Bought a Sparrow, did I make a mistake?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Bought a Sparrow, did I make a mistake?

Post by GatoMontes »

Hello, new here. :D

I had a firearm spring cleaning if you will, everything sold and I got good prices all around. I was set that if everything sold I would use part of that money for a rimfire suppressor, something I had always wanted. Done my research, looked at various models and settled on the stainless Silencerco Sparrow. I'm kinda anal about cleanliness, so the ease of disassembly and cleaning for the Sparrow was a feature I really admired. My shop had them on order, expected in a couple of weeks, so I payed my money down.

Maybe it's because I have already solidified my choice that all of a sudden I'm seeing many folks who seem to hate them; mostly because of the FRP. Lots want to call them a joke, put to shame by a lot of other cans that cost half of that of the Sparrow. The Silencerco vids place the FRP at about 120 db, but then again those are promo vids and can't necessarily be trusted.

I believe I can change my choice at the shop, probably for a fee, if need be. So what's the scoop; is the actual FRP really that bad?
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bought a Sparrow, did I make a mistake?

Post by dj_fatstyles »

i really like my sparrow. FRP ist that bad IMO. you should check out fireman1291 video when he fires off a round through the AWC archangel T @ 2:54 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp3P2eF6Q74 . FRP is LOUD on that thing. i had an archangel t and sold it to get a sparrow. damn good buy.
SWR Spectre
SWR H.E.M.S. 2
Gemtech SOS-45
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

You buy a top hot selling suppressor and you can trust Silencerco/ SWR vids.

Very strong, small, Best one to take apart, no FRP on rifles and very good. When you "first" shoot it "new" you may hear Loud FRP but it will settle to quieter FRP ( pistols )once use.

No need to clean it all the time, the Sparrow stay cleaner longer than other cans and Sound better dirty.

Also some of the best c-service out there!

"Mistake"? Not on this planet. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

what he just said ^ :wink: The Sparrow is one of the BEST .22 cans on the market, you made the right choice
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

GatoMontes wrote:... settled on the stainless Silencerco Sparrow. ... all of a sudden I'm seeing many folks who seem to hate them; mostly because of the FRP. ...
Can you reference online sources for these "many folks"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

First, in NFA, you need to relax, buy your can and then stop overthinking it.

Second, in the past i'm sure i have mentioned FRP with the Sparrow. But you have to put it in perspective- it is easily one of the best .22 cans available. At this top level, the differences are slight.

Most monocore cans have a pronounced FRP- not to say LOUD, but louder than follow up shots. It's the nature of the beast. The best K Baffle cans have non-existant or quieter FRP, but like you said, your priority is on cleaning. So, you made the right choice.

Again, relax. The Sparrow is an awesome can. Period.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

JasonM wrote:First, in NFA, you need to relax, buy your can and then stop overthinking it.

Second, in the past i'm sure i have mentioned FRP with the Sparrow. But you have to put it in perspective- it is easily one of the best .22 cans available. At this top level, the differences are slight.

Most monocore cans have a pronounced FRP- not to say LOUD, but louder than follow up shots. It's the nature of the beast. The best K Baffle cans have non-existant or quieter FRP, but like you said, your priority is on cleaning. So, you made the right choice.

Again, relax. The Sparrow is an awesome can. Period.
Dangit Jason, this thread and the other one you've said almost exactly what I was going to say. :mrgreen:

I'm sure I've said something about FRP on the sparrow as well . . . HOWEVER, after FRP it is within a db and some change of the element (which is the quietest mass production can I've metered). To anyone without a meter, after first round the difference is unnoticeable between the element and the sparrow.

On my meter and on a pistol, the sparrow for me averages ~124db on the first round which you will notice but really isn't that bad in context with all the other cans out there.

Because of its ease of taking apart and sound average, the sparrow is in the top 3 .22 cans for me.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

57fairlane wrote:Dangit Jason, this thread and the other one you've said almost exactly what I was going to say. :mrgreen:
Thanks, I am here to help. 8)
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

The frp is way way over exaggerated online. I have noticed it one time on my sparrow. Thats right once. I was using federal bulk on a pistol which typically stays subsonic but one was apparently a little hot because I could see the difference in poi from the rest of the cartridge and it went transonic on me. It happend to be the first shot that day and was kinda loud but even then not loud enough to make my neighbor look up who was building a dresser under his porch. It has never happened again even with that same lot of federal. I typically shoot cci standard and have never heard it with that at all with my naked ears.

As others above said not a mistake at all and it continues to be my favorite can.

Another caveat to that is I have never cleaned my sparrow I have taken it apart which makes big lumps of crud fall out. I just do that to monitor it and im amazed by how clean it stays. I prolly have arou d 2k through it now and still dont see a need to clean it. So maybe that takes away the frp by taking up room in the blast chamber? I dont know but maybe since you said you where a clean freak you may notice a frp with it clean. I do know it sounds better with a little crud in it then it did when it was new.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

I go through this stage with any major purchase. It's not so much buyers remorse as it's buyers doubt. Six months is a long time to wait and given it's my first I obviously want one of the best. So naturally, after I make my purchase I hone in on all the naysayers out there.

