Some General Suppressor ?s

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Josh Denny

Some General Suppressor ?s

Post by Josh Denny »

Hello all,

I am relatively new here and still geting my feet wet with NFA weapons and suppressors, etc. Obviously I want to get the most bang for my buck but I also want to have the best experience with my toys and make them last. So here are a few ideas I am kicking around in my head and figure I'll put out here for comment.

First off, in the thought of doing more with less, would an Evo-40 work well with 9mm guns as well? I realize we are looking at a larger diameter bore for the 9mm bullets but this would allow me to suppress .40S&W, 10mm & 9mm. Any thoughts? First hand experiences?

Trident vs. Evo-9. I know the Trident is subgun rated and the Evo-9 is not. I want to have the can do double duty as a 9mm can and for the .338 Spectre round. IIRC, AAC has stated NOT to use the Evo-9 for the Spectre but I think it was Steve @ ADCO that has done it. Is this AAC being careful or will harm be done? If the Evo-9 shouldn't be used, what about the Evo 40 as asked above? With the higher muzzle pressure of the .40 can it handle the .338 Spectre? If not, is the Trident on par with the Evo-9 for sound reduction? I know the Evo-9 has the rep for being the most quiet 9mm can on the market right now.

Going to rifles, if I have to get a rifle rated suppressor for the .338 can it be utilized sucessfully with .30 caliber rifles even with the larger bore diameter? What about .223 through a .338 can? I realize that there would probably be diminished sound reduction, otherwise there would not be caliber specific cans on the market but I am looking for a comparison I suppose.

As far as .45ACP suppressors, I am waiting for the much anticipated AAC can that is supposed to be uber quiet dry. I would like to use the HK45 as the host when it comes on the market. Any word on the HK45 hitting shelves? Also, I have a .458 SOCOM AR upper, what about using this new AAC can on that? I realize this is similar to the above .338 Spectre/9mm can question but I have never really read about muzzle pressure vs. case pressure as I assume it is mostly important to suppressors and not much of other avenues I have previously travelled. My understanding of the subsonic loads from the 300 Whisper, .338 Spectre, .458 SOCOM are essentially working in pistol range pressures so I am just trying to figure out all of this stuff.

I also want to suppress my .22's and figure I'll get that done first. I am looking at the AAC Pilot and want to use that on a .22 pistol and also use it on a Ruger 10/22 so I think that much should be a non-issue. Thoughts otherwise? I was thinking of a Walther P22 but heard from some that the P22 is lacking in accuracy. I wanted to stay around $400 or so for a .22 pistol host but the Beretta 87T looks attractive. Any thoughts.

So essentially I want to eventually get about six or so suppressors but this obviously will come as time & (mostly) money permit. I figure I will eventually get them all, but in the meantime I am looking at (attempting) to have a few do multiple duties if common consensus says it's okay. Basically the list so far is:

AAC Pilot for .22 pistol & rifle

Evo-40 that I would like to use for: 10mm, .40S&W, 9mm & .338 Spectre

Evo-9 if using the 40 can for 9mm is not advised

Trident if Evo-40 and/or Evo-9 is not advised for .338 Spectre

New AAC 45 can for HK45 or 1911 until HK45 is out and for .458 SOCOM unless that is not advised.

I will need a suggestion for the .458 SOCOM if a .45 pistol suppressor is not advised.

.338 AAC can for .338 Spectre if suitable pistol can not advised which would be used for .308 Win unless it is not advised and also for .223 unless not advised.

AAC M4000 for .223, which I assume you would not want to use for .22LR due to inability to break down for cleaning.

So there is my most verbose post in history (anywhere I think). I realize that is a lot of questions and tried to answer them by searching but couldn't come up with concrete answers (ie. some say the Evo-9 is okay for .338 but AAC posted here that it is not).

Thanks everyone.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Some General Suppressor ?s

Post by cyclone72 »

Josh Denny wrote:Hello all,

good choice,thers also the Aviator for 400 ,and 200+ for a threaded barrel
for the 10/22 from tactical solutions or buy a BB yourself and send it to Tornado Tech.Stay away from the P22 while its easy and easy being the key word,to suppress Id go with a Ruger MKI,II, or III or a Buckmark and than get a Tactical solutions threaded barrel for it.

New AAC 45 can for HK45 or 1911 until HK45 is out and for .458 SOCOM unless that is not advised.

the new AAC .45 can will not come with a fixed spacer which you would need for the .458,SSK industries or Tromix can make you one and matbe SRT.

I will need a suggestion for the .458 SOCOM if a .45 pistol suppressor is not advised.
Look at the above post

.338 AAC can for .338 Spectre if suitable pistol can not advised which would be used for .308 Win unless it is not advised and also for .223 unless not advised.

