Bought a Sparrow, did I make a mistake?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

renegade
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bought a Sparrow, did I make a mistake?

Post by renegade »

GatoMontes wrote:Kinda strange that Silencerco now owns SWR and, as a result, has two models that directly compete with one another.
Not uncommon. Many do:

SWR - Warlock, Spectre, Whatever was before warlock
GemTech - OutbackII, Alpine, G5-22,SeaSparrow
AAC - Pilot, Aviator, Prodigy, Slimliter, Element
etc.

And that does not count Integrals.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Competition "within" always good thing. Look at the muscle cars of the late 60's to 1970.

Sit back and you get run over. :mrgreen:

Silencerco and SWR has a piece of corner of the market. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
jta

Post by jta »

seattlite wrote:22 cans are like potato chips.....you can't just stop at one. Just follow up the SS Sparrow purchase with the Spectre II, then with the SF Ryder when its finally released.

This is what I was thinking. I've got a Sparrow I'm waiting for and I'm already thinking about getting the Spectre II.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

Fair enough. If my other ventures into the world of firearms are indicative of such, my Sparrow will be the first of many, many more to come.

It seems that most find the Sparrow, Spectre and Element to be roughly the top of the line for rimfire suppressors. Any others I should be interested in?
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

GatoMontes wrote:Fair enough. If my other ventures into the world of firearms are indicative of such, my Sparrow will be the first of many, many more to come.

It seems that most find the Sparrow, Spectre and Element to be roughly the top of the line for rimfire suppressors. Any others I should be interested in?
Are you talking rimfire or centerfire handgun or rifle?
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

GatoMontes wrote:Fair enough. If my other ventures into the world of firearms are indicative of such, my Sparrow will be the first of many, many more to come.

Integral 22LR....10/22, AR15-22, Ruger, Browning, bolt action...ported so that most if not all high velocity ammo is subsonic.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

EDIT

OK, went back and read a bunch of threads here on ST (like any good noob should do) and all my questions have been answered. I am, or will be completely satisfied with my choice. Is it the best? Debatable, but I know I got one of the better ones to start my awesome adventure into the world of silent shootin!

Now what to dick around with till the six month wait comes to an end???
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Get some hosts and some threaded barrels.
semperfiusmc

Post by semperfiusmc »

doubloon wrote:
GatoMontes wrote:... settled on the stainless Silencerco Sparrow. ... all of a sudden I'm seeing many folks who seem to hate them; mostly because of the FRP. ...
Can you reference online sources for these "many folks"?
My experience is that the "many folks" are the ones who don't own suppressors and have no real world experience or clue what they are talking about. It is unfortunate that suppressor discussions always devolve into Glock / XD or 9mm / .45 type debates.

I'm a little partial to one logo, but I should be. The Sparrow is a fine suppressor. So is the Spectre. You won't go wrong buying either.
GatoMontes
Silent Operator

Post by GatoMontes »

^^^ Suppose the saddest part is that I already know this, but plant just the smallest seed of doubt and you leave me a worried mess.

A couple hours reading old threads on ST left me with a clear understanding of where the battle line is drawn when it comes to the Sparrow, and who's on either side.
smokey1

Post by smokey1 »

I own the orginal Spectre and recently added a Sparrow II. The Sparrow II has become my pistol host and Spectre dedicated to a rifle host.

Observations owning both:
FRP is more noticable with the Sparrow II vs. Spectre from the shooters perspective.
Regarding cleaning, the clear advantage is the Sparrow II. No contest!
Smokey