three lug mount

Yes, it can be legal to make a silencer. For everything Form-1, from silencer designs that are easily made, to filing forms with the BATF, to 3D modeling. Remember, you must have an approved BATF Form-1 to make a silencer. All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

three lug mount

Post by jlwilliams »

Is there any source for a three lug mount that could be used on a form 1 can?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: three lug mount

Post by Bendersquint »

jlwilliams wrote:Is there any source for a three lug mount that could be used on a form 1 can?
No, because you can not purchase silencer parts.

Using it to build a Form1 silencer makes it a silencer part and therefore you can not buy one, they aren't hard to make....in fact there are plans for a home 3-lug on the internet somewhere(not sure where but I have seen them in the past).
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

Bendersquint wrote:
jlwilliams wrote:Is there any source for a three lug mount that could be used on a form 1 can?
what the heck? I was just looking at purchasing MP5K barrels w/3 lug mounts from hkparts and black-market-parts - they sell them as non-controlled items.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jaredr wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
what the heck? I was just looking at purchasing MP5K barrels w/3 lug mounts from hkparts and black-market-parts - they sell them as non-controlled items.
A barrel isn't a controlled part.

He was asking about the mount to be used on a F1 can, which would be a part of the can, unless hes just looking to buy a mount to go on a barrel.
Shift1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shift1 »

There have been some plans posted here, I believe some cad diagrams can be found on youtube
Last edited by Shift1 on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."- Samuel Adams
"LP"
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

Bendersquint wrote:He was asking about the mount to be used on a F1 can
disregard, i thought the OP was referring to the three-lug mount which would be affixed to the barrel, not the female component that would be part of the suppressor.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Yes, I'm looking for the female part.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look around for the drawings you mentioned. I tried searching "3 lug" and "three lug" here on ST but didn't find any drawings, so I posted this. I'll try youtube and more searching here. It's likely that if someone has built one themself, it's been discussed and shown here.

I was hoping that the mount wouldn't be a regulated part. I figured that since Gemtech sells multi mounts individually that maybe the mount was somehow outside the scope of that rule. I've been working on an MP5 clone project for a long time. The idea of following it up with a can (after I finally get the gun up and running) to make a complete package of homebrewed whoopass apeals to me.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

jlwilliams wrote:Yes, I'm looking for the female part.
The female parts always have rules covering there use and numerous laws covering the use and misuse of them.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

rogerme wrote:
jlwilliams wrote:Yes, I'm looking for the female part.
The female parts always have rules covering there use and numerous laws covering the use and misuse of them.
yes, use of female parts is always regulated heavily :shock:
NP
mollinst
Industry Professional

Post by mollinst »

Ain't THAT the truth! :lol:
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

:lol: Anything with those female parts will always cost you lots of money.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

How about a female 3-lug so you can design and mount a new-style flash hider, then hell, design
a suppressor around it on a Form 1.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

RPM509 wrote:How about a female 3-lug so you can design and mount a new-style flash hider, then hell, design
It took longer than I thought before someone showed up with a attempt to get around the regs.
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

Is there any reason that the OP wouldn't be able to purchase say a multi-mount mount for a 3-lug (or even a trident or octane 3-lug mount) and then build a can that could be threaded on to that mount?

I fail to see how for an SOT-made can a barrel mount doesn't count as a silencer part, but for a F1 built can it would. Can you elaborate?

Also, it would be appreciated if nobody "ran" with this idea and wrote a "clarification" letter about this to ATF. We already have enough regulatory messes caused by letter-writers.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

sillycon wrote:Is there any reason that the OP wouldn't be able to purchase say a multi-mount mount for a 3-lug (or even a trident or octane 3-lug mount) and then build a can that could be threaded on to that mount?

I fail to see how for an SOT-made can a barrel mount doesn't count as a silencer part, but for a F1 built can it would. Can you elaborate?

Also, it would be appreciated if nobody "ran" with this idea and wrote a "clarification" letter about this to ATF. We already have enough regulatory messes caused by letter-writers.
If it is used in the construction of a Form1 silencer then its classified as a silencer part which you can not purchase(raw materials used in the construction are different). The MultiMount/Trident mounts are legal because it was designed as a system manufactured by an 07/02. In the eyes of the ATF they are nothing more than accessories.

An SOT can convert a can to use mounts but an individual can not, because 02 SOT's can legally have silencer parts.

Form1 means you make it entirely yourself, you can't buy parts.

Letters have already been submitted on this topic as well as a number of others.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

what about making the can and an adapter and then using the 3 lug? just askin
NP
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

delta9mda wrote:what about making the can and an adapter and then using the 3 lug? just askin
With this method the last I heard that it was still considered buying a part since the part wasn't intended for your silencer.

The letters should clarify this issue and alot more.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Bendersquint wrote:
delta9mda wrote:what about making the can and an adapter and then using the 3 lug? just askin
With this method the last I heard that it was still considered buying a part since the part wasn't intended for your silencer.

thank you sir
NP
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Bendersquint wrote:

So if you have a mount for one can , but it also fits another can , for which it wasnt sold (different manufacturer) that would make it illegal to use the mount on any can for which the manufacturer didnt build it ??

if the INTENT for a mount ,is to be the link between the barrel mounted mount ,and the threaded endcap of a can ,, ??

Then its just a thing ,, but then again , a shoelace was once a machine gun :roll:
RPM509
Senior Silent Operator

Post by RPM509 »

Bendersquint wrote:
RPM509 wrote:How about a female 3-lug so you can design and mount a new-style flash hider, then hell, design
It took longer than I thought before someone showed up with a attempt to get around the regs.
The point is, intent. If you INTEND to make it a compatible mount for something else, you are then good to go.
How about suppressors that mount to the A2 cage? That makes the A2 cages silencer parts? (don't answer that, I know the answer)

Me personally? I wouldn't hesitate to make it as a mount for multiple parts AS LONG AS I HAD AN APPROVED Form 1 in hand.
If you want a legal ruling instead of all of us guessing for you, write a kindly worded letter asking for clarification from the ATF.
"a butt tuba" - Palindrome
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

I really hate how the law makes it so that if you didn't turn it out of bar or plate you are committing a mortal sin.
Last edited by ghostdog662 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LP
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ghostdog662 wrote:I really hate how the law makes it so that if you didn't turn it out of solid round you are committing a mortal sin.
Thats the problem when an individual wants to MAKE something, you apply to have to MAKE something, not purchase an already made component.

Freeze plugs????? Not a silencer component until you do the work to MAKE it a silencer component.

Mounts/Adapters? Silencer components from the get-go and can't be purchase for use with a F1.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

Bendersquint wrote:
ghostdog662 wrote:I really hate how the law makes it so that if you didn't turn it out of solid round you are committing a mortal sin.
Thats the problem when an individual wants to MAKE something, you apply to have to MAKE something, not purchase an already made component.

Freeze plugs????? Not a silencer component until you do the work to MAKE it a silencer component.

Mounts/Adapters? Silencer components from the get-go and can't be purchase for use with a F1.
I understand, just griefing out loud.
LP
JohnnyO
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyO »

Buy a HK 3 lug flash hider and "make" it into a female mount for your f1 can.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

JohnnyO wrote:Buy a HK 3 lug flash hider and "make" it into a female mount for your f1 can.
That is a viable solution.