338 can will be expensive but Im sure it will handle the 338 Spectre lesser
gas pressure,Id get the 338 if you have a 338.

AAC M4000 for .223, which I assume you would not want to use for .22LR due to inability to break down for cleaning.

yep, and might want to think about the M41000

So there is my most verbose post in history (anywhere I think). I realize that is a lot of questions and tried to answer them by searching but couldn't come up with concrete answers (ie. some say the Evo-9 is okay for .338 but AAC posted here that it is not).

Thanks everyone.
Josh Denny

Post by Josh Denny »

Cool. Thanks for the advice so far. I have a Ruger 22/45 that is fairly accurate, I imagine I could just get a threaded barrel for that too.

Do you mean that SSK or Tromix can make me a suppressor or can make me a spacer for the new AAC 45 can?

So would using the .338 suppressor for the .308 win be okay? Same question for the .223? Or is that too much "extra" space?
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

Josh Denny wrote:Cool. Thanks for the advice so far. I have a Ruger 22/45 that is fairly accurate, I imagine I could just get a threaded barrel for that too.

Do you mean that SSK or Tromix can make me a suppressor or can make me a spacer for the new AAC 45 can?

1.a can for the .458,AAC will not be making them to accept a spacer anyway.

So would using the .338 suppressor for the .308 win be okay? Same question for the .223? Or is that too much "extra" space?

2.I have shot .223 out of my 308 can and it was bettter than the 223 out of the 223 can so 308 maybe ok but 223 not to sure of.

SWR Trident is rated for .338 Spectre.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Josh Denny wrote:First off, in the thought of doing more with less, would an Evo-40 work well with 9mm guns as well? I realize we are looking at a larger diameter bore for the 9mm bullets but this would allow me to suppress .40S&W, 10mm & 9mm. Any thoughts? First hand experiences?
With pistol cans, bore size make a big difference in my experience. I own an Evo-9 and love it. I won't buy an Evo-40 or Evo-45. I will probably buy the "Black Box" when I get a chance to demo one some time to verify it works better then the Evo-45.
Josh Denny wrote:Trident vs. Evo-9. I know the Trident is subgun rated and the Evo-9 is not. I want to have the can do double duty as a 9mm can and for the .338 Spectre round. IIRC, AAC has stated NOT to use the Evo-9 for the Spectre but I think it was Steve @ ADCO that has done it. Is this AAC being careful or will harm be done? If the Evo-9 shouldn't be used, what about the Evo 40 as asked above? With the higher muzzle pressure of the .40 can it handle the .338 Spectre? If not, is the Trident on par with the Evo-9 for sound reduction? I know the Evo-9 has the rep for being the most quiet 9mm can on the market right now.
The Evo-9 is the best choice for dedicated 9mm pistols. The Trident is a good 9mm subgun can that can work as a pistol suppressor.

For the 338 Spectre and 9mm rifles and subguns, the GemTech Raptor style of suppressor or a MK-9 variant is the way to go. I shot a Raptor and really like it a lot.

Can an Evo-9 handle the 338 Spectre? Sure with any reasonable barrel length but, don't expect AAC to provide a public warranty for such use.
Josh Denny wrote:Going to rifles, if I have to get a rifle rated suppressor for the .338 can it be utilized sucessfully with .30 caliber rifles even with the larger bore diameter? What about .223 through a .338 can? I realize that there would probably be diminished sound reduction, otherwise there would not be caliber specific cans on the market but I am looking for a comparison I suppose.
The 7.62-SD has been proven to work well on AR-15's. You have a longer heavier can but, since you are not a professional door kicker in IRAQ (or in a Law Enforcement drug raid team) you can probaly live with that compromise.

If you have an outstanding 338 suppressor like the 338 Titan, you could probably do just fine shooting .308 out of it. This remains to be proven and some day it will be when I have a barrel threaded for it and access to a reliable meter.

.223? Probably not since it is so overbore.

