis and make an mpeg and post it to YouTube and put a link on here.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

clevis hitch wrote:So what is an industrial engineer? I am a mechanical engineering student and I'm not sure where industrial engineer falls in line with schooling. Is it some sort of alternate schools two year program? Those can be great starter programs but to pass that off as a fully qualified engineer is in the least a moral infraction and at the most out-right fraud. The suppressor design I am working on is being drawn in solid works and we are running an analysis to determine pressure and gas flow. It will have most of its problems worked out before ever being built. When i finish I will run a motion study with finite element analysis and make an mpeg and post it to YouTube and put a link on here.
Lava Red is one of the smartest young men I have ever known and his prowess with suppressor design puts most of us to shame.I have no doubt he will make his mark in the world as a engineer and do great things in his country.The simulations and analysis comes up short and in part is the reason for this post real life testing trumps any computer program.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
clevis hitch

Post by clevis hitch »

Don't get me wrong. There are Lot of guys out there who own and run small shops and are machinists and who put out great products. But those guys don't try to pass themselves off as engineers. I guess thats what I take umbrage with. Trying to say you're something you're not and then to dupe someone into giving you money based off of that false statement. I'm not a engineer even though I'm in school to be one, nor am I trying to pass myself off as one. I'm not a machinists, and im not trying to pass myself off as one. I don't own a suppressor but I put in a form one and am going to build one. At this point I am just a layman. Just like most of you(to varying degrees)(pun intended). It seems like the design in question is suspect. If his plans were not followed. I would give up the design to save my reputation. I would also give the customer back his money and get a non-disclosure statement and a affidavit stating that the design was not properly implemented and that was the reason for the catastrophic failure as a condition of returning the money...at least that's what I'd do. Because at this point it looks like the design was flawed and the guy got his money taken under false assurances.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

clevis hitch wrote:Don't get me wrong. There are Lot of guys out there who own and run small shops and are machinists and who put out great products. But those guys don't try to pass themselves off as engineers. I guess thats what I take umbrage with. Trying to say you're something you're not and then to dupe someone into giving you money based off of that false statement. I'm not a engineer even though I'm in school to be one, nor am I trying to pass myself off as one. I'm not a machinists, and im not trying to pass myself off as one. I don't own a suppressor but I put in a form one and am going to build one. At this point I am just a layman. Just like most of you(to varying degrees)(pun intended). It seems like the design in question is suspect. If his plans were not followed. I would give up the design to save my reputation. I would also give the customer back his money and get a non-disclosure statement and a affidavit stating that the design was not properly implemented and that was the reason for the catastrophic failure as a condition of returning the money...at least that's what I'd do. Because at this point it looks like the design was flawed and the guy got his money taken under false assurances.
Your integrity and astuteness shines through. You shall be most successful in life.
I have been known to be a scary judge of talent in my past incarnation.

Best and a most successful career!
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I am most certainly NOT passing myself off falsely as an engineer. In my country, at least, Industrial Engineering is a full five-year engineering program. Basically what an Industrial Engineer does is design the complete process for, well, anything. We are trained in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, construction engineering, electrical engineering, programming, process engineering and design, quality control, CAD/CAM, and finances and economics. I did take several courses in thermodanymacs, fluid dynamics, materials science, manufacturing, construction, inorganic and organic chemistry, electrical installations, electronics, mechatronics, two programming courses with a focus on python, a LOT of maths, investing, accounting, finances and economics, etc. We even took a few courses in biology and environmentalism, to be able to asess the environmental impact of whatever project we were setting up. And all of these courses had practical projects involved to test our knowledge in the real world, and not merely confine it to theory. We even had one full course devoted to learning to design and operate CAD/CAM equipment, tho I admit that I did not pay as much attention to the manufacturing side as I did to the design side. But I can easily refresh my mind and actually cut chips if I needed to, I'll just not be as good as a dedicated machinist.
An industrial engineer is the one that, while not as in-depth knowledgeable in any individual field as the specialist for said field, can step in and do their job at any moment, o simply act as a supervisor and coordinator for all fields. We're also supposed to be able to design and build any industrial process and the facilities for carrying out, as well as being able to supervise operations. For me it was the most interesting field of engineering for being the least specialised. It allows me to branch off into any other particular branch of engineering at will in my free time, once I have most of the grounding. We're even registered officially as engineers in my country.
If there is one thing I will never do it would be committing moral treason. So rest assured that I am as certified of being an engineer as any other kind of engineer. Plus I have the advantage of being a trained jack-of-all-trades.

