CLEO Signoff Removal: NRA-ILA Press Release

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Flipz
Silent But Deadly

CLEO Signoff Removal: NRA-ILA Press Release

Post by Flipz »

Looks like CLEO signoff will be a thing of the past in the near future, hopefully.

http://www.nraila.org/167510
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Re: CLEO Signoff Removal: NRA-ILA Press Release

Post by WooD »

Our CLEO is cool as hell about signing off, but that will be one less step, which is a good thing.

Next they need to go to digital finger prints.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

That will be awesome to get one more hoop to jump through removed.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

I wonder how long until some of the states add their own requirements to make up for the feds dropping one of theirs.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Abiqua wrote:I wonder how long until some of the states add their own requirements to make up for the feds dropping one of theirs.
Not long at all.

In NC you have to get permission from the Sheriff before you can bring a MG into their county and state, I know of at least 1 county that since this came out last year has been looking into how they can legally require the same for all NFA. Good thing is they are talking SHALL ISSUE not a MAY ISSUE situation. They just want to know what evil things are in their counties and exactly where they are.

Will have to see how it pans out.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

WooD wrote:Our CLEO is cool as hell about signing off, but that will be one less step, which is a good thing.

Next they need to go to digital finger prints.
I live in MD. In MD, CLEO signoff can only be done by the State Police and only at their headquarters in Reisterstown. You have to physically deliver the forms to their office which for some people is pretty far from where they live. They have never not signed for someone that I know of, but they make you submit an additional finger print card and fee ($18). Then it takes 6-8 weeks to receive the signed forms back.

If the CLEO signoff requirement was removed it would save me gas, cost of additional fingerprint card, State Police fee, and up to 2 months of waiting.

And I agree. The next logical step is to switch to digital fingerprinting. It would save time, money, and manpower.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Our's is a shithead about it.. that's why we all go Trust/LLC
Jeff in OH

Post by Jeff in OH »

GlockandRoll wrote:Our's is a shithead about it.. that's why we all go Trust/LLC
Amen Brother...asked my CLEO about it and got the run-around so I did a trust also. Can #2 pending now, over half way thru the wait.
LoudasFawk
Silent Operator

Post by LoudasFawk »

GlockandRoll wrote:Our's is a shithead about it.. that's why we all go Trust/LLC

Same as our's (or so I've been told). I decided early (like countless others) to just go the trust route, and circumnavigate the CLEO hassle.....
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Gotta go the trust route down here in south louisiana too!

Ordered my first two from a dealer on March 8th...waiting for them to arrive so we can start the rest of the red tape. Had a third one reserved for me for when it arrives at the dealer (hopefully in the next couple of weeks)!

Can't wait to send off my paperwork on my first three cans.....I sure hope that trust we drew up is sufficient. Otherwise I'll be having to fix three "problem status" forms at one time! What's life without a little risk, right????
I've gotta stop this habit.
epicdoom
Silent But Deadly

Post by epicdoom »

Hey Flipz I just went with a trust My best friends wife did all the paperwork for me to set it up. I'm in Dundalk so that State Police HQ isnt that far from me I just didnt want to have the wait. PM me what area of MD your in

Joe
It's truely amazing what the mind can conceive and prompt the hands to create <---Mine..
Semper Fi
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I was reading on another forum that the ATF is willing to do this only because they are getting snowed under with all the trust documentation coming in. On one hand I want to believe this but on the other, I don't really see a government employee who's job it is is to deal with paperwork, being very concerned about - paper work.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I was reading on another forum that the ATF is willing to do this only because they are getting snowed under with all the trust documentation coming in. On one hand I want to believe this but on the other, I don't really see a government employee who's job it is is to deal with paperwork, being very concerned about - paper work.
True. It doesn't fit the typical government model.

Even without the CLEO sign-off requirement, a trust makes more sense to me, since I'm married and it allows my wife access to the trust's NFA goodies. So, they are still going to deal with plenty of trust paperwork from me.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
ericlw
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ericlw »

yup here in houston you cant get any sheriff to sign off on them. My local sheriff even told me he doesnt think anyone needs a surpressor so I told him I would be going around him. I dont think the police have any right to tell me what I can and cant do in this matter so I went around them with my trust.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Yes and if this goes through you will need to do finger prints and pictures for Trusts and LLC/Corps.
armalite_ar50
Silent Operator

Post by armalite_ar50 »

So lets say the states and counties enact laws to know whats in the county/state?

What gives law enforcement the "right" to see a tax paper?
form 4 or 1.

And what if after the fact that you've had it a few years then they say OH YOU HAVE THAT!
Not in my county get rid of it "by law"
That would be my sheriffs stance on it from what I have been told.

I went trust for the same reason as many no sign off ( now @ 4 stamps)
josh_silencerco

Post by josh_silencerco »

Be careful what you wish for. I met with the NFA branch at the shot show to talk about this action. Its a give take deal. They will remove the CLEO sign off only if we give up being able to purchase as a trust. I am not sure we want this. I will talk with the NRA and see what the status is tomorrow and let you all know.
Joshua Waldron
Silencerco
http://WWW.SILENCERCO.COM
http://www.facebook.com/silencerco
http://www.youtube.com/user/Silencerco
http://twitter.com/silencerco
http://www.myspace.com/silencerco
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

josh_silencerco wrote:Be careful what you wish for. I met with the NFA branch at the shot show to talk about this action. Its a give take deal. They will remove the CLEO sign off only if we give up being able to purchase as a trust. I am not sure we want this. I will talk with the NRA and see what the status is tomorrow and let you all know.
I am not sure we want that compromise. Look forward to hearing what the update is.
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

josh_silencerco wrote:Be careful what you wish for. I met with the NFA branch at the shot show to talk about this action. Its a give take deal. They will remove the CLEO sign off only if we give up being able to purchase as a trust. I am not sure we want this. I will talk with the NRA and see what the status is tomorrow and let you all know.
WTF??? :evil:
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Typical. Split a group into 2 and work them against each other. Those who prefer trusts vs those who don,t and have non nfa friendly sheriffs.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Thats going to really suck
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I agree ... trusts have some advantages beyond lack of a CLEO signature.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Typical some people have to F--k UP a good thing. If you have a Corp or a trust with a lot of people in different states it will be a ROYAL PITA to get prints every freaking time?

This SUCKS POND WATER! It's STUPID.. The Beneficiary may not get the item for 30 years and may be disqualified by then.. NO POINT in printing the beneficiary or even the other members in the trust other than maybe the Trustee. But again, a Trust does not have fingerprints!

This is just another RUSE to get more people's prints into the system.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Good.

Then it isn't going to happen as trusts are codified into law, and "we" cannot give them up, only Congress + POTUS can.

I have said all along this is NOT going to happen.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Even if you give up trusts, you will still have corporations.

Corporations have advantages over trusts - liability shield.