With price factored in, get a 9mm subgun can for YOUR 338 Spectre and a 7.62-SD or similar can to start. You will be getting a .223 can at some point but, it can wait a while with the other two cans in your possession.
Josh Denny wrote:As far as .45ACP suppressors, I am waiting for the much anticipated AAC can that is supposed to be uber quiet dry. I would like to use the HK45 as the host when it comes on the market. Any word on the HK45 hitting shelves? Also, I have a .458 SOCOM AR upper, what about using this new AAC can on that? I realize this is similar to the above .338 Spectre/9mm can question but I have never really read about muzzle pressure vs. case pressure as I assume it is mostly important to suppressors and not much of other avenues I have previously travelled. My understanding of the subsonic loads from the 300 Whisper, .338 Spectre, .458 SOCOM are essentially working in pistol range pressures so I am just trying to figure out all of this stuff.
458 Socom's really are in a class all their own. If you had a good 45ACP subgun can, you could probably be safe with the 458 Socom rounds.
Josh Denny wrote: I also want to suppress my .22's and figure I'll get that done first. I am looking at the AAC Pilot and want to use that on a .22 pistol and also use it on a Ruger 10/22 so I think that much should be a non-issue. Thoughts otherwise? I was thinking of a Walther P22 but heard from some that the P22 is lacking in accuracy. I wanted to stay around $400 or so for a .22 pistol host but the Beretta 87T looks attractive. Any thoughts.
The P22 is a waste of money. I bought a Browning Buckmark on sale at Christmas at a big box store for $199.99 plus tax and got a good deal on a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel. Total cost is under $400 and the new take off barrel could probably be ebay'ed for ~$50 further reducing my costs.

The CZ Kadet is a good option that I have seen in the area of $400.
Josh Denny wrote:So essentially I want to eventually get about six or so suppressors but this obviously will come as time & (mostly) money permit. I figure I will eventually get them all, but in the meantime I am looking at (attempting) to have a few do multiple duties if common consensus says it's okay.
That's how most people do it. ;)
Last edited by Sid Post on Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sid Post
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sid Post »

Josh Denny wrote:Basically the list so far is:

Carefully consider whether you will want to be able to disassemble your suppressor after ~15K rounds go through it. That is a lifetime for some people and a summer for others. With 22lr's, I am reconsidering my desire for a can I can disassemble. Options include the AAC Prodigy and the Tactical Innovation Quest.

Why have you settled on the AAC Pilot specifically? It is a great can among many.
Josh Denny wrote:Evo-40 that I would like to use for: 10mm, .40S&W, 9mm & .338 Spectre
Save your money. Do you really need to suppress the 40S&W and 10mm? I would not shoot 338 Spectre through an Evo-40 with the expectation it would be hearing safe.
Josh Denny wrote:Evo-9 if using the 40 can for 9mm is not advised
Buying and Evo-9 is like buying a good 22lr suppressor. They are huge fun and see a lot of use the specialty cans will never see.
Josh Denny wrote:Trident if Evo-40 and/or Evo-9 is not advised for .338 Spectre
Why did you rule out the 9mm subgun cans like the Gemtech Raptor and MK-9K?
Josh Denny wrote:New AAC 45 can for HK45 or 1911 until HK45 is out and for .458 SOCOM unless that is not advised.

I'm getting tired here reading and writing through your post ;)

Go integral or get a 45ACP subgun.
Josh Denny wrote:.338 AAC can for .338 Spectre if suitable pistol can not advised which would be used for .308 Win unless it is not advised and also for .223 unless not advised.

Get a Titan 338 and a .223 suppressor.
Josh Denny wrote:AAC M4000 for .223, which I assume you would not want to use for .22LR due to inability to break down for cleaning.
Good choice.
Josh Denny wrote:Thanks everyone.
Your welcome. :)
VA3shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by VA3shooter »

As far as a .22 pistol goes----I second the idea of a Buckmark (just find the cheapest one that you can---in $200 range) and add a TacSol threaded barrel ($190 shipped---so you're at $400 for your threaded pistol)...sounds like you are on the right track with your planning :wink:
JPratt06
Silent But Deadly

Post by JPratt06 »

Josh Denny wrote:Hello all,

First off, in the thought of doing more with less, would an Evo-40 work well with 9mm guns as well? I realize we are looking at a larger diameter bore for the 9mm bullets but this would allow me to suppress .40S&W, 10mm & 9mm. Any thoughts? First hand experiences?

I'll be trying out my Evo-40 on a .40 S&W G35, hopefully within a week or two (I'm away at college, the can is at home). Al Paulsen was impressed, and the db levels when he tested it were like 132 iirc. The evo-9 is somewhere around 125-126db iirc. I'll let you know how it sounds once I get the chance, and I would assume that 9mm through the .40 can would actually be quieter than .40 thru said can. This is because the powder charge is significantly less.
ΜΟΛΩÎ
Josh Denny

Post by Josh Denny »

Wow everybody. Thanks for chiming in and answering all of my questions. This gives me some good brain food to digest and see where I want to go.

As to why I chose the Pilot, just from reviews, although I thought it was disassembleable (I made that up :) ). Judging from the inquiry I guess it's not.

At this point I have not really settled on any one can as a definite or any order of which I will purchase them but I figure I will start with a .22 can and then a 9mm can and go from there.

I will spend some time researching the other suppressors mentioned here and see what will work best for me. I'll let you guys know when I decide.

Thanks again.