Now, I will confess that, even tho I have such a lofty training in CAD design, I prefer to use Google Sketchup. AutoCad and Solidworks are both marvellous and extremely capable tools, but they do not allow one to design based on inspiration and see the results quickly. If there is one "flaw" I have it is that I design from inspiration: flashes of intuition followed by furious periods of testing and refining. I dream up a concept or feature first, and then execute manual mathematical and manufacturing analysis to optimise it, finishing with testing. For me, suppressor design; indeed, all design, is more of an Art than a science. However, I do believe, without arrogance, that my designs speak for themselves.
So perhaps in the end I'd be best identified as an Artist with Engineering and Scientific training.
clevis hitch

Post by clevis hitch »

And exactly what country is this? To say that suppressors nd suppressor design is anything other than hard science is to not understand the sciences that you are dealing with. As far as Google sketch versus solid works. You don't know much about CADD either. From where I stand you sound like you are full of s--t.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

clevis hitch wrote:And exactly what country is this? To say that suppressors nd suppressor design is anything other than hard science is to not understand the sciences that you are dealing with. As far as Google sketch versus solid works. You don't know much about CADD either. From where I stand you sound like you are full of s--t.
Its obvious you know little about suppressors.There is science that is not fully understood with suppressors and to complex for your computer a keen imaginative mind paves the way in design and a cad program is only a extension of one thoughts.I think you need to move from the stable if your standing in manure!
PS: as soon as you can read look under his name for his country.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

clevis hitch wrote:And exactly what country is this? To say that suppressors nd suppressor design is anything other than hard science is to not understand the sciences that you are dealing with. As far as Google sketch versus solid works. You don't know much about CADD either. From where I stand you sound like you are full of s--t.
I've never been arrogant before mate. But, if I may be quite blunt, I'd say the evidence (the results of my designs) quite support my method. I'm not pooh-poohing any other method at all. I'm just being frontal about my own, and that it works too. I could use other methods, but I take pleasure in the manual, artistic way. And like I said I'm not here to make money or anything. I do this just for my own pleasure. I have spent over US$10,000 of my own money in R&D. I share my results freely out of passion and a wish to learn and give back.
I'm more than willing to learn, and certainly open to everyone's results and to sharing mine selflessly. But never will I tolerate someone trying to make me out as a fraud when I have been 100% transparent about my methods, work and ideas since the get-go.

For every success I have had there has been 5 or 10 failures. That is only normal in a field such as this, and even the great manufacturers will say this is correct. One can not simply have a computer design the perfect suppressor.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Capt. Link. says: “There is science that is not fully understood with suppressors and to complex for your computer …”

Oh, my God !

Anyway, good for you.

Best,

Paul
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

Paul in his defence your computer makes s--t brother. So its not computers that make good suppressors its PEOPLE, PEOPLE who do R&D like LAVA and SRI and others R&D is research and development not really and dumb bucause its REALLY DUMB to assume a design works because you make it on your computer. I wanna Bang Jenifer Lopez so bad I cant stand it. I could make a program that simulates that but Im not really banging her. get the point!!! shut your pie hole untill you have good usefull information to share

Joe
Semper Fi
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

PaulNoiseLess wrote:Hi,

Capt. Link. says: “There is science that is not fully understood with suppressors and to complex for your computer …”

Oh, my God !

Anyway, good for you.

Best,

Paul
The proof of not understanding is in your blueprints that I have seen.
PaulNoiseLess
Silent But Deadly

Post by PaulNoiseLess »

Hi,

Good for you.

Best,

Paul