If the FRP hovers around 120 I have no qualms what so ever. Like you guys said, it's all relative anyway. Thanks for the encouragement, I think the worry has left this poor chap. :D
LEON54
Silent Operator

Post by LEON54 »

Yes you should have bought the new spectre2
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

LEON54 wrote:Yes you should have bought the new spectre2
You mean this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF_xsaJ-iyM
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

GatoMontes wrote:Hello, new here. :D

I had a firearm spring cleaning if you will, everything sold and I got good prices all around. I was set that if everything sold I would use part of that money for a rimfire suppressor, something I had always wanted. Done my research, looked at various models and settled on the stainless Silencerco Sparrow. I'm kinda anal about cleanliness, so the ease of disassembly and cleaning for the Sparrow was a feature I really admired. My shop had them on order, expected in a couple of weeks, so I payed my money down.

Maybe it's because I have already solidified my choice that all of a sudden I'm seeing many folks who seem to hate them; mostly because of the FRP. Lots want to call them a joke, put to shame by a lot of other cans that cost half of that of the Sparrow. The Silencerco vids place the FRP at about 120 db, but then again those are promo vids and can't necessarily be trusted.

I believe I can change my choice at the shop, probably for a fee, if need be. So what's the scoop; is the actual FRP really that bad?
Spectre II is gonna make you cry....
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

seattlite wrote:
That vid shows my experience with sparrow frp.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

seattlite wrote:
That is THE BEST comparison video format I've seen. The FRP on the Sparrow is loud. I can't get over how quiet the Spectre2 is....I've got a Spectre and the difference in the S1 and S2 is amazing knowing how quiet the S1 is first hand.
LEON54
Silent Operator

Post by LEON54 »

I heard from a source that the original Spectre is just as quite as the spectre2. The Spectre and the spectre2 are equally quite. The only differences is the new look and that the spectre2 is just easier to take apart. I have a Spectre and have heard the spectre2. I wouldn't trade my Spectre for the new spectre2 if it was even an option.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

LEON54 wrote:I heard from a source that the original Spectre is just as quite as the spectre2. The Spectre and the spectre2 are equally quite. The only differences is the new look and that the spectre2 is just easier to take apart. I have a Spectre and have heard the spectre2. I wouldn't trade my Spectre for the new spectre2 if it was even an option.
So you are saying Henry is lying about the numbers?
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

I was within a hair of buying the sparrow it had wonderful reviews on it but as I was saving up the money for it I found information on the swr line of suppressors and ended up purchasing a spectre2. For the money I think I made the right move and based on the new video of it im going to be more than satisfied. I also think you made a great decision on your purchase and i hope you have as much fun with it as im going to have with mine.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Trevor2011 wrote:I was within a hair of buying the sparrow it had wonderful reviews on it but as I was saving up the money for it I found information on the swr line of suppressors and ended up purchasing a spectre2. For the money I think I made the right move and based on the new video of it im going to be more than satisfied. I also think you made a great decision on your purchase and i hope you have as much fun with it as im going to have with mine.
You made the right choice
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

Who gives a s--t? just go shoot the hell out of it, you're not going to hate it.
Don't be an internet tough guy...
LEON54
Silent Operator

Post by LEON54 »

Test them side by side for yourself... U won't notice a difference. No thats not what I'm saying. They sound Identical to me. The Spectre vs the spectre2 I would choose a spectre1
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

LEON54 wrote:Test them side by side for yourself... U won't notice a difference. No thats not what I'm saying. They sound Identical to me. The Spectre vs the spectre2 I would choose a spectre1
Why? harder to take down and clean the tube. And more weight. I like the new design much better.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

22 cans are like potato chips.....you can't just stop at one. Just follow up the SS Sparrow purchase with the Spectre II, then with the SF Ryder when its finally released.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

Kinda strange that Silencerco now owns SWR and, as a result, has two models that directly compete with one another.
Spectre II is gonna make you cry....
That's definitely NOT what I wanted to hear. :cry:

True, going to the shop I was looking for either the Sparrow or the Spectre II, both of which I heard great things about. The Sparrow was already on order and expected in a couple of weeks, the Spectre they would have to hunt down, hence I went with the Sparrow. Still though, 3 or 4 db ain't gonna make me cry and it looks like the Sparrow is a slightly more compact package, another thing I'd want.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

I consider Sparrow and Spectre II to be different critters. Monocore/CTA, weight, length, price...
Quite a bit of differentiation between the 2.
Will the Spectre II eat into Sparrow sales...YES.
But only because it is the right can for those people. One is not better than the other, they both shine in separate areas.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384