SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:23 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:40 am 
Silent Operator

So I know there's a handful of Gallatin county residents on here. Have any of you guys had any experience with the new Sheriff? I wonder if he is NFA friendly.

BulletFlight for Android
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:30 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Nope. No experience yet. My goodies are registered to my corporation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:26 pm 
Silent Operator

Not sure. I haven't really inquired since my next NFA purchase will be after the CLEO signature goes away.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:16 pm 

First off, I should probably introduce myself. I'm moving from CA to MT (I know, sorry, last thing MT needs is more of us). I'm excited to get out of the nanny state and into the outdoors. I have family in Belgrade and I'm probably gonna end up buying a house in Bozeman. Prior service US Army medic/nurse. I'm trying to make some connections before the move, maybe some new shooting/dirt biking buddies. I know absolutely nothing about NFA stuff and I'm hoping to learn as much as possible from the boards here without asking too many dumb questions.

So, from what I understand is that the local LE has to sign off on NFA paperwork, and that's done prior to starting the ATF form (4 I think? I've been hit in the head once or twice, short term memory retention isn't so great).

Also I've heard, and this is through the grapevine (remember I'm clueless), that the ATF conducts inspections of Class 3 stuff and the house and all that. Not sure if that's the tinfoil hat guys that are all hyped up about a government take over, or if that's a reality (kinda sad that it's not obvious anymore...)

Ok, let the flaming begin.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:05 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Sounds like you're coming from CA, but not necessarily a "Californian", so you won't get any flaming from me. Just a pat on the back and a "Thanks for your service!"

The CLEO signature is part of completing the Form 4. You and your dealer, or just your dealer, fills out the first part which has your name and address, his name and address, and information about the NFA item to be transferred. If you're registering the item to a trust or a corporation, you can mail it to the ATF at this point. If you are registering it as an individual, you take it to the CLEO for his signature. As an individual, you also need to include a fingerprint card with your application.

Once you receive your item, you secure it in your house and if the ATF wants to see it, they need to have probable cause. There are no special requirements that allows the authorities to "inspect" your items on demand.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:43 pm 

Thanks Blaubart. It's true, I really don't like to claim "californian". I'm the anomaly down here, people cringe when I talk about firearms, or riding, and question why I joined the Army (and insinuate that it was the only option I had).

I'm pretty excited about the move, only thing is trying to find work. I've been looking into starting a business teaching tactical medicine, and trying to get more involved in the firearms industry. With there being only one hospital and a nursing program in town, getting a nursing job has been somewhat difficult (not to mention being burned out as a nurse).

Glad to hear the ATF isn't just gonna randomly show up at my front door, the extra legwork for the individual registration seems as though it's less of a hassle than setting up a trust or corp. Thanks for the info, now I just gotta move and find the right suppressor!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:25 pm 
Silent Operator

CLEO signature is apparently going away soon, but I doubt our new Sheriff has any issues. Montana is very gun friendly. I've never had issues getting fingerprinted, and the former Sheriff had my forms signed in a couple of days.

You picked a great place, Bozeman is a great city and has a lot of Vets, myself included. Just stay away from our sorry excuse for a VFW post in the Filling Station.

I have plenty of NFA forms if you need any and can walk you through the NFA process. Langley Munitions is who I went through for my Cyclone here in Bozeman. He's a good guy. Last I heard from him was a hacked spam email so I'm not sure if his contact information is still correct. He mainly does AAC stuff.

The Manhattan Wildlife Range is a great place to shoot, and everybody is NFA friendly. Worth the 15 minute drive out of town. Bozeman PD and the Gallatin Sheriff's Dept. are pretty good about NFA stuff and a few are on these forums. It's common to run into them at the range, and they're good people.

You might check out http://mtfi.org/ and see if they're interested in adding a tactical medical program to their courses. I don't think a standalone business would fare well, but if you piggy back off them you could still have a program. That's just my two cents.

We also have the best beer brewed in Montana :D