Need AR-15 type in .22lr

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Chris Bar
Silent Operator

Need AR-15 type in .22lr

Post by Chris Bar »

Been waiting too long for my Octane-HD to show up :evil: , so now need to go ahead and get .22lr in AR-15 style with existing 1/2-28 thread for the Spectre. A very recent post indicated that CMMG was one of best conversion kits, but that is not quite the solution. I do not have the AR-15 of the .223 size AR-15 so am wanting to buy so that I can reliably but infrequently switch back and forth from .223 to .22lr.

Can this really be done reliably? Would it be best to purchase the .223 then the kit for .22lr or the 22lr and a kit (or parts if no kit) to convert to .223. I have no experience with the .223 caliber so need to convert to that caliber is pure want. Stocking (hoarding) .223 would be just another caliber to take up funds, so not sure I will be doing much with .223.

If there were folks around with whom I could discuss, would be nice, but only place to get info is a local gun shop....and they may well have vested interests in which way to go.

Have been quite satisified with a CMMG 9mm that I had occasion to fire several times, so seems that CMMG builds them well....all metal except buttstock I think....at least the receiver is....which is a must.
Would buy today if I could find the desired reliability (.22lr vs. .223 change) and reliable function as well. So, need your help...what would you purchase?
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Re: Need AR-15 type in .22lr

Post by jt526 »

Colt 6920 (~$1100) and a CMMG .22lr Evolution conversion kit (~$210). If you want to cheap, then get a plastic New Frontier complete lower for $99, and the cheapest beater used upper you can find and drop the conversion in there.

I have had nothing but good luck with the drop in conversions (with a lakeside spring kit for running subsonic).
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
tws317

Post by tws317 »

I recently built a complete dedicated .22lr ar-15. I purchased a lower and upper reciever you can get both for around $200. The CMMG stainless conversion kit was around $180. A Palmetto State Armory lower parts kit which included Mag Pul stock, buffer tube, spring, castle nut, and buffer $140. A CMMG .22lr barrel was $100. And I put a cheap AIM Sport quad rail on it for $60. I later put a J&P trigger spring set in it for $10. It shoots Sub Sonics well. With the trigger springs its not as reliable as with the springs that came with the kit but it still does the job. I am completely happy with this set up.

I never built an AR before this one and just watched a couple videos on you tube and had it done in less than an hour.

I had the S&W MP 15-22 but did not like the idea of the lower and upper being plastic so I got rid of it. Also with the above set up you can purchase a .223 / 5.56 upper and slap it on.
Chris Bar
Silent Operator

Post by Chris Bar »

Thanks for the info...sorry took a while but you know how 'tis.
Need to slightly modify my need :D .

Looking for the same as above, .22 to burn, and .300BLK for quiet longer range...still looking at range though to determine if the .300BLK is a benefit or an albatross (depends on how well they work....don't want a project...only a shooter, but I did see the post regarding problems with the 300 CMMG upper). Saw a CMMG .300BLK upper that fits directly to a std.223 lower which solves the noise problem. This changes the lineup for the inexpensive .223 post #3 but only by the cost of the 300 upper, right? (and agree, S&W not playing this hand). Had not wanted a .223 since they are so loud but read a little on the .300blk and I'm hooked (so is my neighbor...we're both incapable of handling money when there are needs).

So with a .223 lower, don't really need to shoot .223, can switch between the .22 and 300 by simply changing the upper....sounds too simple...I obviously missed something important...nothing is that easy!

Again, thanks for the info. Perhaps I need to get to a club or whatever to learn a bit more. I do show my lack of knowledge, but overall, not a lack of experience.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Chris Bar wrote:Thanks for the info...sorry took a while but you know how 'tis.
Need to slightly modify my need :D .

Looking for the same as above, .22 to burn, and .300BLK for quiet longer range...still looking at range though to determine if the .300BLK is a benefit or an albatross (depends on how well they work....don't want a project...only a shooter, but I did see the post regarding problems with the 300 CMMG upper). Saw a CMMG .300BLK upper that fits directly to a std.223 lower which solves the noise problem. This changes the lineup for the inexpensive .223 post #3 but only by the cost of the 300 upper, right? (and agree, S&W not playing this hand). Had not wanted a .223 since they are so loud but read a little on the .300blk and I'm hooked (so is my neighbor...we're both incapable of handling money when there are needs).

So with a .223 lower, don't really need to shoot .223, can switch between the .22 and 300 by simply changing the upper....sounds too simple...I obviously missed something important...nothing is that easy!

Again, thanks for the info. Perhaps I need to get to a club or whatever to learn a bit more. I do show my lack of knowledge, but overall, not a lack of experience.
No it IS that easy, just buy a quality 223 upper and a quality conversion kit and go from there. I personally wouldn't go with a 300BLK upper from CMMG, too many problems, there are plenty of other sources out there for a quality upper.
Chris Bar
Silent Operator

Post by Chris Bar »

Understand, and thank you....very much. Finally did my homework though by looking at the ballistic data; I should have trusted my intuition and knowledge: they do not make a round that will do what I want. Drop is just too drastic at low speeds and larger calibers to be reasonably reliable due to other external influences. Guess I saved a few bucks...suppose I will order another .22lr supressor so switching back and forth is not necessary. Another 8 weeks minimum, waiting on the paper, to get it here and another 6 months waiting on paper again. Will have the AR15 in .22 long before another suppressor is available....might wear out the threads before it shows up.
blueheeler66

Post by blueheeler66 »

If you can swing it, I highly recommend the CMMG .22 Evolution upper over the conversion kit.
I makes shooting .22 fun again.
Chris Bar
Silent Operator

Post by Chris Bar »

Well...took some time but it is swung :D . Have the 6920 and the second Specter...so where best source of CMMG Evolution Upper in .22LR? I do not want plastic...no plastic...nada, so thinking would it be better to see before any obligation [$$] which at times is difficult to get back.

Is CMMG still the way to go for best operation?

Only 11 months on the Specter...was hearing horror stories of a year or maybe more. Wonder what it is now...got a hankering for another one. Still, that 24 months went by both fast and slow...if that is possible.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

CMMG is still my favorite, stainless is the way to go, get the boonie packer bettermag adapter and M&P-15 mags. Day late and a dollar short, but I've also considered a 300blk conversion, [email protected] was making them, has a youtube video out.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
Chris Bar
Silent Operator

Post by Chris Bar »

Thanks....I know where to get the CMMG. Had also considered the 300BLK but after evaluating the low velocity vs. drop, decided it was was not for me. Due to drop and wind drift error, not enough gain over 9mm which was much cheaper.
I have looked but could not find a .22LR that was in the same quality category as the Colt, but if there is one available that feeds well and produced by manufacturer with good history, would like to know. Not too enthusiastic about switching between .223 and .22LR so perhaps will be looking for another 6920 to solve the dilemma. Or maybe a .300BLK will be cheaper when folks realize it is a cartridge looking for a use and could pick one up and convert it, and switch back from time to time if ammo is ever reasonable, and I had seen a CMMG in that design, Don't intend to stir anything, just my thoughts.